Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More news:

According to VG it was observed smoke while charging, and then the charging cable was removed (and probably hanged in position as observed on film/photos). Then it devloped into a fire.

http://www.vg.no/forbruker/bil-baat...mmisjonen-undersoeker-tesla-brann/a/23591197/

(Google translate)

According to sheriff Odd Holum in Risor, which is responsible for the investigation of the fire, they have their theories about what has happened. But so far they have no answers as to how the fire in the popular electric car which should have been charged and when the fire started, arose.
- We have not reached any final conclusion on this no. We have completed surveys of the charging station but will take the car to further investigations indoor and dismantle it completely.

According Holum car should have been plugged in rapid charging station when it was discovered smoke. Charging policy shall then have been disconnected.
Holum says that they have had a close and good cooperation with the Norwegian representatives for the US electric car manufacturer.

The only person who could've unplugged the supercharger cable is the driver (since he probably locked the car)
I would love to hear his account...

You would not be alone.
And the driver was not the new owner, according to what I have read somewhere or other.
Ze would thus have some very valuable eyw-witness observations to share with the investigating commission, and other relevant parties.

I have troubles understanding the meaning of 'police released the charging station'. I wonder if that means that they stopped investigating the charging station as a potential cause.

My take on that is the following:

Others here have suggested that the Supercharger being used was a temporary (movable) SC. That being the case, I would guess "releasing the charging station" could mean allowing Tesla to take it away and start their own investigation of it.

Just a guess.

The only person who could've unplugged the supercharger cable is the driver (since he probably locked the car)
I would love to hear his account...

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is telling the owner to NOT speak about this until the investigation is complete. Very similar to the lightning strike situation. As long as the investigation doesn't point to anything like aftermarket audio equipment (which could have run wires right next to the back of the chargeport) I imagine Tesla will be replacing the entire car, per Elon's "If it burns, we'll replace it" promise of last year or so.

Can anyone identify the make of the 2nd car in on the bottom in this photo?

It is sometimes extremely difficult to pinpoint an exact root cause of some incidents. Often the cause can not be positively proven, the possible causes can be speculated in most probable terms.

In some freakish incidents, only people with specific expertise and experience may have a chance to come up with plausible explanations.

This morning, in pouring rain, there was a huge fire in a car auction yard in Sydney. More than 120 cars were destroyed in a few hours it took to put out the fire. I heard over the radio that the car battery is suspected as a cause, but I could not find any write up on the possible cause yet, only tweets.

View attachment 106720

Norwegian speakers:

can the word that is being translated as "released" better be translated as "ruled out"?

No, "released" is the correct translation. And that means probably that they let Tesla - or their electricians - get free access to the charger for their own investigation / tests / repair . Until it was released I think that they was not allowed access without been in company with someone from the police.

After Tesla has access, I'm willing to bet they will release some preliminary results quicker than the official investigation. A couple months is long enough for everyone to forget already, but I think Tesla wants to at least have some preliminary information first out there. For example if the supercharger was not responsible for the fire, that is very relevant information to know, even if the actual cause isn't known yet.

After Tesla has access, I'm willing to bet they will release some preliminary results quicker than the official investigation. A couple months is long enough for everyone to forget already, but I think Tesla wants to at least have some preliminary information first out there. For example if the supercharger was not responsible for the fire, that is very relevant information to know, even if the actual cause isn't known yet.

On the flip side they could be better off saying nothing.

Pre-empting the official result would not necessarily be the correct thing to do. It tends to upset people, and certainly won't be seen as impartial.

Let it lie, it will be forgotten about in a week or so time.

Us Tesla fans will no doubt pick over the bones of the official report, but Joe Public will be reading about the XP100D, or some such headline grabbing article, not some boring Norwegian fire report.

I think the preliminary conclusion from the police probably won't take that long to become public. I suspect we will get more information once they are done disassembling the car, so maybe a few days.

After the police announces it's preliminary conclusion, Tesla should release a statement highlighting the relevant facts. Like how no one was hurt, there was ample time after the fire started to exit the vehicle had anyone been inside, the battery pack is fire isulated in many different ways and did not catch fire, this fire can't happen again because of X, Y and Z, etc. Then finish off the statement with a broad statement like "The Tesla Model S is one of the safest cars on the road today, it scored 5 stars in every category in safety testing, and we will always be working on making our vehicles even more safe."

I think the preliminary conclusion from the police probably won't take that long to become public. I suspect we will get more information once they are done disassembling the car, so maybe a few days.

After the police announces it's preliminary conclusion, Tesla should release a statement highlighting the relevant facts. Like how no one was hurt, there was ample time after the fire started to exit the vehicle had anyone been inside, the battery pack is fire isulated in many different ways and did not catch fire, this fire can't happen again because of X, Y and Z, etc. Then finish off the statement with a broad statement like "The Tesla Model S is one of the safest cars on the road today, it scored 5 stars in every category in safety testing, and we will always be working on making our vehicles even more safe."

Replace the red bit with "we are working in close partnership with authorities" and I'd agree ;)

Looks like the Accident Investigation Board usually takes 3-6 months to investigate. So this incident will be mostly forgotten by the time the report comes out.

Perhaps 3-6 months may be required to investigate more complex incidents like crashes, where there are many witnesses and stakeholders that need to be traced and interviewed.

My inclination about this incident is that time does not play much of a role in pinpointing the probable cause. If they can do it, it will be done within weeks.

Accident Investigation Board likely has some capable highly trained people that are experienced in investigation protocols.

In this specific fire, specific expertise may be required to be able to accurately troubleshoot the original cause of the fire.

Currently, such specific expertise only exists within Tesla. I would be surprised if AIB can confidently pinpoint the cause without full understanding of the car and without Tesla's input. That holds if the cause is within the car and not external.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone identify the make of the 2nd car in on the bottom in this photo?

One more link related to a large car fire, with videos, for the curious ones

Fire started at 6am, was distinguished at 8:30am, in pouring rain

I like this photo, victorious fire fighters with their loot

FireF.JPG

Likely not, do you have any insight as to how much data is uploaded "real time" (or some form of "dying gasp" protocol)? it's quite possible that something useful was sent to Tesla before it was destroyed?

Most logging appear to be stored locally in the car, and retrieved by Tesla as needed... not sure if anything useful would be sent in this situation... probably not, but I could be wrong.