Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they find something and if it's possible correct it. (Even better would be the outside cause, of course.)
I've taken a couple of cross-country trips with my dogs and left them in the car while supercharging. With this possibility out there I'm much less comfortable with that. (I regularly ping my app to make sure the a/c is on, but a fire is something much worse.)
ICE vehicles do catch fire, but they don't tend to do it if you've left them alone for 20 or 30 minutes while "refueling". Attempts to say "it could happen to anyone" don't really persuade me.

static electricity gas pump fire - Google Search

I hope they find something and if it's possible correct it. (Even better would be the outside cause, of course.)
I've taken a couple of cross-country trips with my dogs and left them in the car while supercharging. With this possibility out there I'm much less comfortable with that. (I regularly ping my app to make sure the a/c is on, but a fire is something much worse.)
ICE vehicles do catch fire, but they don't tend to do it if you've left them alone for 20 or 30 minutes while "refueling". Attempts to say "it could happen to anyone" don't really persuade me.

Cars do catch of fire after being parked. Sometimes in garages.

It looks like I was right when I said the best thing for Tesla would be NO COMMENT. It appears that is their position. Good for them!

Yeah that Ostrich defense is always the best play. That really helps provide answers to all who were concerned about why it happened--oh yeah that's just great news!

Yes. It is nice to get some more information about this. Agree with AR that this is unlikely to happen. I believe if TM felt it was a design issue with the car or the charger that they would notify owners...or if a problem with service..the service personnel. EX: They were quick to respond to undercarriage damage to the battery packs by road debris when it appeared it was not a single isolated case.

Everyone who thinks Tesla should comment on this has never worked with or against a high powered lawyer. Try it sometime, it's eye opening.
Right. I recall a lawyer who argued that tires were prone to tear themselves apart because the top of the tire was going twice as fast at the bottom. The rationale was that the bottom of the tire was static in relation to the pavement so the top had to be going at double the speed.

Yes. It is nice to get some more information about this. Agree with AR that this is unlikely to happen. I believe if TM felt it was a design issue with the car or the charger that they would notify owners...or if a problem with service..the service personnel. EX: They were quick to respond to undercarriage damage to the battery packs by road debris when it appeared it was not a single isolated case.

Don't forget about the seat-belt recall.

Yeah that Ostrich defense is always the best play. That really helps provide answers to all who were concerned about why it happened--oh yeah that's just great news!

I understand that a core group of folks want to know what happened, but from Tesla's perspective it obviously makes little sense to dredge up this incident to satisfy a tiny, fractional minority of people. The fire didn't impact the stock price, it had no material impact on Tesla's operations and it barely stayed in the news cycle for more than a day or two. The only place I continue to read about it is here.

I understand that a core group of folks want to know what happened, but from Tesla's perspective it obviously makes little sense to dredge up this incident to satisfy a tiny, fractional minority of people. The fire didn't impact the stock price, it had no material impact on Tesla's operations and it barely stayed in the news cycle for more than a day or two. The only place I continue to read about it is here.

That seems weird, when one unsecured seatbelt caused a global recall.

Tesla is wise to "put out the fire" quietly (har).

There is a public perception that EV's are fire hazards, largely due to the huge press the 2 Chevrolet Volt fires received.

So far, only the 2 NHTSA test cars have been proven to be caused by the cars, none have occurred in the wild, that were not arson, structure fire, or poor charging wiring.

All makes of cars suffer from arson fires, but especially newer cars that the owners cannot afford.