Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this pop is in the battery pack itself. It could however be the high voltage DC lines from the supercharger being shorted. Or possibly the high voltage lines of the battery being shorted. The duration and intensity of the fire just isn't compatible with the battery burning.

The battery is separated into 16 modules, each contained in their own fire-resitant boxes. If the entire battery pack would burn, you would expect the fire to slowly move from module to module, taking hours to move through the pack. Instead, the fire was already subsiding by the time the fire department arrived, and with a little foam it died down pretty quick.

Maybe one or two modules at the back were involved, but I doubt even that.
I think you are severely overestimating these boxes. With all the heat from the fire I wouldn't be surprised if that was already enough that some batteries went critical.

I think you are severely overestimating these boxes. With all the heat from the fire I wouldn't be surprised if that was already enough that some batteries went critical.
All the other accident related fires were able to contain the fire inside the pack and have it vent forwards. So from a fire started from a short inside the battery, I think the boxes are able to do the job.

The only one where it was hard to tell was the one where the car was ripped in half in LA, but even in that example it didn't melt all the aluminum.

Some really interesting info here on the approved tactics for fighting EV and hybrid fires.

Tactical Considerations for Extinguishing Fires in Hybrid and Electric Vehicles - YouTube

As others have rightly pointed water can be used, the problem is the quantities. One test using what looked like a Leaf size battery required 2,600 gallons of water, presumably a Tesla requires even more.

I guess in LA they could use fire hydrants, and because the pack had split open, getting water onto the cells was more straightforward.

We won't know until the official report comes out if adequate water supply was a factor in this case, but leaving the car to burn (which they didn't/couldn't do in LA) and keeping water to protect the surrounding area might have been a factor.

Rather than just assume the firefighters didn't know how to deal with EV fires, we should probably give them the benefit of the doubt. (Esp. given the outcome of minimal collateral damage and zero injuries ;) )

There are no airbags in the rear of the car.

Here is a loop from the news video. Looks like it originated from location of rear tire. I don't know if tires can pop like that when burning. This could have been side airbag that detached and rolled from it's original location due to aluminum structure melting. To me, the pop sounds too loud to be just from short circuit of supercharger cable. I disagree that this was due to lithium battery. They don't pop like that.

There aren't any batteries either, not behind the rear wheels. That seemed to shoot out of the very rear of the vehicle, almost at a 45degree angle. I suppose a cell from the back of the pack could have shot out at that angle, but I'd think it would hit the drivetrain, or come out with more vertical trajectory. Plus I'd expect more than one cell to pop. Not sure we can conclude either way yet.

There aren't any batteries either, not behind the rear wheels. That seemed to shoot out of the very rear of the vehicle, almost at a 45degree angle. I suppose a cell from the back of the pack could have shot out at that angle, but I'd think it would hit the drivetrain, or come out with more vertical trajectory. Plus I'd expect more than one cell to pop. Not sure we can conclude either way yet.
Right, from the LA accident where it was clear cells were actually on fire, they popped out individually. They did not all just pop at the same time at once.

- - - Updated - - -

Some one pointed out the supercharger cables appeared to still be intact which kind of rules out the fire starting outside the car at the supercharger. Does anyone know if these stalls used the liquid cooled cables or the old version?

63ec2adc-5712-4bd7-84be-a097ae92a781.jpg

It could be something stored in the trunk. This is the season for fireworks, just to mention it...

lol, I was going to mention the same thing!

However it's all speculation.

Where the fault occurred, and whatever caused it is a bit moot though. The end result is a molten blob of aluminium in a Norwegian car park where a Tesla should be :(

Let's leave it to Tesla and/or the fire investigators to determine the cause, and do whatever is necessary to prevent it happening again. TBH that's all we can ask for.

There are airbag inflator cylinders above both of the rear doors. The curtain airbags also goes all the way to the rear window. There are also two gas struts in the back for the hatch. Quick diagram using the picture from the ERG.
model_s_rear.jpg

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/en_EU/emergency_response_guide.pdf?1512

This is what it looks like when a gas strut explodes in a fire (skip to 1:20), looks pretty similar to the Model S video (the direction is the same too):

Last edited by a moderator:
This incident could have been catastrophic had the owner and his family remained in the car. Or imagine this scene at tejon ranch last week. Don't see much value in speculating from our vantage point at all. IMO

This incident could have been catastrophic had the owner and his family remained in the car.

Why would they have remained in the car? You see smoke (or smell it), you get out. Don't you? I'm not sure I know anyone who would purposely wait for the flames or for the flames to engulf them before thinking about exiting the vehicle. Previous fires have had the car warn the driver to pull over long before any flames occurred.