Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would they have remained in the car? You see smoke (or smell it), you get out. Don't you? I'm not sure I know anyone who would purposely wait for the flames or for the flames to engulf them before thinking about exiting the vehicle. Previous fires have had the car warn the driver to pull over long before any flames occurred.

Do the doors open from the inside when 12V is unexpectedly cut off?

That is alarmist. If you think that is a risk, you shouldn't leave kids in an ICE ever.

Unless you're talking about an infant, whom you should not leave alone period, you can be sure kids will get themselves out of a burning car!

The supercharger slots can be very narrow at times. I've experienced both cars having to fold mirrors. My wife now thinks Tesla should increase spacing in the supercharger slots for safety reasons, in the unlikely case of an emergency evacuation. Lack of space between charging cars shouldn't obstruct opening a car door full up or impede escaping to the front of the car in case the charger in the back burns.

The supercharger slots can be very narrow at times. I've experienced both cars having to fold mirrors. My wife now thinks Tesla should increase spacing in the supercharger slots for safety reasons, in the unlikely case of an emergency evacuation. Lack of space between charging cars shouldn't obstruct opening a car door full up or impede escaping to the front of the car in case the charger in the back burns.
If I'm trying to urgently get people out the least thing I'm concerned about is denting someone's car. It would be a serious design flaw on Tesla's part if there is no way to get people out normally..let alone an emergency.

An anti-Tesla troll once tried to say to me that a Tesla spontaneously erupted in Toronto. Linked to a CTV story about a garage fire. Nowhere did it say that the Tesla was the cause of the fire.
That Toronto one is a bit of a mystery, several news outlets blamed it on the Tesla, Tesla said they were investigating, but no final verdict ever appeared anywhere on what actually happened.

you know, to kind of point out the obvious, this kinda is a HUGE REMINDER not to leave your kids in the back seat of your MS even for quick errands or a quick trip to the bathroom while supercharging.

Are you joking? Are you also leaving HUGE REMINDERS on ICE forums not to leave your kids in the back seats of cars while fueling at gas stations because of the danger of explosions?

Are you joking? Are you also leaving HUGE REMINDERS on ICE forums not to leave your kids in the back seats of cars while fueling at gas stations because of the danger of explosions?

After seeing that picture I couldn't morally leave any aged person inside a car while supercharging. That is until we find out what happened. You would have no worries?

A Model S just caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

You would have no worries?
Call me irrational, until this is investigated I will still think the safest place to be is inside a Tesla.
Heck, after seeing this picture with the B Pillars and Seat Frames standing up unbent, I'll probably take my chances in a tornado staying strapped in my S.

Last edited:
After seeing that picture I couldn't morally leave any aged person inside a car while supercharging. That is until we find out what happened. You would have no worries?
Her point was that gas station fires happen quite commonly when refueling. The same thing could happen to an ICE vehicle and most people don't mind leaving kids in the car while refueling.

In general, I think the biggest risk of leaving kids in the car (ones who are unable to open the doors themselves) is from heatstroke if you happen to forget. There's been a couple of tragedies that happened because parents were going to do a "quick" errand and then forgot the kids were still in the car.

I think it is important to know how the fire developed. Previous fires have started slowly and built up over time, allowing occupants to exit safely. The issue seems to be they can't be extinguished. They just burn until the car is consumed. Very different then the explosive nature of gasoline based vehicles.

One of the big things that concerns me about the X in the event of a fire or an accident that disables the falcon doors (say, 12V system failure due to serious front impact damage) how do you exit? According to the First Responder's guide, the method if power is lost is to remove the speaker grills and pull the manual release cable. How would a passenger know to do this? It's worse if a fire is involved. I don't like that. At least on the S the door release cable is easy to pull without the speaker grill.

Also, I'm wondering if the doors automatically unlatch in the case of an accident (I would guess they do, but I don't see anything in the guide that says they do.)

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/2016_Model_X_Emergency_Response_Guide.pdf?1512

(page 25)

@Doug_G..Any such fire accidents of Tesla are you aware of happening when charging at Home??

There was a home charging fire in late 2013 in Irvine, CA involving a 50A socket and a UMC. IIRC, the fire started at the NEMA 14-50 adaptor/wall socket, but Tesla and the FD disagreed over the cause (fault in the socket the led to the adapt or vice versa) and the physical evidence was ambiguous. I have not heard of anything after that.

O