TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A Model S owner hit 75,000 miles, still gets 93% of original range

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by EarlyAdopter, Apr 23, 2014.

1. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

A Model S owner over on the official TM site has hit 75,000 miles (!!), and still gets 93% (246 rated / 278 ideal) on a full charge. AMAZING!

He also mentions his air suspension is still going strong. The longevity of our cars is looking good.

Battery Longevity @ 75 Thousand Miles | Forums | Tesla Motors

Rated:
    75Ka.jpg

Ideal:
    75Kb.jpg

2. drees

drees Active Member

Just remember that an accelerated test like this isn't going to represent results that someone who drives 12k miles/year is going to see after 6-7 years because lithium batteries age just sitting around. I bet that a 6-7 year old car with ~75k miles will be down somewhere around 85% if not lower.

3. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

That's pretty good. The Roadster battery lost around 0.16% per 1000 miles, so it would have lost something like 12%.

7% over 75k miles means that if the current degradation continues, you'd be looking at around 70% remaining capacity after 300k miles.

(I wouldn't go so far as to say *amazing* - this is about what one could expect given the larger size of the Model S battery vs the Roadster battery, and that it is a newer design.)

- - - Updated - - -

I agree age is the biggest question - I hope the battery will last something like 150k miles over 15 years. (Cars are generally scrapped here after ~20 years on the road, and the average mileage is around 10k miles/year.)

The good thing with the Roadster data is that it shows no correlation between age and degradation. If the Model S performs similarly, age won't ruin the battery.

4. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Soon enough Tesla is going to have to think about a trade in program for new batteries for owners whose batteries have dropped below, say, 75%. Good for recycling and hopefully exchange price. That or a lease program for new batteries.

5. Matias

Matias Active Member

#5 Matias, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Age related capacity loss correlates strongly with temperature (and SOC)

attachment.php?attachmentid=23059&stc=1&d=1370224174.png

6. rlang59

rlang59 Member

You aren't going to see anything like that until Tesla isn't battery constrained anymore.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That's what I was thinking. There's calendar life as well as charge cycle degradation.

8. Raven5000

Raven5000 Member

20 miles lost after 75k that doesn't sound good to me. Just my opinion

9. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Around 150 miles per day, he's exercising that battery in a much different way than the average driver. I'm nearly at 30K miles in 16 months, but clearly using my car much differently. I'm not sure we can draw any huge conclusions about the battery degradation from this one data point with exceptional usage pattern.

10. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

My 60's still holding up, still hitting 206-209 Rated even after 27,000 in less then a year. I should at least be at 30k by the time I hit the one year point, so We will see what happens then. So far, estatic on the battery life!

11. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Try that in a Nissan LEAF! Since those don't have a thermal management system like the Model S, owners are seeing total range go down to the 30 mile area. They've made the car even worse now that 2014 owners can only charge to 100%. For those interested, there's more here: Japan's Electric Taxis Falling Out Of Favor With Drivers

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#12 Lloyd, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    And he has Fog Lights too!

13. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

My battery is pushing 1.5 years old and 8,000 miles (low mileage daily driver) and I've seen all of 2 miles of degredation.

Calendar degredation only occurs under high SOC coupled with high temperature. My car sees neither of those, hence no caldendar degredation.

No, I stand by my statement that these results are amazing as many expected the battery would be down to 70% capacity after 120,000 miles. This data suggests that will be more like 300,000+ miles.

14. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

That article is based on MY11 LEAFs. The battery chemistry was changed for MY13. Additionally, the MY13 and MY14 LEAFs are more efficient in the Winter.

15. GDH

GDH Banned

75K geez!.....where is this person driving too?, I barely put 50 miles week on my car.

16. evme

evme Member

17. GDH

GDH Banned

That link to me to my own cars profile on the Tesla site.

18. evme

evme Member

That is weird. Try opening a private/incognito tab? Maybe some cookies are redirecting you.

19. rlang59

rlang59 Member

The first click on the official forum links almost always do that, just click it again.

20. GDH

GDH Banned

This worked!