Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A most unfortunate event :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we have to get a new MS, it's going to have all of the following for sure: Green (or, maybe, Steel Gray), 85 kWh (yes, I've seen the light!), Tech + Parking Sensors, Air and Dual Chargers. Will go for the textile seats this time.

Once again, thank you all.

If=hopefully soon

Awesome config although if any 60 drivers see you they'll know you switched sides:)

I hope insurance works out for you to get another one. Driving such a safe and fun car is a luxury but a nice one.

She mentioned out of her own volition this morning that she wanted to send a thank-you email to Elon and the Tesla family for making this car happen.

If we have to get a new MS, it's going to have all of the following for sure: Green (or, maybe, Steel Gray), 85 kWh (yes, I've seen the light!), Tech + Parking Sensors, Air and Dual Chargers. Will go for the textile seats this time.

Once again, thank you all.

I have not even purchased Model S but so far three of the forum members have called me suggesting ideas and I have people inviting me to meet and lots of people sharing their ideas in this forum.. This is awesome group of people I have ever met.

It is a fact that we are one of the most active forum ever

Vishy I am sharing this news with my wife who was a naysayer to start with but was surprised that no one was hurt after looking at the pictures of your car....

Awesome car and Awesome forum members

I dreaded reading that headline.
So glad to hear you and your son is OK!
Hope you are back in a new MS soon. In the end - one realizes all things are material - one can always get a replacement car.
We are so lucky to have a vehicle that does such a good job protecting us.

I will forgive you if you get the Steel Grey. ;) In all seriousness, if they can somehow salvage the car, but you need to replace all four rims...you know who to call!

gg...glad you're OK. Syncope while driving is really scary. Cars can be replaced--people not so much.

A friend in the SF Bay Area went through this a few years ago after a similar but less major episode (related to new anti-hypertensive medications).

You will first need to get medical clearance -you need to be worked up (and not just the CT head you probably had in the ER) and see if you have anything serious/permanent that might prevent you from driving in CA. Check of medications, chronic conditions, etc. Then you will need to bring documentation to the DMV and fill out specific forms that your MD signs. The forms get reviewed (...takes time) and then the DMV decides if you will be allowed to be re-licensed. You will then need to take a new and very thorough road test, which includes a non-standard test where the examiner makes you drive through a neighborhood, and then asks you to return the same way, to see if you are paying attention (...so when you schedule your exam and pick your DMV office, be sure to spend some quality time driving around the neighborhood around the DMV office to get a bit of familiarity (...and pay attention)). And also the DMV examiner will do a safety check on your vehicle, so be sure all lights, wipers and horn work as well as turn signals and brake lights.

It's a major PITA, but it can be done.

As GasDoc said, if we can help, shout out....

GG,

So very, very sorry to read this. When I saw the title and that you were the original poster, my heart sank.

Although we've never met in person, I feel quite a kinship to you--we both have the same alma mater, both got our cars at almost the same time, have both been active on this forum for many years, and now have both gone through the experience of losing our awesome cars....and within 2 months of each other, no less.

First and most importantly, I am glad to hear that you and your son are ok. Although my sons were not in my car at the time of my accident, I remember hugging both of them and my wife very tightly after I got home. We are lucky to have been driving a tank. Keep forward-most in your mind that things could have been much, much worse.

I can also relate to the feeling you likely have right now that yesterday feels like a dream. You might be kept up at night, reliving those moments, wishing if and wondering how things could have been different. But in the end, you and your son came through unscathed, and that is by far the most important thing of all.

Although it sounds like you have a few medical hoops to jump through, take heart that you WILL be in a Model S again.

I have recently gone through the process with the insurance company and all of that--so if you need advice or have any questions about any of this, just PM me.

One more thing: less than 2 months ago, I was sitting in a wrecked Model S, off in the trees by the side of the road. Although there was initial heartbreak, it will soon pass when it really sinks in that, as cool as it is, your car was really just a heap of metal and plastic that can and will be replaced.

Take a look at my signature. i'm confident that before to long, yours will have something similar. Once you handle the medical concerns, you can look at this as an opportunity to upgrade/modernize. You already have your wife's support, after all.

Again, very sorry to hear of your accident, very happy to hear everyone is ok, and I'm looking forward to the stories about your new 85 once it arrives.

Todd

A lapse of consciousness does not, of itself, mandate a report by the doctor to the local health department, and thus to the DMV. The trigger for a mandatory report by a doctor is: "the physician and surgeon [sic] has diagnosed [the patient] as having a case of a disorder characterized by lapses of consciousness."

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=HSC&sectionNum=103900.

Regardless of whether a report is mandated, of course, you should consider the advice of your doctor concerning driving.

Just adding to this community's wishes for a speedy recovery - your Tesla did what it had to do to protect you and your family. Best wishes - and think up a good new Username!

Also, I'm quite happy with textile seats, they are quite comfy and seem like they will wear well . Good luck!