TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A new CANBus Explorer for iOS

Discussion in 'Technical' started by AllAboutJake, Feb 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. AllAboutJake

AllAboutJake New Member

Hi Folks,

I have been working on an iOS CANBus visualization tool and I think its time to get some a few more willing test subjects to give it a try. If you frequent the M3OC (now TOO) forum, you have have seen a preview of it as @JWardell has been testing it and using it for reverse engineering some signals:

1. Customizable "gauges" or widgets for various CANBus signals. A "binary matrix" widget for looking at the raw bits when reverse engineering.
    2. Preconfigured database with Model 3, S, and X signals. (Though S/X can use some work as I don't own one for testing, and those guys don't have @JWardell to make a nice, maintained DBC)
    3. Ability to interact with common CANbus formats: Ability to import DBC files and playback raw text logs or ASC files from iCloud drive. (no logging yet, I'll get there eventually)
    4. Make your own custom scriptable signals using JavaScript. (Can do some pretty powerful stuff with this)
    5. Presets for different cars (I'm calling a list of signals and a screen of widgets a "preset" and you can swap back and forth between cars or different sets.)
    6. Ability to visualize LIVE CANBus data with an OBDLink MX+ dongle (yes, MX+ is required because of iOS restrictions, no other accessories are supported.)
    7. Built using modern iOS development techniques (SwiftUI, Swift Combine) though some of these are very new from Apple and cause some instability at times. YMMV.
    8. Gauges track min/max values and can use absolute ranges based on signal DBC definition or auto-range based on these limits.

If you have an OBDLink MX+ wired up into your CANBus and are interested in testing, send me a private message. I'd love some S/X testers if we have any lurking.

I'm working on the next build so I'm expecting to be ready for some testing next week.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. JWardell

JWardell Member

It's an impressive app that has already help me dial in some signals I have been trouble reverse engineering for many months. And Jake has been working hard with constant improvements.
    I encourage folks to test it out. I'll try to have a more in-depth video closer to official app release.

3. JWardell

JWardell Member

I just posted a video walking through some of the advanced features:

4. CaptMhack

CaptMhack Member

Wow! We really need that app on iOS!

• Love x 1
  5. JWardell

JWardell Member

6. agbot

agbot Member

I bought an ODBII Adapter and an ODBLink MX+, but the ODBLink doesn't report an ODB or Host signal. Power and BT pairing work fine, and the car (2019 Model 3) operates normally so the adapter seems to be installed correctly. tesLAX shows no data, but if ODBLink isn't giving me an ODB light, I guess I wouldn't expect it to.

I know this isn't really a tesLAX problem, but figured I'd hit you up for any ideas as I try to troubleshoot. :)

7. AllAboutJake

AllAboutJake New Member

I have that same cable, but my car is a 2018 so I have the other version. That would be my first thought is to check the adapter harness. I don't know how technical you are but if you have a multimeter and a pinout of the connector you can make sure that all the data pins are making it to the OBDLink dongle.

The second test would be try the OBDLink with the standard software in another car just to make sure it is in working order.

Yeah, if you don't have data flowing then tesLAX won't be much help. Maybe some other folks here have some ideas.

8. agbot

agbot Member

I do have a multimeter - I'll check continuity on the harness (well, as best I can without a pinout on the harness, but maybe GPS America can give me some specific tips for the data pins). Also, I'll have to track down another car for an ODBLink sanity check, although this whole shelter in place makes things a bit more difficult these days. Thanks for the reply!

Regardless, looking forward to playing with tesLAX once I get this first part resolved. :)

9. JWardell

JWardell Member

Is Teslax able to successfully start the connection? You really won't get lights till it configures the adapter.
    Otherwise you might have a bad harness?

10. AllAboutJake

AllAboutJake New Member

That a good point. I have seen cases where the MX+ doesn't initialize. IT responds to the ATZ command but doesn't start montitoring when requested with at "STM" command for some reason. It doesn't happen often. Sometimes during development, I've seen a hard reset (disconnect the MX+ and reconnect) and a re-paring could help.

11. AllAboutJake

AllAboutJake New Member

One other note. I do keep my OBDLink MX+ on the latest firmware when developing tesLAX. You need to use the OBDLink app from the manufacturer to do this. I think mine is currently on firmware v5.3.1

• Like x 1
  12. GtiMart

GtiMart Member

Am I allowed to say I'm disappointed this app isn't available on Android? :) It looks great.

13. tinkererguy

tinkererguy Paul Braren TinkerTry.com/Tesla

FYI, I might be in this camp, will give that idea a try.

I've also just published an article and 4K video, featuring my easy DIY OBDLink MX+ install:
    https://TinkerTry.com/tesla-stats-for-nerds featured.png

• Like x 1