Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A new CANBus Explorer for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Model Y, what is considered the most accurate speed field (not the UI speed, which is purposely inaccurate)? Also, can the GPS speed be directly recorded? What signal? The GPS Speed from 0X3D9 is showing over 100 kph, which is way too high for what I am driving.

The UI shows the internal speed always rounded up to the next whole number. Yeah, I can't quite make sense of the GPS vehicle speed yet

Hi folks. I just released tesLAX v1.5 to the AppStore with many improvements and support for (some?) WiFi based OBD-2 dongles. I use the "vLinker MC WiFi" as it supports the ST-command set with filtering to prevent too much data from flooding the line. It should also work with WiFi-based ELM327 dongles, but the performance is terrible and you'll see lots of buffer overruns and dropped packets-- good enough for casual viewing. (I've tested the "vGate iCar Pro" in this regard) Anything that supports AT- or ST- over a TCP connection should work

Since I can't test with every possible WiFi dongle on the market, let me know how it works for you. Send me a DM or find me on Discord.

This version has support for the new protocol extensions used by Josh's CANServer which now supports filtering.

Also I'm planning support for BLE-based dongles in a future update. If you have one of those, and are interested in beta testing, also reach out. (Note iOS only supports "Classic" bluetooth for certified accessories, meaning, the OBDLink MX+ is the only game in town. However, for "Bluetooth Low Energy" there is more freedom and more options. tesLAX will continue to only support the MX+ for traditional bluetooth, but in the next update hopes to work with "BLE" or "4.0" compatible dongles.... however I expect the performance to be poorer as the low-energy nature of BLE means its not good for high bandwidth stuff.)

Hi folks. I just released tesLAX v1.5 to the AppStore...

Thanks for the update as I'm interested in seeing all the data that your app can provide. I'm new to this but I why would somebody want to use Wi-Fi instead of BT, as with Wi-Fi you would lose the internet on your phone? I was thinking about getting the OBDLink MX+ scanner, but wonder if I'm missing something about wi-fi (high data rates maybe)?

Also, at the end of the day, which adapter would you recommend using with TesLAX?

Thanks for the update as I'm interested in seeing all the data that your app can provide. I'm new to this but I why would somebody want to use Wi-Fi instead of BT, as with Wi-Fi you would lose the internet on your phone? I was thinking about getting the OBDLink MX+ scanner, but wonder if I'm missing something about wi-fi (high data rates maybe)?

Also, at the end of the day, which adapter would you recommend using with TesLAX?

WiFi accessories do dedicate the WiFi interface to the accessory. On phones with cellular connections, however, the phone will defer to the cellular network when connected to an access point that is not proving internet access.

Funny you ask which adapter I'd recommend. I don't endorse any specific hardware, but I did just post a rundown of the accessories I use to develop and test tesLAX, as well as some pros and cons:

Supported Hardware • tesLAX

The MX+ gives moderate performance on a single bus. One unique advantage is that it provides better background execution than other accessories, because "MFi" accessories are blessed with an additional background mode.

While I've just started testing with them, I'm impressed by the vLinker accessories. The WiFi version gives impressive data rates, and uses what I suspect may be a clone of the chip in the OBDLink MX+. (The BLE version is not yet supported by tesLAX, as BLE is not yet supported at all.)

If you're a DIY type, check out Josh Wardell's CANServer. Impressive data rates over Wifi using the Panda protocol, --- and lots of additional functionality, like on-board logging to an SD card. Works great for real-time visualization with tesLAX. It also has an ecosystem of "micro displays" and other cool add-ons.

• Informative
Reactions: Stach and JWardell
WiFi accessories do dedicate the WiFi interface to the accessory. On phones with cellular connections, however, the phone will defer to the cellular network when connected to an access point that is not proving internet access.

Funny you ask which adapter I'd recommend. I don't endorse any specific hardware, but I did just post a rundown of the accessories I use to develop and test tesLAX, as well as some pros and cons:

Supported Hardware • tesLAX

The MX+ gives moderate performance on a single bus. One unique advantage is that it provides better background execution than other accessories, because "MFi" accessories are blessed with an additional background mode.

While I've just started testing with them, I'm impressed by the vLinker accessories. The WiFi version gives impressive data rates, and uses what I suspect may be a clone of the chip in the OBDLink MX+. (The BLE version is not yet supported by tesLAX, as BLE is not yet supported at all.)

If you're a DIY type, check out Josh Wardell's CANServer. Impressive data rates over Wifi using the Panda protocol, --- and lots of additional functionality, like on-board logging to an SD card. Works great for real-time visualization with tesLAX. It also has an ecosystem of "micro displays" and other cool add-ons.
Hello, I currently have a PLX Kiwi 3 Bluetooth that I use in my other vehicles, is that one that you will be supporting?

Hello, I currently have a PLX Kiwi 3 Bluetooth that I use in my other vehicles, is that one that you will be supporting?

Maybe? I probably won’t be investing in too many more dongles. I’ve already more than makes sense but I think that one is BLE and probably AT command set so it probably will work. May need to figure out some BLE ID’s to talk to it, though.

if you want to join the next beta and try, send me a private message and I’ll get you added when the next round of testing starts soon.

Thanks for your help on this. As a thank you, and in case you already don't have it, here is an AppStore promo code for a tesLAX subscription in-app-purchase. 44FLNJ9PPYNF -- Apple's promo code expire in 29 days, so its good for about that period. If you're already a paying customer, thank you! Feel free to give it away to a friend.

For those interested, I just released "tes•LAX v1.6" with some slightly revised branding. Of specific interest, support for BLE OBD-2 dongles like the OBDLink CX, and vLinker MC+, etc.

It should work with most serial ELM237 dongles over BLE... but BLE has a system of service UUIDs and characteristic UUIDs and I might not have every obscure dongle accounted for. Advanced users can add their own BLE ID's in the settings if they have something that doesn't work out of the box.

I have to say I'm impressed with the OBDLink CX, as it has good performance at its price point. The vLinker MC+ with BLE is nice too because it also has the ST-command set. But with all of these BLE dongles, keep in mind a malicious user can connect to an unpaired dongle... a pretty big security problem. (Some WiFi dongles also have this problem if they cannot be secured with a password)

Also there's a Mazda 3 profile in there from @pyjamasam, showing how you can configure tes•LAX for any vehicle with a CAN bus. If you create anything neat for another vehicle (using public-domain information), let me know and maybe I can include it in the default library of presets.

Reactions: JWardell
For those interested, I just released "tes•LAX v1.6" with some slightly revised branding. Of specific interest, support for BLE OBD-2 dongles like the OBDLink CX, and vLinker MC+, etc.

Sad to report there is a minor bug in tesLAX 1.6 that prevents the "Extra Strength" unlock from working properly for some users. I've submitted a fix to Apple and are waiting for them to approve. I apologize for the interruption in features for some users.

Hi everyone. tes•LAX 2.0 went live in the AppStore, for those who might be interested.

ES2_features.png