TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A new dealership scam

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Chickenlittle, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

At least it's new to me. Bought a leaf for my daughter, couldn't wait for model3. BTW impressive car but for range. We got a used CPO car. After agreeing on price they present contract with a 995 dollar inspection fee added for CPO inspection. Never heard of that one before so I refused to pay for that and told them I didn't need the CPO status. They took it off then increased the tag fee by 200 dollars saying the manager had miss calculated it. Refused that increase as well. I cannot believe the manager of a busy dealorship could do that. A bait and switch hoping I would not notice it. Of course the car was still sold as a CPO anyway. Sure different experience than when I got my teslas.

2. BrianC

BrianC Member

A dealership once tried to swindle $1500 from my aunt for a paperwork fee for the "ladies upstairs". This was in a dealership that was a single room showroom. Lets just say they did not get a sale that day and a earful from her.

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

A substantial inspection fee for CPO status isn't uncommon. Not including it in the price they are negotiating is both unusual and unethical if they are promising it as a CPO car.
    Walter

4. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I am sorry to say that I don't doubt these events at all.
    I liked Saturn, I like the Tesla model.

5. MileHighMotoring

Sadly, I don't think a dealer trying to sneak in hundreds or thousands of dollars in bull$h!t fees and recalculations is new or uncommon. It's been standard practice since their were car dealers. I personally like haggling and am always willing to walk out of a dealer if they don't capitulate to my bottom line price, but I like the one-price model better. I decide whether the price is reasonable, or not. No nonsense.

6. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I've had a dealership attempt to increase a lease fee at signing because of "calculation errors", then after I refused to sign, they agreed to go back to the original agreement. I walked out just the same, if I can't trust someone, I don't do business with them.

7. MileHighMotoring

That's certainly your right, but your deal was really with the mfr for the lease so other than their pittance of a commission you aren't benefiting that dealer much if it was a great price. I don't care what dealer I use, I just want the best price. Last time around I emailed like ten dealers, got the best price, and then showed that to the closest two dealers and one matched it. Win win.

8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

9. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Win win lose, you mean. The distant dealer you used as a stalking horse with no chance at the deal did not win.

10. MileHighMotoring

Not in my case, but not everyone will do what I did. Some people buy locally for more, some people buy distant for less. I try to buy locally for less :)