TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

A new electric design paradigm

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dmode, Apr 1, 2016.

1. dmode

dmode Member

Oct 29, 2015
    United States
    A lot of discussion in this thread centers around the design choices made in Model 3, especially the front nose and the interiors. I believe Tesla is slowly but surely introducing a new design paradigm - one that is based on the principles of electric car, autonomous driving, technology first experience. We have been fed a certain design paradigm for 100 years, so it is hard for us to suddenly appreciate something so different, but many things Tesla have introduced already speak for the new design paradigm:
    - Lack of physical buttons
    - A large touch screen
    - Lack of grills in the front of the car
    - Frunk space

And now with model 3, lack of instrument cluster and also pushing out the instrument panel further out for rear legroom space. I for one certainly appreciate these subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) design choices that is moving the automobile forward. I don't want to be stuck with the extremely conservative design choices of the popular automakers
  2. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Portland, OR
    DId they say there would be no front instrument cluster? Maybe somebody heard something in the test drives to confirm that. A HUD seems to me to be the most logical. The fact that they could drive it at the reveal was amazing.
  3. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Unless something changes there's only the center display... maybe a HUD but not a second display like the S has.
  4. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Mar 12, 2013
    North Orange County
    I am hoping that the minimalistic dash was designed for future enhancements, perhaps small monitors instead of outside mirrors.
  5. Vic4Model3

Vic4Model3 Member

Feb 11, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    TM did a great job in three fronts with the Model 3:
    - Did not take market share from the Model S
    - Anyone who spent twice as much on the Model S than the Model 3, will not be sorry, as the money was well spent
    - Low cost entry level Model 3 priced affordably.
    That said, it will take some time for me to adjust to the paradigm shift as related to the "dash". It was a bit of a shock to see no dash at all. Then I asked myself, what do I currently look at on the dash of my Acura, well vehicle speed and tach (I use the paddle shifters to short shift the automatic tranny). Model 3 will be shiftless so no need for the tach and speed is displayed in the upper left-hand corner of the display. I really need to embrace the paradigm shift and let auto-pilot do the freeway driving. Then the absence of a traditional dash is not an issue.