Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A New Idea for Glass Roof Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're here, maybe you've already gotten familiar with the other conversations about this topic.

I'll spare you those and what they covered and assume you're mostly up to speed and hopefully you'll give me the same credit as well.

My idea is to have tint installed OUTSIDE of the glass window. The kicker is here: to additionally install window protecting film on top of that to protect the tint.
It's basically glass specific PPF.

Anyway, I think it's a really clever idea. Reduce or reject heat before it passes through the glass. Ideally, the IR and a little visible light is reflected but after learning more by talking to people that really understand this technology, I now understand that Ceramic tint absorbs the heat, it doesn't reflect it.

I might need to verify this more thoroughly but that seems to be what the experts all say. Some just say it "blocks" or "rejects" and never get more specific but those words mean little here.

Does anyone here know more about this? I'm quite determined to figure a way to reflect the heat before it gets to the glass because this would allow the glass roof to be fully enjoyed without it being too hot.

I can live with it the way it is but I'm always looking to optimize things.

Please don't mention about how the glass roof might crack or is already treated to be heat resistant. I have explored these topics very thoroughly and they won't bring any new ideas to this thread and a lot of those ideas have been completely debunked. Obviously no reason to suggest the shades option since that again defeats the purpose of this entirely.

The goal is to find a way that the heat can be reflected before it gets to the glass thus providing a more significant heat reducing effect. It might help to have ceramic tint outside the glass but it's hard to say how much so when the glass will heat up from the tint layer heating up but at least it starts on the outside and not the inside.

Until now, the glass just has to cool down from driving and A/C.

umm-confused.gif

Reactions: Adam3
If you're here, maybe you've already gotten familiar with the other conversations about this topic.

I'll spare you those and what they covered and assume you're mostly up to speed and hopefully you'll give me the same credit as well.

My idea is to have tint installed OUTSIDE of the glass window. The kicker is here: to additionally install window protecting film on top of that to protect the tint.
It's basically glass specific PPF.

Anyway, I think it's a really clever idea. Reduce or reject heat before it passes through the glass. Ideally, the IR and a little visible light is reflected but after learning more by talking to people that really understand this technology, I now understand that Ceramic tint absorbs the heat, it doesn't reflect it.

I might need to verify this more thoroughly but that seems to be what the experts all say. Some just say it "blocks" or "rejects" and never get more specific but those words mean little here.

Does anyone here know more about this? I'm quite determined to figure a way to reflect the heat before it gets to the glass because this would allow the glass roof to be fully enjoyed without it being too hot.

I can live with it the way it is but I'm always looking to optimize things.

Please don't mention about how the glass roof might crack or is already treated to be heat resistant. I have explored these topics very thoroughly and they won't bring any new ideas to this thread and a lot of those ideas have been completely debunked. Obviously no reason to suggest the shades option since that again defeats the purpose of this entirely.

The goal is to find a way that the heat can be reflected before it gets to the glass thus providing a more significant heat reducing effect. It might help to have ceramic tint outside the glass but it's hard to say how much so when the glass will heat up from the tint layer heating up but at least it starts on the outside and not the inside.

Until now, the glass just has to cool down from driving and A/C.
I realize this thread is a bit old but wondering how you got on with tinting the outside of the glass.
I ask because I too have been on a very similar thought journey and believe or not I started with your exact approach. Tint and then protect with PPF.
However I decided this approach was problematic and expensive so moved on to further research the problem.
So here’s where I’m at currently.
There are circumstances in the commercial tinting world where for various reasons tinting the interior glass windows of high rise is impractical and so external tints are used. They are actually more efficient as a heat barrier but carry a shorter warrant, usually 7 years on vertical glass and 5 on horizontal applications, but figure that’s not too bad.
However, these products are designed for flat glass applications but I figure the glass roof above the driver has only a mild compound curvature.
Anyway, long story short I’ve decided to try 3M Prestige exterior on the smaller front glass when I get my TM3 as it doesn’t need edge sealing and is smaller.
Any thoughts appreciated.

I realize this thread is a bit old but wondering how you got on with tinting the outside of the glass.
I ask because I too have been on a very similar thought journey and believe or not I started with your exact approach. Tint and then protect with PPF.
However I decided this approach was problematic and expensive so moved on to further research the problem.
So here’s where I’m at currently.
There are circumstances in the commercial tinting world where for various reasons tinting the interior glass windows of high rise is impractical and so external tints are used. They are actually more efficient as a heat barrier but carry a shorter warrant, usually 7 years on vertical glass and 5 on horizontal applications, but figure that’s not too bad.
However, these products are designed for flat glass applications but I figure the glass roof above the driver has only a mild compound curvature.
Anyway, long story short I’ve decided to try 3M Prestige exterior on the smaller front glass when I get my TM3 as it doesn’t need edge sealing and is smaller.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Nice. Let us know. I gave up. I figured the concept of glass getting hot and cooled as you drive is ok.

You got me again on the roof thing but let me know. Turns out ppf isn't great on glass for clarity but I bet it's decent and won't matter on a roof like it might on windshield.

It's an idea with promise. Try it and please report back. When do you get it?

I really like the idea of preventing the heat or blocking it before it even got to the glass. I guess these types of tint can also really mess with cell phone signals? But yeah, it would be really nice to keep the roof cooler without having to block it entirely. Maybe this is a way

Reactions: Benzz
Get the car some time mid March and will get the tinting done soon after and then I’ll try to tint the outside as proposed and let you know the result. It’ll all come down to if a tint designed for flat glass can be applied to a slightly curved surface. Really hope it works as that would be the perfect way to prevent heat buildup internally by reducing the heat load on the glass from outside.
We’ll soon tell!

Get the car some time mid March and will get the tinting done soon after and then I’ll try to tint the outside as proposed and let you know the result. It’ll all come down to if a tint designed for flat glass can be applied to a slightly curved surface. Really hope it works as that would be the perfect way to prevent heat buildup internally by reducing the heat load on the glass from outside.
We’ll soon tell!
I don't understand why they can't build one that can, even if that one isn't. I think the demand is underrated because tint on outside sounds vulnerable and fair enough but maybe on a roof, it's ok. There is also film out there designed to go on your windshield to protect it from chips and so on. Although the durability largely is diminished from windshield wiper use. So I'm thinking that a roof would be free of that and might not even need some kind of protection film. I think there is a tint out there that is designed to block some heat as well as be on the outside for cars. If you look around, you'll see it. I talked to that company as well but they told me lifespan largely depends on windshield use and they were intrigued with my idea about sunroof application. The company might have been called car shield.

My 'unrealized idea' is to have someone create a fitted window-shade-roller that could 'suction cup at the back of the center roof section. Then have magnetic spots on the front lip that connect to two suction cups set at the front corners of the center roof section. Roll forward and magnet-into-place during the day, and retract when the sun goes down.

I don't understand why they can't build one that can, even if that one isn't. I think the demand is underrated because tint on outside sounds vulnerable and fair enough but maybe on a roof, it's ok. There is also film out there designed to go on your windshield to protect it from chips and so on. Although the durability largely is diminished from windshield wiper use. So I'm thinking that a roof would be free of that and might not even need some kind of protection film. I think there is a tint out there that is designed to block some heat as well as be on the outside for cars. If you look around, you'll see it. I talked to that company as well but they told me lifespan largely depends on windshield use and they were intrigued with my idea about sunroof application. The company might have been called car shield.
I think the application of exterior commercial film onto the roof glass will be less problematic than the installers think as it is designed for exterior installation with an added external layer. I doubt any airflow issue exists as airflow that close to the glass/ tint surface is very low due to surface effects and so it come down to can the tint be applied to a slightly compound curved surface. If it can I bet it will last a long time, well unless it is subjected to hail or other impact damage!
i agree there would be a huge market for such a product that was designed for this purpose.

Doesn't "PPF" for windshields already exist? I've seen a few tint shops offer it and from a quick search this is one of the vendors: Windshield Protection Film | ExoShield

I haven't seen any tinted versions though but guess it wouldn't be impossible to manufacturer with ceramic particles for heat rejection and carbon/dye additive for the tint.
Sure there is PPF but that product is designed to reduce/ prevent paint and in the case of the example you used glass damage from stone impact causing chipping. What we are talking about is a IR heat rejection film for the glass roof.
Pretty sure it could be done as I know Suntek has a product that has a ceramic coating applied to a PPF film. So they can do it, just haven’t as far as I know.

Would be fantastic if you could direct me to a link for such a product as that is the ultimate solution to heat penetration through the M3 roof.

I wish Tesla just had a metal roof option. In my last 3 I had the sun shade and then a layer of the foil bubble wrap insulation material in between the shade and glass. That worked well but it's a bit of a bodge. In to see how well roof tint works.
I’ve seen that before and considered putting the foil/bubble between the shade and the glass but wondered about so much heat being trapped between the foil and the glass. Did that pose any issues?
For me, the sun shade does a good job of blocking/diffusing bright sun and also quiets the interior noise level down by keeping the sound from being reflected so much.

I’ve seen that before and considered putting the foil/bubble between the shade and the glass but wondered about so much heat being trapped between the foil and the glass. Did that pose any issues?
For me, the sun shade does a good job of blocking/diffusing bright sun and also quiets the interior noise level down by keeping the sound from being reflected so much.
It might trap some heat but I can say that the addition of that material between the shade and roof did make a difference from just the shade alone which did make a difference from nothing at all. Worth it my opinion. I'm in CO at 5k feet and above with summers that have months at a time in the 90s so although I'm sure there are harsher environments ours would be included I'm sure.