Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A New Idea for Glass Roof Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might trap some heat but I can say that the addition of that material between the shade and roof did make a difference from just the shade alone which did make a difference from nothing at all. Worth it my opinion. I'm in CO at 5k feet and above with summers that have months at a time in the 90s so although I'm sure there are harsher environments ours would be included I'm sure.
About to try your suggestion of the alum/bubble wrap betwee sun shield and roof,. 'm in Fl and the interior will often get over 115 if not protected by cabin cooling. My question is is there any propblem with the glass getting too hot and cracking?

Well, in my experience, the glass roof isn't all that hot, and the temps are just as hot here as most other places in NorCal. When I wash the car, I can see the water droplets shining red, where the glass is reflecting the red wavelengths back up from the roof. But sure, some does come on into the cabin, but here again, Tesla has built in this feature they call "air conditioning", which cools the car nicely. I'm guessing the complaint here is that the car is hot, but in my car it's not hot while driving. I don't understand the problem. My car maintains the temp with no problem. Are they driving with the windows down? I've never felt the need for a reflective shield inside the glass, and very likely neither have the thousands of other Tesla owners. Just putting a piece of aluminum foil on the window will still allow the heat to enter, and it looks extremely tacky, too. If you learn how to turn on the AC, maybe it won't be so hot.

• Disagree
Reactions: HeatproofGenie
Is there any problem with placing insulation/reflective material between heat shield and inside of roof glass? I'm using sun shield, but it too gets hot, transmitting heat into the interior. Is there a problem with the glass getting too hot from this scheme and cracking????
Four years of use and I had no issues with the glass roof on our old '18 3. You should be fine.

I've come to realize that the majority of heat entering the car is actually through the windshield. It's a huge piece and to my knowledge is not treated at all. Applying ceramic film there probably has the potential to reduce cabin temps the most, then rear window, then sides, then roof.

To Roblab, sure the cars climate system is plenty capable to handle the heat but the glass roof does introduce a larger greenhouse and hence more heat and glare. Some mind, some don't. Yours is just an opinion and I see plenty online that would prefer no glass roof, just like many prefer the openness it introduces.

Reactions: Occhis
I realize this thread is a bit old but wondering how you got on with tinting the outside of the glass.
I ask because I too have been on a very similar thought journey and believe or not I started with your exact approach. Tint and then protect with PPF.
However I decided this approach was problematic and expensive so moved on to further research the problem.
So here’s where I’m at currently.
There are circumstances in the commercial tinting world where for various reasons tinting the interior glass windows of high rise is impractical and so external tints are used. They are actually more efficient as a heat barrier but carry a shorter warrant, usually 7 years on vertical glass and 5 on horizontal applications, but figure that’s not too bad.
However, these products are designed for flat glass applications but I figure the glass roof above the driver has only a mild compound curvature.
Anyway, long story short I’ve decided to try 3M Prestige exterior on the smaller front glass when I get my TM3 as it doesn’t need edge sealing and is smaller.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Yes makes sense, adding internal reflective films to double glazed windows is generally a no no because that heats the window glass up, but external roof only should keep the glass cooler and reduce radiated heat loss too in the cold months as well possibly.