Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A new, improved battery design from the guy who invented the Lion battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Like many people who follow EVs and batteries I have a certain degree of skepticism whenever I read about a new battery design that claims to offer major advantages over existing in-production batteries. But when I read about this new battery design I took it more seriously than I usually do because of the name associated with the publication: Dr. John B. Goodenough, the inventor of the modern Lion battery. Yes, that is a real name, not a joke. See John B. Goodenough - Wikipedia

Here is the article abstract Alternative strategy for a safe rechargeable battery - Energy & Environmental Science (RSC Publishing)

And here is a summary https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170228131144.htm

QUOTE: "Cost, safety, energy density, rates of charge and discharge and cycle life are critical for battery-driven cars to be more widely adopted. We believe our discovery solves many of the problems that are inherent in today's batteries," Goodenough said. The researchers demonstrated that their new battery cells have at least three times as much energy density as today's lithium-ion batteries. A battery cell's energy density gives an electric vehicle its driving range, so a higher energy density means that a car can drive more miles between charges. The UT Austin battery formulation also allows for a greater number of charging and discharging cycles, which equates to longer-lasting batteries, as well as a faster rate of recharge (minutes rather than hours).
------------------------------------------

So, at least a threefold increase in energy density, stable over a large number of charge cycles, and faster charge rates. The article does not say what exact battery type this is compared to, but one assume the comparison is to the best currently in production Lion batteries.

The new battery design uses solid-glass electrolytes that do not form dendrites at high charge rates and retain high conductivity down to -20C and below as well as maintaining low cell resistance after 1,200 charge cycles. And the new design can use sodium instead of lithium, reducing cost.

Of course, now the challenge is to figure out how to manufacture the new battery design in quantity and inexpensively.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
The battery tech world seem to moved away from this, after last year's wacky paper; which promise minutes recharge times and self-healing! Non of the current solid-state articles even mention Goodenough team's Glass Battery any more.

Other hand YouTubers have now find it...

Here is directly from horses' mouth: Just after the first Glass Battery paper:

"Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

Okay. Here's my opinion. The battery breakthrough of the week, battery breakthrough du jour. When somebody has like some great claim that they've got this awesome battery, you know what, send us a sample. Or if you don't trust us, send it to an independent lab, where the parameters can be verified. Otherwise, STF.

Yes. So everything works on PowerPoint. You know, I could give you a PowerPoint presentation about teleportation to the Andromeda Galaxy. That doesn't mean it works. So Tesla is the biggest buyer of lithium ion batteries on earth. You know who people come to first when they've got a lithium ion battery? Us, because we're their biggest customer.

I would love it if we could have some breakthrough. It'd be awesome. I think there are some interesting things on the horizon. But then the time it takes from something working in the lab to working at moderate production levels to working at higher production levels to optimizing the cost is several years. So it's not like it suddenly pops out of nowhere. JB, do you want to add to that?

Jeffrey B. Straubel - Tesla, Inc.

No. I totally agree with the sort of cautious skepticism on all these announcements. And just more specifically on the solid-state batteries, Rod. I mean, we've talked to a number of different groups that are researching this. We actually have tested a number of those different prototype, very early prototype, single cells, but we don't yet see anything that changes our strategy, and we don't see anything there..."

No, self-healing self-charging, magical batteries are BS.