Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A newbie screws things up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hank, if you are at a public J1772/L2 charging station, you will get your Tesla unplugged when the charger says the session is finished.
That won't/shouldn't happen at a supercharger but it will happen at a public J1772 station.
ChargePoint will even rat you out if you're only trickle charging, pre-conditioning the cabin, the battery, or whatnot,
and pulling much less than 6kWh. The adapter remains locked.

Hank, if you are at a public J1772/L2 charging station, you will get your Tesla unplugged when the charger says the session is finished.
That won't/shouldn't happen at a supercharger but it will happen at a public J1772 station.
ChargePoint will even rat you out if you're only trickle charging, pre-conditioning the cabin, the battery, or whatnot,
and pulling much less than 6kWh. The adapter remains locked.

I understand that, but your argument about stop charging and unlock has been focused on what you think should happen at Superchargers.

Since you're new and used to using a Leaf, you'll soon learn that the times you need to use J1772 will go from "always" to "almost never."

No. My argument is about what should happen at superchargers for me, not in general and clearly not for your you, but as a settable preference for people like me who plug in, check their email, return some calls, hit Stop Charging and then just want to get on the way.
I see the Tesla robot snake chargers only in your future then.

Meantime, good luck with your Tesla and wanting things to work the way you want them to.

Reactions: EVChris
No. My argument is about what should happen at superchargers for me, not in general and clearly not for your you, but as a settable preference for people like me who plug in, check their email, return some calls, hit Stop Charging and then just want to get on the way.
Then you are making a HUGE deal about using your thumb muscle to press the button on the Supercharger handle that your thumb is already resting on. So this "frustration" of yours comes down to a muscle twitch and one second?

Reactions: HankLloydRight

But even then, you still have to get out of the car, grab the handle, and unplug. Like Rocky_h said, you're making a mountain out of pushing a button for one or two seconds. Instead of using the touchscreen to stop charging and unlock, which is at least at least two taps (or could be three or four depending on current touchscreen state), you can do it with NO TAPS on the touchscreen and just press-and-hold the button once.

I think I speak for everyone here who are baffled as to why you continue to reject that as the most simple solution to this, for lack of a better word, "problem."

It's really starting to sound like you just don't want to accept that this simple solution actually existed all along, your charge port is not faulty, and you didn't figure it out that first night at the supercharger. And to save face, you're doubling down with this argument that somehow having to press two buttons on the touchscreen is "orders of magnitude harder" than a simple 'press-and-hold' for one to two seconds.

Last edited:
You should be able to unplug someone else's supercharger if the session is over.
What good would that do? Most likely, the cable wouldn't be long enough to reach another car. I've only been to two sites where it might be possible to park on the other side of the Supercharger. At the first site, you would have to park in a driving lane, not an official parking spot. At the second site, there are separate Superchargers on the other side to serve those parking spaces so you should just use the correct Supercharger associated with that space instead.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
But even then, you still have to get out of the car, grab the handle, and unplug. Like Rocky_h said, you're making a mountain out of pushing a button for one or two seconds. Instead of using the touchscreen to stop charging and unlock, which is at least at least two taps (or could be three or four depending on current touchscreen state), you can do it with NO TAPS on the touchscreen and just press-and-hold the button once.
Yes, I was thinking of that earlier. I think many people never bother to turn off charging from the touch screen first.
It's really starting to sound like you just don't want to accept that this simple solution actually existed all along, your charge port is not faulty, and you didn't figure it out that first night at the supercharger. And to save face, you're doubling down with this argument that somehow having to press two buttons on the touchscreen is "orders of magnitude harder" than a simple 'press-and-hold' for one to two seconds.
@HankLloydRight for the win!! Man, what is wrong with this forum software that I can't love this comment more than once?

OK, I'll admit I'm a bit of a newbie also, I've only had the car since the day after Christmas and I have only supercharged twice. The first time I stopped at the supercharger I'll admit, I hit the stop charging button on the screen then went out to the cable, pushed the button, pulled the charger out and hung it back up. I didn't know it was supposed to be complicated. :oops:

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes, I agree, @Rocky_H. We are a large, but welcoming community. We all had a learning curve once.**

I don't think any of us have any ill-will towards you, Chris. But we are logical, opinionated and vocal group with lots of experience with many Tesla software "warts" over the last several years (although this is not one of them).

Obviously you haven't used the media player yet. There, you will not get any pushback on how 'not right' that piece of software is. :rolleyes:

**For instance, here's one of my earliest posts when I first got my car. I had a pre-conceived notion about how the car works, posted about it, and was then properly schooled by the more experienced around here. ;)

I'm obsessed with "Power Off".. does it make any difference?

The screen had a button that said Stop Charging. Great. I pushed that. I stepped out of the vehicle and grasped the handle. Didn't budge. I pressed the button. Didn't budge but it did start charging again (light went green). I tried several times and several variations. Clearly I was screwing up and getting frustrated in the process.

Your locking pin is likely going. It's more of a problem at first at superchargers since the handle and cable are heavier placing more friction on the locking pin. Add that pressure and it won't release. When this happens, hold in the trunk on the fob while pressing in with the handle -- don't pull -- that causes pressure on the pin and it won't release. Make sure the handle is fully inserted. Then when you hear it click and it disengages you can pull it out -- like you were told to do on the phone. But if my theory is correct, it needs replacing. You can test my theory by trying to pull (gently) on the handle before you press the fob trunk to release it and see if that prevents the pin from going down. If so, it needs replacing, like mine did. I nearly had a heart attack when I couldn't get mine disengaged from a supercharger late one night when the locking pin was starting to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
Have you confirmed that 'press-and-hold' does or does not work?

Does the handle still not release when the charge port ring is white, indicating the release pin is sticky?
Moot point? Did the OP ever indicate the handle button was actually pressed and held the required scant seconds to stop charging and release the lock?

Thought I read every post, but might have missed it.