Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A newbie screws things up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so, but I think those two questions would quickly answer the question if the charge port is faulty.

I'm certainly willing to accept that the charge port is faulty and the cause of this entire brouhaha and not driver error. But it would be nice to have those things confirmed or not before going in for service.

Reactions: mongo
On thing I left out of my post above about this great community is that you have to be ready to admit you're wrong.

I've learned this several times already, and it sucks. But I had to suck it up and eat crow plenty.

Two years ago when there were rumors of a facelift MS running about, I argued vehemently that with the recent M3 reveal in March '16, and the Model X just getting up to full production speed, the last thing Tesla has time for is a redesign/facelift of the Model S. A lot of people agreed with me too. I would have bet real dollars on that, too. Guess what? Two months later, Tesla releases the MS refresh design.

There were many people (not me) who argued from a very believable and technical level on how the MCU and video feeds are merged together, that drawing backup lines on the backup camera (like in other cars) was impossible. And it was a completely plausible explanation. Then with an overnight firmware update a couple of years ago, bam, we had backup lines on the touchscreen.

There are lots of examples of that happening. Tesla making the impossible, possible.

If you look back at my most recent posts, I argued again that it didn't make sense for Tesla to release a Performance Model 3 until sometime next year when they've gotten through most of the existing reservation list. I argued if they release it this year, that people who want a PM3 but just bought a first-production M3 won't ditch/upgrade their car so soon. If Tesla waits a year, every one of those M3 owners would upgrade their now one-year old M3 for the PM3. Looks like I got that one wrong, too. :rolleyes:

On thing I left out of my post above about this great community is that you have to be ready to admit you're wrong.

I've learned this several times already, and it sucks. But I had to suck it up and eat crow plenty.

Two years ago when there were rumors of a facelift MS running about, I argued vehemently that with the recent M3 reveal in March '16, and the Model X just getting up to full production speed, the last thing Tesla has time for is a redesign/facelift of the Model S. A lot of people agreed with me too. I would have bet real dollars on that, too. Guess what? Two months later, Tesla releases the MS refresh design.

There were many people (not me) who argued from a very believable and technical level on how the MCU and video feeds are merged together, that drawing backup lines on the backup camera (like in other cars) was impossible. And it was a completely plausible explanation. Then with an overnight firmware update a couple of years ago, bam, we had backup lines on the touchscreen.

There are lots of examples of that happening. Tesla making the impossible, possible.

If you look back at my most recent posts, I argued again that it didn't make sense for Tesla to release a Performance Model 3 until sometime next year when they've gotten through most of the existing reservation list. I argued if they release it this year, that people who want a PM3 but just bought a first-production M3 won't ditch/upgrade their car so soon. If Tesla waits a year, every one of those M3 owners would upgrade their now one-year old M3 for the PM3. Looks like I got that one wrong, too. :rolleyes:

But in general, if I may, it’s not a good idea to argue with Hank:)

They're replacing the chargeport. I demonstrated a few things wrong with it but when I mentioned the burning electrical smell at the supercharger, the service writer winced and said they were gonna replace it.

I'm getting an S85 loaner but the tags were only good til March 2018. I complained and they swapped the plates and that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
Yep, chargeport was replaced.

upload_2018-5-30_16-24-20-png.305016