Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A nice surprise (free Ionity leccy)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just commissioned today, 6 new Ionity chargers at Peterborough services on the A1

currently on free vend, which is nice

0993F73F-FD07-44FE-9C7A-F3B4C4718C18.jpeg

B0527111-8C60-4CA6-BE0F-CA5F5530AD8D.jpeg

33711FD3-8C11-4E70-A021-9F7A17DFFDBF.jpeg

Ionity map shows ‘Building’ a site on the A14 at Cambridge. Can anyone confirm or deny? That would definitely be a game changer for my Suffolk trips.

Tesla you’ve had years of ‘coming soon’. Looks like you’ve got competition.

If I was on a long journey in my ICE car and needed to top up I’d use motorway services but, at their prices, I’d only put in the minimum amount of fuel I needed to get home. Same with this. I’d have to be desperate to pay 69p per KWh. How much would it cost to charge an M3P from 10% to 90%? I know they need to make a return on their investment but I can’t see many people using them at this price.

Its good to see the right charges are now being installed at the right places. Having a 2 7kw Chargers are a Mcdonalds is almost pointless as you are likely to only be there for 20mins (I have seen this).
I mean it does no harm but no one should be using them unless they are desperate given that the cost is 69p per kw and that is the AC used not the DC delivered ( unlike superchargers where you pay for the DC ) so even if 90% efficient which is unlikely you are probably paying 25p per mile which is about double what my old diesel costs to fuel.
The less people use them the less likely they are to keep this price structure or for others to follow suit. but while its free then go for it

If I was on a long journey in my ICE car and needed to top up I’d use motorway services but, at their prices, I’d only put in the minimum amount of fuel I needed to get home. Same with this. I’d have to be desperate to pay 69p per KWh. How much would it cost to charge an M3P from 10% to 90%? I know they need to make a return on their investment but I can’t see many people using them at this price.
Not even sure its about return on investment at this point. it may be more about punishing people who have cars outside of the ionity network so the manufacturers who are part of it can persuade people to buy their cars on the basis that they are much cheaper to fuel than other EV's. they can't build a new proprietary network at this point but they can price everyone else off theirs or make a fortune when we do use it. It.s about competing with the superchargers in my opinion.

Not even sure its about return on investment at this point. it may be more about punishing people who have cars outside of the ionity network so the manufacturers who are part of it can persuade people to buy their cars on the basis that they are much cheaper to fuel than other EV's. they can't build a new proprietary network at this point but they can price everyone else off theirs or make a fortune when we do use it. It.s about competing with the superchargers in my opinion.
I think you're right with your analysis. That business plan I could understand if it was a fully private network, however ionity is partly publicly funded, which means that we are not only getting ripped off, we are in effect paying for the privilege :confused:

p.s. there are also ionity chargers going up at Baldock Services on the A1(M), ground works were mostly done last time I was there.

Assuming around 72.5kWh usable size: 72.5*0.8*0.69 = £40.02

Feel free to correct me if im wrong below:

Is Ionity part owned by VW/Audi group? and they had to use their "hefty fine" to plough some of that into renewables such as a charing infrastucture?

So all the VW/Audi etc owners who swapped over to EV's (But not on the EV VW/Audi/BMW list), now pay a high price to them again so they can make a profit off a fine! Its a tad Ironic!

Just my thought

Assuming around 72.5kWh usable size: 72.5*0.8*0.69 = £40.02
the losses involved with charging a battery using a 7.2 kw charger are around 10%. The losses on DC rapid chargers vary and you don't know what they are until you see the bill but I am guessing 10-20% since they have zero incentive to make it more efficient so your £40.02 is probably more like £44-£48 I would imagine but I have never done DC charging outside of the SuC network maybe someone who has could comment on KW added to battery vs KW billed for. obviously if you are sitting in the car with the heat on etc while charging will skew this a bit so you have to allow for that.
It's a huge unregulated mess at the moment where the more inefficient your charger the more money you make. it will have to be addressed at some point via legislation. You would not get away with a Petrol pump that lost 20% of the fuel you were billed for

the losses involved with charging a battery using a 7.2 kw charger are around 10%. The losses on DC rapid chargers vary and you don't know what they are until you see the bill but I am guessing 10-20% since they have zero incentive to make it more efficient so your £40.02 is probably more like £44-£48 I would imagine but I have never done DC charging outside of the SuC network maybe someone who has could comment on KW added to battery vs KW billed for. obviously if you are sitting in the car with the heat on etc while charging will skew this a bit so you have to allow for that.
It's a huge unregulated mess at the moment where the more inefficient your charger the more money you make. it will have to be addressed at some point via legislation. You would not get away with a Petrol pump that lost 20% of the fuel you were billed for

You need to raise this issue with The Ofiice of Product Safety and Standards. (no, me either). It is part of the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. (No, me either) They are aware of it but are sitting on the fence at the moment (probably in the hope that the EU come up with a standard that they can copy).

You need to raise this issue with The Ofiice of Product Safety and Standards. (no, me either). It is part of the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. (No, me either) They are aware of it but are sitting on the fence at the moment (probably in the hope that the EU come up with a standard that they can copy).
Interesting. But I think you overestimate my influence in government circles. If they are aware of it already then I am not sure me raising it will be the thing that tips them over the edge into action. That approach rarely even seems to work with my own children :)