Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A number of people have traded in their Tesla Model S for a Tesla Model S loaner EV.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, Tesla is selling the loaners in a back door way to act as a stocking dealer. Some people just do not want to wait. New loaners are untitled and thus get the $7500 credit.

Trade ins are valued at full invoice (not including local taxes) minus 17% minus 1% per month (and for some) minus $1 per mile. Yes, some people have gotten say a P85+ loaner while their P85 was being serviced and decided to stroke a check and keep the loaner. I've also heard of another 60 owner that got a P85 loaner and kept it so, yes, Tesla has access to generating CPO cars. I have no idea if they have finalized the CPO program sufficiently to move those cars. When they do, the $7500 rebate will be accounted for in a price discount.

I did as another poster suggested and simply sold mine retail. The only consideration with this in a state like Florida is that we get a sales tax credit for the value of a trade in. A secondary market sale does not go through Tesla thus you do not get the sales tax credit. In the case of Florida, you must clear at least 6% more with a retail sale than Tesla is offering.

What is meant by CPO?

I asked Menlo Park service about this, and they said ONE person inquired about keeping his loaner but backed out when he realized he had just paid $9,500 of sales tax to the state of California on his first vehicle, and if he kept the loaner, he found that he'd not only have to pay the price difference, but would be paying another $10k+ in sales tax again to the state. He decided not to be THAT generous to our troubled state coffers.

Menlo Park staff confirmed that you don't just pay the "difference" in price, you must also pay new sales tax on the full retail price of the new vehicle, which almost doubles the out-of-pocket cost for this "upgrade". Makes it pretty unattractive, at least in a state like CA.

I asked Menlo Park service about this, and they said ONE person inquired about keeping his loaner but backed out when he realized he had just paid $9,500 of sales tax to the state of California on his first vehicle, and if he kept the loaner, he found that he'd not only have to pay the price difference, but would be paying another $10k+ in sales tax again to the state. He decided not to be THAT generous to our troubled state coffers.

Menlo Park staff confirmed that you don't just pay the "difference" in price, you must also pay new sales tax on the full retail price of the new vehicle, which almost doubles the out-of-pocket cost for this "upgrade". Makes it pretty unattractive, at least in a state like CA.
So I expect we might have some takers in no-sales-tax-on-EVs Washington state then.

Not my Sig though. Shsh, AnOutsider. ;)

According to this chart bright red absorbs 28% of the heat vs. 19% absorbed by the pano roof. So the pano roof should be cooler.

I don't see where you're getting those numbers, jerry33. Looks to me like Scarlet Red reflects 42% of incident solar energy (is this chart for metal roofing?), implying that it absorbs the other 58%. And where does the 19% figure for the pano roof come from? Are you sure it's not a spec for transmissivity? Do we have an apples-and-oranges problem?

As for emissivity, @lolachampcar, I'd like to see your source for claiming red is more emissive than black. Intuitively, based on nothing more than a vague recollection of 'black body radiation' from freshman Physics, it would seem logical that black can't be beat. Just keep your black radiator out of direct sun. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Nitpicker's corner: "A number of people have..."

That's a tautology. Yes, a number of people have flown to Jupiter as well. That number happens to be zero.

[...rolls eyes...]

Maybe you'd do better to stick to moderating shirt comments.

OTOH, as my mom used to say, it takes one to know one... :wink::biggrin:

The irresponsible ones with a voice (bloggers and, sadly, print publications) often love to pick up titles like this and run with them. You can't dispute them because they aren't technically incorrect. That's what tweaked me about the title.