Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A numpty question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LukeT

Apr 9, 2019
UK
I suspect everyone in the world except me knows the answer to this question but what's this icon?

20191101_204859.jpg

"Traffic announcements can be heard when playing FM, or DAB radio. To turn traffic announcements on or off, touch the traffic icon that displays on Miniplayer when the radio source is active."

Page 125

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf

Interesting to see that in the current version of this manual there is no mentioning of this function. Not sure if this is regionalized (I am based in the Netherlands) or if it was removed from current SW versions (I am on version 2020.12.11.2).

As much as I love the M3 and its user interface, I really miss the traffic alerts function (RDS driven) that I have had in all my recent cars, including the additional info/details with traffic jams etc on the navigation screen.

Anyone in the UK that can confirm this RDS function is still available in the last version of the SW?

Best regards,

Huub

I suspect everyone in the world except me knows the answer to this question but what's this icon?

View attachment 472175
It looks like the symbol no one could find on another thread, I was actually trying to find this on my 3 but could find anywhere, only really need it when travelling around alot for work(which I am not actually doing now) but would be good to know exactly where it was? Wider photo possibly?

I suspect I'm not the only one of a "certain age" who is irritated beyond belief by the way we are bombarded with tiny icons on everything nowadays.
I learnt to read at an early age: why introduce another layer in the comprehension of what does what? You see some unfamiliar little icon, you have to work out what it means - sometimes/often there's no logical meaning at all! While you are pondering this conundrum there's a bang and the airbag shoves your glasses through your eyeballs.....

I think there are 2 different things going on - isn't the symbol on the map to turn on and off the colour coding on the map of traffic conditions, whereas there is a second option to turn on/off traffic announcements linked to the radio where it cuts in to whatever you are listening to when traffic news is being reported on the radio.

I suspect I'm not the only one of a "certain age" who is irritated beyond belief by the way we are bombarded with tiny icons on everything nowadays.
I learnt to read at an early age: why introduce another layer in the comprehension of what does what? You see some unfamiliar little icon, you have to work out what it means - sometimes/often there's no logical meaning at all! While you are pondering this conundrum there's a bang and the airbag shoves your glasses through your eyeballs.....

I take a contrary view. Standardisation of signs and symbols is a good thing.
As someone of a 'certain age' who travelled a lot, particularly in the Far East, I welcomed the spread of the internationally recognisable sign for GENTS. There are many other examples I can think of but will not list as I have to go and answer a call of nature....

I take a contrary view. Standardisation of signs and symbols is a good thing.
As someone of a 'certain age' who travelled a lot, particularly in the Far East, I welcomed the spread of the internationally recognisable sign for GENTS. There are many other examples I can think of but will not list as I have to go and answer a call of nature....

I do take your point and agree that there are some very useful "icons" established internationally. Your example of the Gents sign is one - there are many more.
But there are thousands of icons produced which are anything but self-evident - just look at what's on the screen of a "smart"phone! And I submit that a screen on a moving vehicle is not the place anyway. In any case I find it impossible to actually hit one of them when moving - ergonomically they are a non-starter if you are honest, although the screen does look "tech".