Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A pickup truck ran intentionally into 4 people at a ‘Tesla Explores‘ event in Detroit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
When you hit shiit with the front of your car, it is almost never an 'accident'. It might be stupidity, or it might be deliberate, but it is not an accident. Driving into stuff has a bad outcome. It's nearly impossible to drive into stuff if you are paying attention. If you don't pay attention while driving, the outcome can be a crash. So not really an 'accident', more like a possible outcome to a behavior. Juggle chainsaws, and if you get cut, is that is accident?

Reactions: kort677
A pickup truck ran intentionally into 4 people at a ‘Tesla Explores‘ event in Detroit.

A pickup truck ran into 4 people at a ‘Tesla Explores‘ event in Detroit while they were looking at the company’s vehicles.

Witnesses said that it wasn’t an accident and that the pickup driver intentionally ran into the people at the Tesla event.

The event was near the Shinola headquarters near GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant.

Horrible what happened, but almost equally as bad is the author of the article trying to imply GM possibly had a role in the accident. GM had nothing to do with this event whatsoever, so why is the author even mentioning them??? Who the F cares if Shinola HQ is close to GM's Hamtramck plant. Is the author implying Mary Barra had a hand in sending out some alcoholic to the event to run over some Tesla fans? And of course Electrek never fails to dig at the Bolt towards the end as well.

This article is disgusting on multiple fronts, reporting on a horrible event and using it to slam GM. You know 100% that if the truck the drunk driver was driving was a GM product, it would sure as hell been mentioned in the article.

Very sorry to hear about the 73 year old dying of his injuries. I was shocked to read about this story the other day. And saddened and angry as witnesses said it looked to be intentional. I can't imagine why anyone would switch places with a driver doing this even if it were a family member driving under the influence.

As far as the press adding details about this being Detroit and near a car manufacturer's location, I can add that my dad worked at a GM plant for decades and when the Japanese cars started to appear here in the U.S. he told me how employees who owned a Japanese car and parked in the factory's massive lots outside the plant had their cars damaged when parked there. Clearly intimidation by vandalism. Given how I've seen accounts here of Tesla vandalism and read about those even in our area, I wouldn't put it past some unstable person doing something like this. Too many news stories of disgruntled people lashing out in violent ways and even murder to not give this some consideration as to motive. Hope not but you never know.

Well appears to be drug related: Driver admits to taking Ecstasy before fatal crash in Detroit's Midtown, sources say

And here's live coverage in front of the trailer/Xs with the police blocking off traffic to investigate: 4 people run over by pickup truck at Tesla popup event in Detroit

Last edited:
And saddened and angry as witnesses said it looked to be intentional.
At this point we don't know what the driver's mindset or intention was. Witnesses interpret events based on their own preconceptions and biases, and they are frequently wrong.
The Problem With Eyewitness Testimony
Why Science Tells Us Not to Rely on Eyewitness Accounts
How reliable is eyewitness testimony?
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/10/how-reliable-eyewitness-testimony-scientists-weigh

It is certainly possible that the driver had some sort of deranged intent to kill EV supporters. There is no shortage of delusional crazy people in the world. But at this point we don't know what his intent was.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Electrek just updated its article about this tragedy. See A truck ran over 4 people at a Tesla event in Detroit [Updated]

QUOTE: "the police now says that the driver, who didn’t have a driver’s license, admitted to taking drugs before driving and that the accident wasn’t intentional. The victims were listed as in “temporary serious condition”."

Of course the driver could be lying to avoid a more serious criminal charge. We can't read his mind so we don't know.