TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

A-pillar speaker grille -- how to remove?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by hatman4731, Jul 9, 2017.

1. hatman4731

hatman4731 Member

So after being driven insane by a mysterious rattle whenever I went over a bump, I found the source of the rattle to be a semi-loose speaker grille on the A-pillar. Since going to a service center is not really a convenient option, does anyone know the steps to popping that grille out so I can add some something to stabilize it? Do I have to take out the trim on the whole pillar or does the grille pop out as-is?

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

I think you'll have to take it apart, and my guess is you'll find a broken or misaligned fastener. Might also be possible to fix the problem with a well-placed thump, if it's just a misaligned clip. I had one of those under the IC cover, when my car was new.

The exact procedure may vary depending on when your car was made. But taking it apart looks like a small chore: remove the panel on the side of the IC, then the A-pillar middle trim next to that, then the A-pillar trim above that, which should expose the speaker. Mostly clips, but there are a few screws too.

3. hatman4731

hatman4731 Member

thanks mblakele -- do you know if anyone has posted any pictures of the process? I'd like to be sure what i'm getting myself into before digging in.

4. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Not sure if it's the same process, but here's a video for the Model X:

You might also be interested in Cricking from passenger side A pillar

• Like x 1
  5. dk1888

dk1888 Member

Very easy. Just pop out the "Air bag" logo with your finger. Remove the 1 bolt. Then pry the top part of the pillar. It pops out easily.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1