Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Plea from an Old Guy - Larger FONTS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I would like to see is a kind of "customize toolbar" where you could place the elements you want to see in the display. That would satisfy everybody regarding the functionality aspect. A choice of skins would alleviate the new Speak & Spell look. The functionality is way more important though.

It would be great if Tesla could come up with about three different "themes" for the dashboard instruments. I remember seeing a car awhile back that did just that (still looking for a YouTube clip). You could switch between an all analog looking display, a digital number display, even a fighter plane type display. One of those could be a dash with larger fonts and graphics for important stuff, maybe at the expense of less important information. I wouldn't think it would be *that* hard to do.

Last edited:
I'm not old but I did just get my first mailing from AARP.
Now that the Palo Alto market is saturated its time to consider the rest of the demographic and font configuration should be first on the list. I find small text particularly aggravating when there's so much blank space available....why?!
Next let's go after the dumb gray text on gray buttons on gray background of the audio app.

There is an urgent need for review of the UI by a human machine interface expert. I have my doubts that this has been done - many of the changes are the exact opposite of what am HMI expert would suggest.
It's not just bigger fonts - it's about easier to absorb information (or in the case of v7, harder to absorb information). Just one example: the relationship of speed limit, current speed and TACC set speed is trivial to grasp in v6. It takes a lot more effort to figure this out in v7.

Not to worry, Elon is working on a Human Machine Interface robot.

Personally, I would prefer the UI just have improved contrast in Tesla's skin choices. For me, that would make a great difference, especially during the day with the grey MS interface we now have. IIRC from early UI work I was involved with years ago, colors & contrast can have a significant impact on how rapidly and easily visible something is. Increased text size is another option. As you may suspect, there are tradeoffs between all three things -- especially trying to ensure the interface is as usable by people that may not be able to see certain colors. We almost never used colors alone to differentiate status, for that reason, and always tried to change wording or graphics at the same time to prevent our needing to maintain multiple interfaces to cover all our bases.

FWIW, I have worn bifocals for years, purposely so I can more easily read details on my PC/Mac workstations and the Nav of my former vehicles (Lexus, MBZ, & BMW). I also have a pair of bifocal sunglasses for use in my vehicles. My MS isn't that much worse than I remember from my previous vehicles, nor does it use any more small text from what I remember -- but as I said before, this grey skin Tesla has implemented in v7.0 may be a large part of the challenge. I for example, don't have as much of an issue viewing the Tesla "night time" interface, even during the day, where text sizes seem to be the same, but color/contrast are quite different.