TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A plea: no faux grill please

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Scott Franco, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Scott Franco

Scott Franco Member

It seems like Elon might actually be listening to various pleas to put a faux grill back on the model 3.

I'd like to counter that.

Please Elon, no faux grill. Grills are obsolescent on EVs. It does not have a big, hot engine to cool. That is part of why EVs are not energy hogs like ICE cars are. Putting a faux grill on an EV is akin to putting a tailpipe on an EV just because people are used to seeing one on a car.

Change is good.
    Form follows function.
    EVs are not like other cars, and don't need to look like ICE cars.
    Let your freak flag fly.
    Think different.

Thanks,

Scott Franco (reserved since Mar 31 at 12:00)

• Like x 3
  2. CA_Fabien

CA_Fabien Member

I second you.
    Once you get used to see a grill less car, the ICE grill feels so dated.

It is like the engine noise:
    You think you'll miss it but you won't. It is just funny to watch ICE cars making so much noise to accelerate...

3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I don't believe Elon said he was amenable to a faux grill. Someone asked about restyling the shape of the nose along the lines of a render done by a member of these forums. Elon asked for a link to that render so he could see it. So, the shape of the nose may change slightly, but there's no chance of a fake grill.

4. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I'm in favor of the grille-less nose, but admit the shape looks a little awkward from some angles. As long as aerodynamics and functionality aren't compromised too much, I wouldn't be opposed to some minor tweaks.

5. AlexT

AlexT Member

I really really prefer the original design. I've seen a few mockups by forum members, but to my eye they don't look as good.

6. MrJima

MrJima Member

If we're going to go with the grill can we add a metal ring so we can tie the Model 3 to the hitching post?

7. pinski

pinski Going Plaid

I liked that render, but I also like the car as is. If Tesla feels compelled to put some sort of adornment on there to break up the space on the nose, I hope it's something like this, which was in the other thread:

[​IMG]

8. Laserbrain

Laserbrain Member

+1

Without a grill the model 3 looks better than with a faux grill. If somebody needs a faux grill, he can just slap some vinyl wrap on the nose.