Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A plea: no faux grill please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like Elon might actually be listening to various pleas to put a faux grill back on the model 3.

I'd like to counter that.

Please Elon, no faux grill. Grills are obsolescent on EVs. It does not have a big, hot engine to cool. That is part of why EVs are not energy hogs like ICE cars are. Putting a faux grill on an EV is akin to putting a tailpipe on an EV just because people are used to seeing one on a car.

Change is good.
Form follows function.
EVs are not like other cars, and don't need to look like ICE cars.
Let your freak flag fly.
Think different.

Thanks,

Scott Franco (reserved since Mar 31 at 12:00)

I second you.
Once you get used to see a grill less car, the ICE grill feels so dated.

It is like the engine noise:
You think you'll miss it but you won't. It is just funny to watch ICE cars making so much noise to accelerate...

I don't believe Elon said he was amenable to a faux grill. Someone asked about restyling the shape of the nose along the lines of a render done by a member of these forums. Elon asked for a link to that render so he could see it. So, the shape of the nose may change slightly, but there's no chance of a fake grill.

I don't believe Elon said he was amenable to a faux grill. Someone asked about restyling the shape of the nose along the lines of a render done by a member of these forums. Elon asked for a link to that render so he could see it. So, the shape of the nose may change slightly, but there's no chance of a fake grill.

I liked that render, but I also like the car as is. If Tesla feels compelled to put some sort of adornment on there to break up the space on the nose, I hope it's something like this, which was in the other thread:

m3-front-jpg.170214

Please Elon, no faux grill. Grills are obsolescent on EVs. It does not have a big, hot engine to cool. That is part of why EVs are not energy hogs like ICE cars are. Putting a faux grill on an EV is akin to putting a tailpipe on an EV just because people are used to seeing one on a car.

+1

Without a grill the model 3 looks better than with a faux grill. If somebody needs a faux grill, he can just slap some vinyl wrap on the nose.