Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A poll to discern who is able to configure

Please state your Model 3 configuration status. CURRENT OWNER, US ONLY, PLEASE.

• I reserved in person before the reveal, owned a Tesla already, and I am able to configure.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I reserved online before the reveal, owned a Tesla already, and I am able to configure.

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • I reserved after the reveal, owned a Tesla already, and I am able to configure.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I reserved in person before the reveal, bought a Tesla after that, and I am able to configure.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I reserved online before the reveal, bought a Tesla after that, and I am able to configure.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I reserved after the reveal, bought a Tesla after that, and I am able to configure.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I reserved in person before the reveal, owned a Tesla already, and I am NOT able to configure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I reserved online before the reveal, owned a Tesla already, and I am NOT able to configure.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I reserved after the reveal, owned a Tesla already, and I am NOT able to configure.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I reserved in person before the reveal, bought a Tesla after that, and I am NOT able to configure.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I reserved online before the reveal, bought a Tesla after that, and I am NOT able to configure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I reserved after the reveal, bought a Tesla after that, and I am NOT able to configure.

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a little unclear to me just exactly who among current Tesla owners is able to configure, and whether all owners get to jump the line over us non-owners, or just some of them do. Lots of anecdotal statements here on the forums but no data. So this poll has all the options I can fit, to figure out if it makes a difference whether you reserved in person on 3/31/16 before the Model 3 reveal, or online before the reveal, or after the reveal, whether you owned a Tesla at the time of your reservation or purchased one afterwards, etc. I realize that location can be a factor in who has gotten to configure so far, but I don't think that will matter to these options.

As of now it seems there are still no non-owners who can configure, and no one outside the US, so this poll is ONLY for current Tesla owners IN THE UNITED STATES.
Don't trust that you are not able to configure just because you haven't received an email from Tesla. Please check your Tesla account to make sure before answering in the negative!

I wanted to include an option for voters who are not Tesla owners or who live outside the US, just so we'd have something to pick, but I used up all the responses. Sorry! I can't even vote in my own poll, LOL.

I realize that location can be a factor in who has gotten to configure so far, but I don't think that will matter to these options.

Location within the US could be a MAJOR factor. Think about parts, service, and even proximity to the factory (if major "corrections" are needed). If Tesla is struggling to ramp production of M3s, it's unlikely that they can fill the parts bins at all of their service centers. My guess is that the cluster pattern of M3 customer orders will center around Fremont for a while.

One data point:
"I reserved online before the reveal, bought a Tesla after that, and I am able to configure" ... on December 22... and live near Fremont.

Location within the US could be a MAJOR factor. Think about parts, service, and even proximity to the factory (if major "corrections" are needed). If Tesla is struggling to ramp production of M3s, it's unlikely that they can fill the parts bins at all of their service centers. My guess is that the cluster pattern of M3 customer orders will center around Fremont for a while.

One data point:
"I reserved online before the reveal, bought a Tesla after that, and I am able to configure" ... on December 22... and live near Fremont.
I'd modify that to say that the cluster pattern is around areas with large populations near service centers. The DC / Northern Virginia / Maryland area owners got their invites early in January.

The pattern now "seems" to be working toward areas with lower population density per capita in relation to service centers.

-Jim

• Informative
Reactions: Haxster
It appears that ALL existing tesla owners are getting priority over non owners, regardless of east or west coast.

I am a non owner, in line order (morning), west coast. No configure yet. Local FB group of existing owners have got invitations as of two days ago. Some of which ordered online day of the reveal

One data point: I have owned my Roadster since middle 2011. I reserved on-line on Day Two. I cannot yet configure.

I'm going to guess that no Day-Two owners have been able to configure yet, since Day-One owners in any geographic area should have priority over Day-Two owners in the same area. This being the case, we cannot speculate on the priority status of Day-Two owners. The hypothesis above that all owners will have priority over all non-owners is not supported by any evidence since there is as yet no evidence regarding Day-Two owners vis a vis non-owners who waited in line on Day One.

FWIW, as impatient as I am, I did make a conscious decision to wait until Day Two to reserve because I didn't want a very early car. I made my bed and now I'm sleeping on it: I have a while to wait still. And since within any region Day-One owners have to have priority over Day-Two owners, and there are certainly a lot of Day-One owners in and around Seattle, I know with a pretty high degree of certainty that I will not get my invite any time soon. A month from now is probably a very optimistic guess for me.

Location within the US could be a MAJOR factor.

I mean that it shouldn't matter to the purpose of the poll, which is, if any segment of current owners have not been invited due to reservation date or Tesla ownership date. If any of the 6 positive options end up with zero votes, we should see a higher number of votes in the corresponding negative option compared to the other negatives, and that would reveal a group that is still being held back from configuring.

One data point: I have owned my Roadster since middle 2011. I reserved on-line on Day Two. I cannot yet configure.

I'm going to guess that no Day-Two owners have been able to configure yet, since Day-One owners in any geographic area should have priority over Day-Two owners in the same area. This being the case, we cannot speculate on the priority status of Day-Two owners. The hypothesis above that all owners will have priority over all non-owners is not supported by any evidence since there is as yet no evidence regarding Day-Two owners vis a vis non-owners who waited in line on Day One.

That is what I'm trying to suss out. Your situation is covered by option 9. The corresponding positive option is option 3, and that already has two votes. At least two people have voted that they are day-two (or later) reservers and have been invited to configure. I realize that they could be an edge case where they reserved online during or after the reveal event but still technically day-one, like between 9pm and midnight Pacific Time on 3/31, but that's a very narrow window and I only had 12 options.

This is exactly why they don’t tell you your exact place in line, there are just too many factors and Tesla will likely disperse the vehicles in a way that decreases logistical costs as much as possible. I think it’s clear that tesla owners, regardless of location in the continental US, will come before any non owners.

We have two reservations. We bought a Model X in 2017, after both reservations were made. The first reservation was online just after the reveal. We can configure that one now, as of the last stealth (no email) invite. The second reservation still says:

"Your Model 3 was reserved on 10/19/2016. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation. If you have any questions, please refer to our FAQ. We invite you to submit suggestions or feedback within our forums. Engage with other future owners to share your excitement or ideas."

That is what I'm trying to suss out. Your situation is covered by option 9. The corresponding positive option is option 3, and that already has two votes. At least two people have voted that they are day-two (or later) reservers and have been invited to configure. I realize that they could be an edge case where they reserved online during or after the reveal event but still technically day-one, like between 9pm and midnight Pacific Time on 3/31, but that's a very narrow window and I only had 12 options.

If I'd been making the poll, I'd have said "Day One" and "Day Two or later" rather than "Before the reveal" and "After the reveal." Those two "After the reveal" votes could still be Day One. So, no, unless they post here, we do not know that any Day Two reservationists have been invited to configure.

This is exactly why they don’t tell you your exact place in line, there are just too many factors and Tesla will likely disperse the vehicles in a way that decreases logistical costs as much as possible. I think it’s clear that tesla owners, regardless of location in the continental US, will come before any non owners.

No, I don't think that's clear at all. We do not know if an owner who reserved in May will get his car before a non-owner who waited in line. The best we can say with reasonable confidence is that within any given region, an owner will get priority over a non-owner who reserved on the same day. We can speculate that it could be "the same week," and there's a possibility that Tesla may prioritize owners regardless of reservation date, but we cannot know that.

I personally think it would be unfair to deliver a car ordered by an owner in May before one ordered by a non-owner who stood in line on reveal day. Even though I'm an owner and anxious to get the car, I think non-owners who stood in line should get their cars before I get mine. They showed a level of enthusiasm that deserves recognition.

Bottom line: We don't know how Tesla is going to do it. It makes sense that they would try to deliver first where they can deliver fastest, to get the numbers up and get the cars on the road.

Reactions: C141medic
I reserved the morning of the reveal, so before the reveal, Pittsburgh, not a previous Tesla owner, haven't owned any Teslas yet. Cannot see the configuration pages.

There was no choice for me in the poll. DISCRIMINATION!!!

Make a poll for people who have never had a Tesla.

Someone screenshot the config pages and post them. I don't know why Tesla makes such a big deal out of hiding it all.

I reserved the morning of the reveal, so before the reveal, Pittsburgh, not a previous Tesla owner, haven't owned any Teslas yet. Cannot see the configuration pages.

There was no choice for me in the poll. DISCRIMINATION!!!

As I noted in my opening post, it was impossible for me to include any more options.

Make a poll for people who have never had a Tesla.

Why would I do that when I already know that no one who has never had a Tesla (except employee/related) has gotten an invite to configure yet? If you have some other reason to make a poll for non-owners, feel free! I would be happy to vote in it.

Someone screenshot the config pages and post them. I don't know why Tesla makes such a big deal out of hiding it all.
They did, yesterday morning.