Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A positive service experience...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I've seen a bunch of threads complaining about the current state of service, I wanted to chime in with my recent (overall quite positive) experience.

First off, I was lucky in that this was for minor warranty work (the motor on the steering column started making a god awful noise/needed to be replaced, and the rear window wasn't sliding down fast enough when you opened the door and rubbing a bit)... so I was able to schedule it way in advance and wasn't in a situation where my car was undriveable without service.

That said, my overall experience was *very* positive:

Since I mentioned the steering column when I booked the appointment ordered the replacement/had it in stock already when I arrived so the turnaround was only one day/night.

They didn't have any Tesla loaners (bummer), but did get me an Enterprise rental... it was a GMC Acadia Denali which is basically the polar opposite of a model S in terms of driving, but it was reasonably well equipped and worked well enough for preschool dropoff/etc that I can't complain.

The actual personnel (particularly Lisa who seemed to be coordinating things) at the Highland Park service center were fantastic. Regular text updates, quick turnaround, and overall extremely friendly/nice service.

So good to hear a positive service story. The one big worry I have about driving a Tesla is service should I ever need major repairs.

On the upside, earlier this week I could not get my S's trunk to open. I rang the SLC service center (that closes at 5:00) a little past three and was told to bring it in then. Got there about 4:30 and they had it fixed (replaced the actuator that locks and unlocks the truck) and I was back on the road by 5:15.

BTW, there is a Target store next to the service center so while they were working on the car I went to Target and bought the Tesla crew a bunch of goodies to feast on. :)

While none of us enjoy having issues come up with our cars, I admit I always enjoyed my service experiences with my model S as they would come to my house to do the repairs. Their crew are top notch and very friendly and the repairs were fortunately minor ones. Until someone rear ended me during rush hour. Then I had to wait 3 months for Tesla to send a replacement hatch. And after the car was finally repaired it ended up getting totaled a week later due to an unexpected seizure (see separate post). What bad luck.

I certainly hope their model 3 production has ramped up fast enough to allow for more spare parts in the case I (hopefully not) need one with my new car.