Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Positive Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jaciee, rest assured that there are plenty of folks like you on the forum, and I am among them. I think you are right in assuming that your IT connections may temper your judgment, as you may better understand the risks and benefits, and the delays, involved in developing a new technology. I still come to the forum to share experience and learn. In particular, I've found a wonderful sharing community here of folks with technical interests who share instructions (and sometimes pull together parts kits) to make various improvements to my Model S, such as improved interior lighting, dashcams, a parcel shelf lift, a front-facing bumper cam for parking assistance, and (currently) ways of retrofitting new visors with illuminated mirrors into my 2017-vintage vehicle.

My time on the forum suggests that Tesla owners can be divided into roughly four groupings: people who are into luxury cars, people who are into performance cars, people who are into evolving technology, and people who are concerned with the environment and the growing global warming crisis. This is of course a simplification, and there is overlap between these groups. Another way of dividing members is on what I call the "S spectrum;" that is, the degree to which they are motivated to considerations of Status (the prestige associated with owning an expensive car), Servicability (having a vehicle that fulfills practical tasks), and Social Concern.

The luxury car folks are often complaining about the lack of overhead hand-holds for car entry/egress, the absence of coat hangers and (until recently) illuminated vanity mirrors, etc. There is also a contingent of folks who enjoy bloviating about Elon Musk's "promises," and perceived slights. As well, there are postings that troll on behalf of stock short-sellers.

I've only owned three vehicles in my life, the last one a 32-year-old Volvo station wagon I sold when I acquired my Model S, which will almost certainly be my last car. Acquiring my Tesla was a huge financial stretch for me, but I am very happy I did it. I'm grateful every time I get into the car. It's as practical as my station wagon was, is infinitely more fun to drive, and contributes toward ending our species insanely destructive petroleum addiction, though much remains to be done in transforming our transportation systems.

So please cheer up, Jaciee: continue to participate in the forum, and continue to enjoy your beautiful battery electric car. Ignore the negativity, look for the useful nuggets to be found here, and continue to make your own positive contributions. :)

Thank you Berkeley. I'm definitely cheered up by all the comments I've received on this thread. Thank you for sharing some of your observations. I'll keep this in my mind while I read these forums. :)

I'll not deny that I have posted remarks that might be judged as negative. However, for the most part those remarks we're tongue in cheek or to stir things up. I've been following this forum regularly starting a few months prior to buying my S. If you remove the negativity about promises unkept, misleading statements, communication issues, parts availability and used car buying issues there is very little negativity left. Each of the above has some merit. But the point is I've seen very little negative about the car itself. Is it perfect NO. Is it the best out there? I don't have the knowledge base to answer that. I do know that in my 56 years driving and owning cars nothing in my experience comes close. So, Jaciee please don't leave TMC. Your voice is needed. If the positive news leave all that remains is the negative. Don't let them win.

I do plan on sticking around. It's nice to hear these stories and glean knowledge.

I’ve had my 75D for just over a year now and put on around 30k miles on it. Best car I’ve ever owned. I have driven it through 5 countries and currently planning my next road trip.

It makes me want to explore, drive, and have adventures. I have never owned a car that can do that.

Enjoy it!
That's awesome! I've been really wanting visit this country I live in by taking a really long road trip west to east now that I have a vehicle that can do that enjoyably. Thank you for your story. Gives me encouragement to try and actually make this happen :)

I couldnt be happier with my S. Sure I've had issues that I fixed or had addressed but even that hasnt made me reconsider my decision. I'm a tech person so I'm all in when it comes to Tesla and other companies that have the same mission. I joined these forums for knowledge and not for the negativity but every other thread seems to be negative. I enjoy reading people's post but not the ones that are negative and just want to stir the pot.

Reactions: Blup85 and Jaciee
@Jaciee , I love my Model S 100D.
Over 32 years I've driven more than a 100 different car makes/models including a good number of "hyper cars" (Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Maserati), un-numerable medium cars (mostly European and Japanese make) and more than I care of small and city cars (mostly Japanese). I didn't keep tally back then, but I'm for sure well above 1 million miles driven, probably close to 2 millions.

My Tesla is by far the best car I have ever driven, the most enjoyable of them all. I'm now planning a couple of long road trips across Europe for the summer time, just because driving a Tesla has made road trips a special kind of fun, as it was 32 years ago when I was just a kid enjoying my youth and not yet spoiled by traffic, noise, pollution, refueling stops, etc.
Some of those problems are obviously still there and my Tesla can not make them magically disappear, but nevertheless I now enjoy it like never before.

Own my Own Company for 23 years now.
Programmer & do my own IT, so I was into the Car for the Tech as well. That & I love Fast Cars.
Still have 3 cars that get 12 MPG & 1 that gets 16 MPG. So not so much for the Save the Planet part... LOL...
Got my P100D in May 2018
Outside of 1 reboot of the Main Screen that happened for no apparent reason last week. My Model S has been great & I've been quite impressed with AutoPilot & NOA Features & I was of the Opinion that it would never happen. After Owning & Using the Features I've had my mind changed slightly.

Still love a good Exhaust Note, but love the P100D for its completely different experience.

Reactions: Blup85 and Jaciee
I have some thoughts about this, but in the spirit of keeping things positive, every so often I'll go re-read some of these:

Tesla moments

Or the "Best Posts" menu at the top of the page.

Owned a Model S85D for almost four years, 60K miles on the odometer, 62 unique superchargers visited throughout California (I'll get my car out of state someday). Still haven't lost the "Tesla Grin". Now let's see...where can I take my Tesla today? :)

Bruce.

Bruce, you have about 2 weeks till I pick up my 2016 TMS 90D in Vegas and Drive to WA. Will have my car 24 hours and will hit 3 states! Come on man, travel a little :) Still trying to pick a name for my blue beauty... Blue Sparrow? Lighting McRon? OTARon!

Reactions: bmah
I've been lucky to drive this car for almost 4 years now (150k km = 90k miles) and can't image going anywhere on wheels with something else. Except when taking the bicycle of course.;)

I really enjoy taking it on vacation and using the SuCs and nice facilities around them in most SuCs locations we visited (Belgium, France, Germany, Slovenia, Croatia).
But it is actually every day that it feels like a treat to drive the S.

There are indeed negative posts and people venting. I also did so early on, f.i. when the car was delivered and it still had the "old" manual charge port. Forums are also here for those cases, and often, other owners chime in with their experience and wisdom to help balance the frustrations.

@Jaciee I read you post initially this week-end and though I'd put a reply, but then it disappeared on page 3 already today :eek:. Glad I retrieved it.

@bmah Shouldn't we make this thread a sticky one? :D

Reactions: JammyP and Jaciee
I've been lucky to drive this car for almost 4 years now (150k km = 90k miles) and can't image going anywhere on wheels with something else. Except when taking the bicycle of course.;)

I really enjoy taking it on vacation and using the SuCs and nice facilities around them in most SuCs locations we visited (Belgium, France, Germany, Slovenia, Croatia).
But it is actually every day that it feels like a treat to drive the S.

There are indeed negative posts and people venting. I also did so early on, f.i. when the car was delivered and it still had the "old" manual charge port. Forums are also here for those cases, and often, other owners chime in with their experience and wisdom to help balance the frustrations.

@Jaciee I read you post initially this week-end and though I'd put a reply, but then it disappeared on page 3 already today :eek:. Glad I retrieved it.

@bmah Shouldn't we make this thread a sticky one? :D
Thank you for the reply and story! I really enjoy reading these. :)

That would be amazing if this thread became a sticky! :D

I'm probably putting a hex on the whole thing but I have also had zero problems with my Model S so I have no idea how service goes but judging from the way things went with ordering and delivery I'm not worried. The ordering process ( done in a store ) was fun and so was the delivery - all far superior to the usual dealer routine.

Reactions: Jaciee
I've had a Roadster, Model S, and Model X. Electric since August 2011. My Tesla cars have had very little trouble, and the company has been fantastic about addressing any failures or shortcomings, every single time.

Try to keep the trolls and complainers from ruining your fun. Some cars have been lemons (inevitable), Tesla has seriously disappointed some buyers (inevitable), some buyers were far less prepared for the risks, differences and adaptations (unfortunate), and of course some are just trolls. But there's many happy Tesla owners here and still plenty of useful content.

Thank you for the reply and story! I really enjoy reading these. :)

That would be amazing if this thread became a sticky! :D
Jaciee, I too stopped reading on the TMC forum after all of the negativity. Your trending post got me back here when I saw an email from TMC titled "a Positive Thread"

I've owned quite a few cars of all makes & models in my lifetime. My Model S P100D by far is my favorite.....(and the honeymoon phase is over after driving it for more than a year). Why?...it is easy and fun. I can honestly say owning an every day driver- five to seven passenger sedan with free supercharging for life that accelerates from 0 to 60 in 2.28 seconds (currently the quickest production car in the world) and a sub 10 second quarter mile makes this car thrilling. Plus great looks, air ride, saloon handling, snow traction, 5 star crash rating, amazing storage, great technology, killer app, low maintenance, etc.. propels this car light-years ahead of anything else I have ever owned. Is it perfect?-no...are there issues to work out?-yes...would I trade it for any other production car out there...not a chance. :cool:

Now, with that being said, I would NOT own a Tesla (or any current EV) if long distance cross country travel were my only driving requirements. Yes the supercharger network is the best and biggest in the world. But it is still a nuisance to plan trips and navigate to those superchargers. This will smartly change though as Tesla is adding more and more superchargers in addition to the V3.0 superchargers that were just announced.

I drove mine from Minneapolis to Pittsburgh over two days. Great road trip but not something I would want to do on a daily basis....and I have a 321 mile range.

As Tesla and other manufacturers get the charge time down and the range up, the popularity of these EV's is only going to sky rocket. We are still at the tip of the spear for now. Soon we will look back at these first Teslas as relics as wireless induction charging, swappable battery packs (like the NIO), and longer range ( roadster) with faster charging (Porsche) come into play. Gotta love technology. Changes faster than we can keep up with it. ;)

Btw, my younger brother talked to me until he was blue in the face about his Model S and why I needed to purchase one. I gave him every excuse I could think of why I would not buy one...especially since I'm the ICE performance car guy in the family. . Then, I test drove one. One word...Awesome. :D

I used to love coming to this Forum to read up on all the neat things people were doing and talking about in regards to their Tesla or future Tesla. Lately I've been considering why I'm even reading this forum anymore. I know this forum can't be filled with only complaints. I'm one of them. Sure I've only owned my Tesla Model S since July 2018, but I've had zero issues with Sparrow and love every single moment! Truly the best car I've personally ever owned and will never stop enjoying. I'm a woman in IT who really enjoys technology so maybe I'm more accepting of things than others. I know I can't be an outlier and others feel the same as I do. I would love to hear from those of you out there who are in the same boat as myself. If you have any stories, please share I would love to hear them!
Where is 1AU?

Jaciee, rest assured that there are plenty of folks like you on the forum, and I am among them. I think you are right in assuming that your IT connections may temper your judgment, as you may better understand the risks and benefits, and the delays, involved in developing a new technology. I still come to the forum to share experience and learn. In particular, I've found a wonderful sharing community here of folks with technical interests who share instructions (and sometimes pull together parts kits) to make various improvements to my Model S, such as improved interior lighting, dashcams, a parcel shelf lift, a front-facing bumper cam for parking assistance, and (currently) ways of retrofitting new visors with illuminated mirrors into my 2017-vintage vehicle.

My time on the forum suggests that Tesla owners can be divided into roughly four groupings: people who are into luxury cars, people who are into performance cars, people who are into evolving technology, and people who are concerned with the environment and the growing global warming crisis. This is of course a simplification, and there is overlap between these groups. Another way of dividing members is on what I call the "S spectrum;" that is, the degree to which they are motivated to considerations of Status (the prestige associated with owning an expensive car), Servicability (having a vehicle that fulfills practical tasks), and Social Concern.

The luxury car folks are often complaining about the lack of overhead hand-holds for car entry/egress, the absence of coat hangers and (until recently) illuminated vanity mirrors, etc. There is also a contingent of folks who enjoy bloviating about Elon Musk's "promises," and perceived slights. As well, there are postings that troll on behalf of stock short-sellers.

I've only owned three vehicles in my life, the last one a 32-year-old Volvo station wagon I sold when I acquired my Model S, which will almost certainly be my last car. Acquiring my Tesla was a huge financial stretch for me, but I am very happy I did it. I'm grateful every time I get into the car. It's as practical as my station wagon was, is infinitely more fun to drive, and contributes toward ending our species insanely destructive petroleum addiction, though much remains to be done in transforming our transportation systems.

So please cheer up, Jaciee: continue to participate in the forum, and continue to enjoy your beautiful battery electric car. Ignore the negativity, look for the useful nuggets to be found here, and continue to make your own positive contributions. :)

Well said, and thanks. As a long-time TMC contributor I have to confess to having lost interest, largely because, like @Jaciee, of all the negativity, which has become worse with the Model 3 community (I should note I have both a Model S P85 and a Model 3 performance).

I consider myself among the early Tesla adapters and I have made many very good Tesla friends, especially in the early years of ownership. Most of them feel the same and now almost never visit TMC, largely because of all of the whiners, cry babies, and complainers, who think they're entitled. Sorry to say, but it's the way of the world today. Wish it weren't so, but it is.

Well said, and thanks. As a long-time TMC contributor I have to confess to having lost interest, largely because, like @Jaciee, of all the negativity, which has become worse with the Model 3 community (I should note I have both a Model S P85 and a Model 3 performance).

I consider myself among the early Tesla adapters and I have made many very good Tesla friends, especially in the early years of ownership. Most of them feel the same and now almost never visit TMC, largely because of all of the whiners, cry babies, and complainers, who think they're entitled. Sorry to say, but it's the way of the world today. Wish it weren't so, but it is.

We have both a 2017 MX75D and a 2018 M3LRRWD, can’t stop smiling every time we drive either one. Great for long trips or just running errands around town. Every new update makes them feel new again. Never experienced this with ANY other car ever made. Thanks Tesla for building these amazing cars, really computers on wheels. Also makes us feel good for the environment at the same time. No down side at all. We will never go back to an ice car again.

Car fanatic here with a collection of slightly over a dozen vehicles.

I told my insurance company that I would put less than 12k miles on my Tesla MS 100D because I have a variety of fun cars of which to drive. In the year I have owned my Tesla, I have put 20k miles on it and I bet less than 1000 miles collectively on the rest of my cars.

I love m Tesla. The Service centers still suck, but the car is fantastic! Sorry for the negativity, but in SoCal it is a true statement. :)

Gonna trim down to a classic MB Roadster, truck, and Harley as well as my beloved Tesla soon :)

Reactions: Jaciee