TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A Pure Electric Household with an MX & MS Consumption for 2016

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Muzzman1, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Hi Guys,
    I have a separate meter on my panel to measure the cars electrical consumption and I finally pulled a report for 2016.

Here's the numbers: In total we consumed 13,207.316 kWh.
    We drove the MX about 12k miles and the MS 20k miles.
    We have a 12kw PV system, so the true electrical costs are beyond my mathematical capabilities, but if we didn't have solar we would have paid about $1981 at .15/kWh here in LA (average with time of time of use night charging rates)

Works out to about .$0619/mile. for "fuel" if we had no solar.

During that period our power bill was $1648 for 2016.
    We have a 4000ft house in SoCal with 2 toddlers (so the A/C gets some serious usage)

I'm pretty stoked with the results.

• Informative x 4
  2. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

oh and our PV produced 18349.5kWh during 2016.....(sorry could not edit)

3. mblakele

mblakele (つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)つ

Thanks for sharing that data. Do you know how many kWh the cars reported consuming?

Based on other posts here I'd guess about 10.5 MWh total, with 80% overall efficiency from meter to motor. That fits pretty well with 32k miles and 300-ish Wh/mi. Is that close?

4. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Sadly I don't have an exact value, but in total the MS reports 314wh/mi and the MX reports 406wh/mi. MX mostly does 2-3mi jaunts to kids school etc. and we live on a 700ft incline.

• Like x 1