Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A question about home delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do have a (hopefully hypothetical) question re: home delivery. My home is Las Cruces (southeast New Mexico), and I am scheduled for delivery to my home, probably in early August. If upon offloading the vehicle I find paint scratches, glass scratches, or some other undesirable problem, how could this best be handled: refuse delivery (this is a third-party contracted trucker, not a Tesla employee)? Accept delivery and then travel the 400 mile trip to the Phoenix area and spend three days there (one day there, one day at service center, one day back)? Another solution (that does not come to my mind)? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Maybe call Tesla to see how they would like you to handle it. I had a home delivery for my S, but had no issues so I don’t have any direct experience with it going wrong. If there are major issues, they might pick it up and drop off a loaner for you once delivery has been accepted, you never know.

As per the MVPA it's between you and the insurance company for the carrier (which they do not describe to you before hand but is usually pretty skimpy). If you refuse delivery you get to pay any additional transportation charges.

And now you know why I wouldn't consider a home delivery. I only have to drive 100 miles over the Sierra from Reno to Rocklin but I think that is less risky if there is an issue.