Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A question about VIN assignment and delivery scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to manage my expectations. I ordered on November 30 and was given a December 15-31 delivery window. That information disappeared a week ago, and I still have not been given any further information other than a service advisor told me on Tuesday that she still saw a December delivery on my order. So, my question is when is a VIN assigned and delivery scheduled? When the car comes off the production line? When it arrives at its final destination? Since production has shut down, I just don't see any way that a car is going to get from California to Atlanta in time for a December delivery unless it's already on it's way. It's so frustrating because production has shut down and somebody knows whether I am getting a car or not, I'm just not being communicated with at all.

We signed the sales order for an MX on Dec 2nd. We were told we should expect a delivery before year end. A couple of days ago concern about not having a VIN yet, I emailed our sales rep. He said he was still crossing his fingers for delivery before year end.

Two questions: 1) It sounds like some of you may have been given some sort of delivery date before you were given a VIN? 2) Where should I find a delivery window or specific date?

Reactions: skybluecgreen
The VIN has to be assigned to the vehicle during manufacturing since it becomes a physical part of the completed car. I don't know at what part of the manufacturing process that occurs but certainly before it hits transportation - truck or train.

Larspa, I ordered online and a delivery window immediately showed up on my online account until it disappeared a week ago. It sounds like we are in the same situation. I hope there’s still a chance of the cars showing up and that the sales advisors aren’t just blowing smoke. There are only four days left in December. I need to take delivery in December because the car is a company purchase and there are significant tax savings involved.

jeffbco, I don’t think I was clear in my question. I was wondering at what point a car is assigned to an owner and when the VIN is communicated to the owner. If a car hasn’t already been assigned to me and is on its way, there’s no way I’m getting it this month.

Larspa, I ordered online and a delivery window immediately showed up on my online account until it disappeared a week ago. It sounds like we are in the same situation. I hope there’s still a chance of the cars showing up and that the sales advisors aren’t just blowing smoke. There are only four days left in December. I need to take delivery in December because the car is a company purchase and there are significant tax savings involved.

jeffbco, I don’t think I was clear in my question. I was wondering at what point a car is assigned to an owner and when the VIN is communicated to the owner. If a car hasn’t already been assigned to me and is on its way, there’s no way I’m getting it this month.
Someone at Tesla would really like "your car" to be sold in 2020 so I'm sure all is being done to make this happen. It can get from Fremont to Atlanta before 12/31. Wish I could help you with the assignment process and assignment date. Good luck - New Year's Eve may be an exciting time for you.

If you haven't got a VIN by now, other than it being an inventory car, I don't see how you can get it before EOY. Unless they changed the process. You usually get your VIN when a car is linked to your order, either by manufacturing it for you, or an inventory car matching your specs.

Usually the VIN is assigned very close to delivery. I think by the time I got a VIN, the next day, I got a delivery notification email for pickup a in 2 days. I live in the Bay Area, so close to Fremont, but I don't think you can get a VIN and be 4 days away from delivery.

I also bought mine for Section 179 reasons, but I knew Tesla and their EOQ and EOY delivery madness, so I ordered my on Oct 1st, and got delivered in Nov, just to make sure I made the 2020 deadline.

Good luck.

I hope you get it before EOY. Nice to have the 179 write off for a day of use. :)

-ThinkMac-

If you haven't got a VIN by now, other than it being an inventory car, I don't see how you can get it before EOY. Unless they changed the process. You usually get your VIN when a car is linked to your order, either by manufacturing it for you, or an inventory car matching your specs.

Usually the VIN is assigned very close to delivery. I think by the time I got a VIN, the next day, I got a delivery notification email for pickup a in 2 days. I live in the Bay Area, so close to Fremont, but I don't think you can get a VIN and be 4 days away from delivery.

I also bought mine for Section 179 reasons, but I knew Tesla and their EOQ and EOY delivery madness, so I ordered my on Oct 1st, and got delivered in Nov, just to make sure I made the 2020 deadline.

Good luck.

I hope you get it before EOY. Nice to have the 179 write off for a day of use. :)

-ThinkMac-

question about Section 179...in order to get the full right off it needs to be used solely for work, correct? I am self-employed but besides driving to a few Clients a few times a year my car is mainly used for personal reasons. Not sure if section 179 would work for me.

question about Section 179...in order to get the full right off it needs to be used solely for work, correct? I am self-employed but besides driving to a few Clients a few times a year my car is mainly used for personal reasons. Not sure if section 179 would work for me.
Outsourced CFO here. Obviously I don’t know the details of your individual situation and you should not take this response as tax advice and you should always consult with a tax professional before making tax related decisions - but 179 is likely not for you based on what you’ve described.

• Helpful
Reactions: cusetownusa
I finally got someone at the dealership on the phone today and was just told that my car was not produced before the shutdown, and that I would not be getting a new delivery window until production started back up. I assume I will get one of the first Model X's in the US after production begins. I hope whatever changes is worth the wait.

I finally got someone at the dealership on the phone today and was just told that my car was not produced before the shutdown, and that I would not be getting a new delivery window until production started back up. I assume I will get one of the first Model X's in the US after production begins. I hope whatever changes is worth the wait.

I guess I can assume Im in the same boat here, ordered Dec 7th.. When you get yours I can look forward to mine coming.