Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Quick and Easy QI Wireless Phone Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been researching wireless Qi options for the Model S, looked at a couple of threads.

I just got an email today saying the Enblue was back in stock. Looked at their photos, I'm not terribly impressed.

Enblue:
Pros: easy install, no tools required
Cons: slow charge, blocks cubby access

Abstract Ocean:
Pros: magnetic mount
Cons: disassembly required, blocks the air vent

Custom hack (QI Wireless Phone Charging):
Pros: looks nearly stock
Cons: requires major surgery of your center console, Daerik says his only sometimes worked

What I really like is the solution from Jeda for the Model 3; I also have an inquiry out for their Model S solution when it's available. The brilliant thing about the Jeda solution (that some people think is kludgy) is for $20 they add a 10,000 mAh power bank for fast charging. It's basically a micro Tesla Powerwall (in concept)... charge the power bank at 5V 1 amp, power bank uses the stored energy to charge up to two phones at 1.5-2.1 amps each. I'm considering buying my own power bank and sticking it somewhere hidden.

At this point I'm waiting to see if something better turns up.

David

• Informative
Reactions: MarkKW
Saw this one posted on another thread...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4DRCBV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1OCNKVJSVDAX&psc=1

I might give this one a try. Anyone else have experience with the Topfit solution? Only downside I see is that you lose easy access to the storage space beneath.

I would give it a try, but I also use the large cupholders often and the reviews on Amazon indicate heat issues (at least with the S9).

Please post back with your experience.

I got this charger, but have not installed it yet, Dash Mounted Qi Charger. From this video
it looks pretty easy to install.

BTW, the micro-suction really holds the phone. I made the mistake of attaching my phone to the mount. I had a heck of time getting the mount to release the phone. I assume it will release easier once the mount is attached to the car.

The hold up on installing it is I am not sure if I want the phone on the right side of the screen. Seems kind of far away since I stream media from the phone. Anyone have any thoughts on left versus right side of the screen?

Here's my revised version of a "built in" QI charger.

Amazon QI Charger

51NMwOsAhRL._SX679_.jpg

View media item 118737
I Dremeled the "Universal ball groove" off the back of the charger and the "Universal Ball" off the "Base with 3M Sticker" and then epoxied the two pieces together.

The charger automatically grips my phone and holds it in place when I put it in the cradle. I used two layers of 3M automotive tape to keep it in place
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: SpudLime
I'd definitely recommend the custom hack in Daerik's video. I have no problem with reliability (even with a phone case) and did the mod myself over a year ago. The stock look is hard to beat IMO. You also don't have to remove all of the center console side panels like he did in the video.

I like this set up. Wondering, Will the door close with the phone in the cradle? If so, does it still charge or does the phone slide away when upside down?

The door won't close with the phone in the cradle. The height of the phone in inside the cradle keeps the door from closing. I must admit, I have never encountered a situation where I would want to close the door with the phone in the cradle.

Reactions: NYL12
Ive been using the new aluminum kit from skyline, and it works great. Not wireless, but the guides work well enough that to me it doesn't matter. I can dock and fast charge my phone without looking and without removing my case. Until something more integrated comes out for Qi this is a great solution.

Reactions: skyline
Ive been using the new aluminum kit from skyline, and it works great. Not wireless, but the guides work well enough that to me it doesn't matter. I can dock and fast charge my phone without looking and without removing my case. Until something more integrated comes out for Qi this is a great solution.
Thanks for the feedback! Let us know should anything come up and stay tuned as we release more new products!

I got this charger, but have not installed it yet, Dash Mounted Qi Charger. From this video
it looks pretty easy to install.

BTW, the micro-suction really holds the phone. I made the mistake of attaching my phone to the mount. I had a heck of time getting the mount to release the phone. I assume it will release easier once the mount is attached to the car.

The hold up on installing it is I am not sure if I want the phone on the right side of the screen. Seems kind of far away since I stream media from the phone. Anyone have any thoughts on left versus right side of the screen?

I just got this one and did install on the left side of the screen for the same reason you mentioned. Works ok but I’m struggling with another issue, the remains so tight on the cable it literally cuts off the power!