Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A quick comparison Focal ISU200 vs Hertz MPK165.3 Woofers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Focal ISU200 is a common upgrade, although I had already installed the Hertz set I wanted to evaluate the Focal.

2 Hour impressions, it's definitely better than stock, but not as clean, low or dynamic as the Hertz.

RWD/SR+ and you don't want to install a sub, the Hertz will give you a bit more
RWD/SR+/Premium and you have a stock/aftermarket sub, I'd probably go with the Focal and save a few bucks, once blended with the sub the output is still nice. (that being said I have a RWD with aftermarket sub and I will likely switch back to the Hertz, but needs a few weeks to give a proper evaluation with a more diverse array of music).

I still have to design brackets for the Focal tweeters so the Hertz are still installed.

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: AS9.9. and Adam3
This would probably be worthy of it's own thread later on, but I'll just share it here for now until I develop a more repeatable measurement process and jig for mic alignment. I'd also like to find someone local with a RWD, and Premium to capture the stock measurement curves.
REW rta measurements of the Model 3 RWD with Scan speak 10F's on the dash and rear doors, Focal ISU200 woofer/tweeter using the modified Hansshow activation harness with a Kicker L7T8 in the factory ported enclosure powered by a Kicker Key 500.1.

The sub is tuned for highway driving level, and as you can tell by the measurements is bit overwhelming at lower volumes.

The overall sound differences between the Hertz and Focal aren't night and day, I do think the Focal blends better with the Scan Speak 10F's and overall sounds more natural and seamless. I do think the Hertz is a bit smoother on the top end, and a bit cleaner on the low end with better extension, this isn't necessary with the subwoofer. The Focal woofer might also blend a bit better with the kicker sub, meaning that when I tune the levels correctly the bass seems to come from up front and you'd swear it was just the door woofers. I'll switch back to the Hertz in a week or two and take some measurements and give a better comparison. I'll also turn off the subwoofer and take some measurements of the Hertz vs Focal woofers to see what the difference is, as this would be useful for people who replace the door woofers but don't add a subwoofer.

If there are other tests/measurements that you'd like just let me know. I also have a pair of Hertz 700.3 mids, I'd like to see how these compare to the scan speaks, especially when paired with the Hertz woofers/tweeters.

The stock EQ bands, don't do much to correct the issues in the response, a DSP would probably make a pretty considerable difference, and possibly make improvements to time alignment especially since the tweeters are getting the same signal as the outer dash mids. The rear door speakers disappear now (same scan speak 10f's) and they just add ambiance, but using a differential rear signal may improve that effect.

Focal No EQ Bass level for Highway.png

Focal New EQ Bass tuned for Highway.png

Linear representation of the NO EQ graph.png

Reactions: alex_seattle09
I see the listed specs are basically the same, so I guess it comes down to quality. And another big difference being the hertz are 6.5" vs 8"

Hertz MPK165.3
  • 6.5"
  • frequency range: 40-22,500 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92 dB
Focal ISU200
  • 8"
  • frequency response: 40-21,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 93 dB

Having used a few sets of Focal's in the past (not the ISU200) and competing with Hertz Mille's in my Accord, I would expect the Hertz to sound better than the Focal's. In my opinion, using the largest driver in the door is the best way to get the best sound up front that you can, hence the reason I use an Illusion C8 in the door. Of course this also relies on a solid install.

The Focal ISU200 is a common upgrade, although I had already installed the Hertz set I wanted to evaluate the Focal.

2 Hour impressions, it's definitely better than stock, but not as clean, low or dynamic as the Hertz.

RWD/SR+ and you don't want to install a sub, the Hertz will give you a bit more
RWD/SR+/Premium and you have a stock/aftermarket sub, I'd probably go with the Focal and save a few bucks, once blended with the sub the output is still nice. (that being said I have a RWD with aftermarket sub and I will likely switch back to the Hertz, but needs a few weeks to give a proper evaluation with a more diverse array of music).

I still have to design brackets for the Focal tweeters so the Hertz are still installed.

View attachment 937221

View attachment 937222
If u added a Amplifier for the isu200, there will be a significant improvement on bass. If u look for a loud and clean speaker at similar price level, I would go for Audison AP8, not as good as issue for bass but it is clean and loud compare with isu200. For upgrade from isu200, I guess BLAM 8” 2 ohm with amplifier will be a good choice.

Btw, did anyone install timpano mid bass slim 8” with amplifier on model 3/Y?

I'm looking into a local installer who can fit the Focal ISU 200 into my 2013 Tesla Model S with the base audio system. I'm hoping to have them install a class D 6-channel Sony XM-G6DSP, some coaxial rear speakers, and do a little sound-deadening to the doors and wheel wells. Perhaps I'll add a small sub if the necessary. I'm hoping the larger 8" woofers amped with the DSP tuned can be enough for me. Trying to keep the whole thing under $2,500 or else I'll just do the install myself and pay for tuning.