Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A quick perspective on Model 3 build quality concerns.......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

After 2,000 miles of Model 3 ownership, I have to report that I love the car. I have had a couple minor issues, though;

#1 My phone was not syncing to make calls (this turned out to be my phone, not the car).
#2 My GPS stopped working (that went away after letting the car sit for an hour).
#3 I got a "Service your charging port door" error after a very hard rain storm (that went away after a few minutes of use).

Also, my A-pillar interior trim pieces have the common issue of bowing outward a bit in hot temperatures and there are a couple pieces of rubber trim around the front door windows that look a bit misshapen (though they seal just fine).

Here's the thing, I am a perfectionist. So, these things normally drive me crazy. The electronic glitches were simple and temporary. The material issues are minor. I will eventually have them taken care of. But not right now. I am having too much fun.

Anyway, I was showing a friend of mine the car today. When he asked about any issues, I shared these things with him. Then a good illustration came to mind; I told him owning the Model 3 is like owning a Lotus. They are expensive and have some fit and finish issues, but you kind of know that going into it. I am approaching this car from the standpoint of "I am buying the technology, not perfect fit and finish" in the same way a Lotus owner approaches his purchase. He is buying the driveline, chassis, handling, looks, prestige, etc. Also, we are early adopters. Some glitches come with the territory.

Now, am I saying we should not expect quality for our $50k purchase? I am not suggesting that at all. In fact, I admit I have some nervousness about this purchase. But, it is a product. It is a product designed and built by human beings (and rushed to market besides). I can live with minor fit and finish and having to reboot the display every couple hundred miles or so to get my phone to pair or whatever. Heck my ford C-Max hybrid has more glitches than this car and more body misalignment! Of course that car was half the money.......

Anyway, I can understand the concerns about Tesla quality control. I just wanted to point out that the tech is awesome, the performance is awesome, the handling is awesome, etc. There are bound to be issues. Fit and finish seem to be those issues with Tesla........

Matt

IMG_4417.GIF

• Love
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq