Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A real pain removing J1772 adapter from Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge from a J1772 charging station at home and noticed that in the last few months it's gotten to be a real bear to remove the charger from the car. I don't know if something changing with the new software version, or if it's my port hardware, but it used to be much easier. Now, I'll remove the cable, and the light will change color, I'll hear a quick click it's like it's unlocking then re-locking the adapter super fast before I can remove it. I keep a hand on the adapter and wiggle it fore and aft (no innuendo intended) to let the latch release but it ALWAYS requires me to re-insert the charger cable, remove it, reinsert it, remove it, and then get lucky with some random combination and the adapter will release and I remove it.

Is there a trick to this? My wife now refuses to try, she makes me do it before she will drive the car.

This has always been a messy affair. The tried-and-true trick is to hold the adapter with your left hand, the J1772 handle with your right hand (hold down the unlock button on top of the handle as needed), then pull them out together! They'll come out together and then, you can pull apart the adapter and the handle.

Reactions: BEEZR
This has always been a messy affair. The tried-and-true trick is to hold the adapter with your left hand, the J1772 handle with your right hand (hold down the unlock button on top of the handle as needed), then pull them out together! They'll come out together and then, you can pull apart the adapter and the handle.
That's what I do and it regularly takes me two or three attempts to get both out together

Reactions: Trunk Gap

Exactly how I do it (and how Tesla instructed when I got my car years ago). Works every time, no fuss.

I have always used the J1772 adapter at home and never had a problem. I make sure the car reads the FOB when I approach if it is locked. i click the button on the handle and you can hear it disengage. Both come out as one.

Hmm, I never remove them together and don't have a problem. I remove the cord, leave the adapter in the car. Then make sure the port is unlocked (port turns white) either by holding down the trunk button on the remote for 5 seconds, via the touchscreen, or sometimes if the car is unlocked and the door is open, when I remove the power cord, the charge port goes to white/unlock automatically.

As mentioned a few posts above, the car MUST be unlocked either by detecting the key fob at the driver door first or manually by double clicking the key fob. That disables the rapid re-engagement of the J1772 lock. Unlock car first and the port turns white and stays white and the J1772 adapter can be pulled out 100% of the time. In fact, the delay for automatic re-engagement of the locking mechanism is long enough that you can even release the trigger and pull the whole thing (cord and adapter) out with one hand. Again, if the car is locked, when you press the trigger or interrupt the electricity the port will turn white after a moment and the J1772 locking mechanism will dis-engage briefly but re-engage so quickly you can't pull it out in time. Frustrating but that's to prevent someone from stealing your $90 adapter!

Reactions: DriverOne
I charge all the time with J1772, as everyone says I have the fob so the car unlocks, hold the j1772 left hand, press the button, it will release. Pull it all out together. Is your Fob battery good. I just had to replace mine after a year.

As mentioned a few posts above, the car MUST be unlocked either by detecting the key fob at the driver door first or manually by double clicking the key fob. That disables the rapid re-engagement of the J1772 lock. Unlock car first and the port turns white and stays white and the J1772 adapter can be pulled out 100% of the time. In fact, the delay for automatic re-engagement of the locking mechanism is long enough that you can even release the trigger and pull the whole thing (cord and adapter) out with one hand. Again, if the car is locked, when you press the trigger or interrupt the electricity the port will turn white after a moment and the J1772 locking mechanism will dis-engage briefly but re-engage so quickly you can't pull it out in time. Frustrating but that's to prevent someone from stealing your $90 adapter!

Good description.

With the car unlocked (long re-latch delay), I press the J1772 plug release button/hook to unlatch the J adapter from the Tesla. Then I let go of the J1772 plug release button/hook so that it holds on to the J adapter. Finally, and before the car re-latches the J adapter, I use the J1772 plug and its hook to pull the J adapter out of the Tesla.

Somewhat related, I've noticed the time between unlocking using the touch screen and relocking has been shortened too much. I can barely get out of the car in time to slip in my adapter before the port locks again.