Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A real steering wheel for new Model S & X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the one I think I'm going to go with. Note: the center section including the buttons and surrounding area used the original yoke, so the flat area that looks kinda crappy is just a placeholder if I read the info from the manufacturer correctly. I like the look of this company as they offer quite a bit of customization. I'll probably go with adding the heating and smooth leather + alcantara with red stitching. Tesla Model S & Model X Custom Steering Wheels For Sale | Exclusive Steering

Here's the one I think I'm going to go with. Note: the center section including the buttons and surrounding area used the original yoke, so the flat area that looks kinda crappy is just a placeholder if I read the info from the manufacturer correctly. I like the look of this company as they offer quite a bit of customization. I'll probably go with adding the heating and smooth leather + alcantara with red stitching. Tesla Model S & Model X Custom Steering Wheels For Sale | Exclusive Steering
That does look like a nice option. I'm gonna see how I do with the yoke for a little while but it's great to have the choice.

FYI: if you've never had alcantara on a steering wheel before, you might think twice about it if you plan to own the car for a long time. It looks and feels great in all seasons when its new, but it's not a fantastic wear item by any means. Had the alcantara wheel on a BMW 330i ZHP I used to own back in the day and after only 60k miles it was developing some wear spots that were very unattractive. I'd seen them in used cars for sale that looked absolutely atrocious (though I'm guessing you're like me and keep your hands clean, generally) 😉

If you have, then don't mind me...

Reactions: Xeux
I was wondering the same thing. Doesn’t solve all things but many.

Also I would suspect someone to come up with an “arc” to just attach to the existing yoke. Minimize voiding warranties and reversible. Doesn’t seem like that would be that hard to do.
You can put the yoke back together, no damage is done to parts as far as I know. With regards warranty, see this about aftermarket parts. Will Installing Aftermarket Parts Void My Tesla Warranty?.

Reactions: TravelFree
Link? Curious what this looks like.

Sure
Full disclosure. My car was the first far as I know (had it installed a month), and my Model S in some of their media which I participated in. Local company.

I took it off once to get a warranty- alignment at Tesla. Already had a big problem pulling to the right, and I didn't want them to blame it on the steering wheel or something

Maybe he got this from Tsportline.

I got it from After Shock Garage in Portland OR. They'll send you a whole kit. Any mechanic can put it together or you can even do it yourself if you're comfortable working on cars.

I tried link and talking about it won't let me post a link because I'm a noob and didn't say hello. Google Aftershock Garage Yoke Completer. Local company to me so they installed for me. I took it off once to get a warranty- alignment at Tesla. Already had a big problem pulling to the right, and I didn't want them to blame it on the steering wheel or something

Reactions: Neon001
I tried link and talking about it won't let me post a link because I'm a noob and didn't say hello. Google Aftershock Garage Yoke Completer. Local company to me so they installed for me. I took it off once to get a warranty- alignment at Tesla. Already had a big problem pulling to the right, and I didn't want them to blame it on the steering wheel or something

Awesome. I love it. I have not received my S yet. But if I have issues with Yoke that’s the fix for me.

Smart move to remove it before service.

Here is the link. Nice and simple. I like the way it mounts.

Reactions: Neon001
Awesome. I love it. I have not received my S yet. But if I have issues with Yoke that’s the fix for me.

Smart move to remove it before service.

Here is the link. Nice and simple. I like the way it mounts.

No disrespect intended, but I was expecting a much more affordable price for such a non-integral solution. Neat idea though.

It’s 1/4 what TSportline wants. And 1/3 what Handsshow wants. Don’t forget they don’t get a lot of volume on these things.
Yeah, but neither of those products look like prosthetics for the stock yoke. They're complete wheels with custom materials and integrated components that no doubt feel like a legit alternative wheel. This is...not that, and it's obvious just by looking at it. Sorry, it just looks like too much of a kluge for my tastes. Maybe for $200-250 just for convenience sake, but no more than that. These materials just aren't that expensive if you source them from the right place, and as someone who has experience with CAD...yeah, there's just way too much markup on this for me to consider it.

Reactions: TravelFree