Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A REAL wireless charging pad for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the Nomad today. I love the fit and finish. However....I was really dismayed to find out that you cannot disconnect one of the cables and just not use that side of the charger (to leave the other front USB open for the dashcam). You can disconnect one cable and it will appear to still work...until the car powers off. Once it powers back on, the Nomad will not function unless you plug the second cable back in. I don't know what to do now because I really want to be able to use the dashcam and I don't want to tear my console apart trying to run extension cables only to find it doesn't work as JPP describes.

Also, does anyone know what constitutes a "small phone" that would require the spacers the Nomad comes with? I have an iPhone 8 and it seems to fit fine and charge without the spacers, but I'm not sure if it is optimally aligned with the coils to be able to get the best charge rate. The spacers seem so awkward that I don't really want to use them. I tried testing with a USB tester to see if I'm getting good charge rate, but this proves impossible as I think I'm seeing the rate of the charge to the Nomad's built in battery, not the rate of charge the phone is getting.

According to Nomad's own website, it should function with only one USB plugged in at a slower charge rate. I think its the left USB cord that needs to always be plugged as the primary. I have not tried with my own Nomad yet, but I don't think I'll have a need to as I dont plan to use the DashCam function when I get v9

According to Nomad's own website, it should function with only one USB plugged in at a slower charge rate. I think its the left USB cord that needs to always be plugged as the primary. I have not tried with my own Nomad yet, but I don't think I'll have a need to as I dont plan to use the DashCam function when I get v9

I did see that on their FAQ, but it doesn't appear to be true with my unit. You can unplug the righthand cord and it will work on the left but only until the car goes to sleep and not again until you plug the right cable back in. When I do that the unit will flash both lights when it starts up, and then I can unplug the right cable again. I'm interested to hear if others experience the same behavior.

Not USB 3.0 but I thought that the front ports were not 3.0.
I’m not a USB expert, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm, but the front USB ports put out around 2.6A, which is well above the 900mA spec of USB 3.0. The problem with a USB 2.0 cable, is that it might be a bottleneck, limiting power delivery to your charger. Alternatively, the gauge of the copper wire in the usb cable may be an even bigger factor, with larger gauge wires delivering more amperage downstream.

Will My Phone Charge Faster If I Plug It Into A USB 3.0 Port?

Fast charging? Why some cables charge faster than others.

I did see that on their FAQ, but it doesn't appear to be true with my unit. You can unplug the righthand cord and it will work on the left but only until the car goes to sleep and not again until you plug the right cable back in. When I do that the unit will flash both lights when it starts up, and then I can unplug the right cable again. I'm interested to hear if others experience the same behavior.

Have you reported this to Nomad? I just ordered this pad last night and took their faq at face value. I planned on using just one cable and saving the other slot for dashcam drive. If your unit isn’t functioning per their website I would contact them and see what’s up.

Have you reported this to Nomad? I just ordered this pad last night and took their faq at face value. I planned on using just one cable and saving the other slot for dashcam drive. If your unit isn’t functioning per their website I would contact them and see what’s up.

Yes, I asked that question through their contact page on Monday night. I have not heard back yet.

Yes, I asked that question through their contact page on Monday night. I have not heard back yet.

They got back to me and confirmed that they were able to replicate what I was describing. I guess no one had actually tested this scenario before? So it's confirmed you cannot unplug one cable of the Nomad and leave it that way (unless you want to do it every time you drive the car). I ended up getting the USB splitter mentioned earlier in this thread and that does work to keep the Nomad powered, though I'm still waiting on V9 to test the dashcam.

• Informative
Reactions: Ludatik
Yes 4 ports; however the ports the nomad is plugged into will not support data (which is fine because the nomad doesn't use data)

I purchased two of the splitter cables off Amazon. I plugged the two Nomad cables to the red side of the splitter cables. It worked briefly and I was able to test the Nomad charger. As soon as I left the car and when I came back, it stopped working. What is your experience so far with these splitter cables?

I've had the splitter cable for about a week now. It seems to be working fine. I bought another to be able to use the left USB port for the dashcam when I get v9.

Thank you! I wonder if it's because my software isn't the latest (not talking about V9, but I'm still on 34.1). Maybe 36.2 has a stronger output to the USB ports and thereby allowing the splitters to work? Mine works when I initially set it up but then goes away once I leave the car.

Thank you! I wonder if it's because my software isn't the latest (not talking about V9, but I'm still on 34.1). Maybe 36.2 has a stronger output to the USB ports and thereby allowing the splitters to work? Mine works when I initially set it up but then goes away once I leave the car.

I'm on 36.2 and no issues with the splitter so far, but I have yet to make use of the data side of the cable.