Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A REAL wireless charging pad for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poor iPhone users, always talking about charging, oh well , the little green man keeps me going for 36hours on one charge, shht:)

giphy.gif

What definitely bothers me the most about buying an iPhone is when it’s worth 50% or more of its original price two years later.

What's your experience so far with the splitter cable? Mine doesn't seem to work plugging in the Nomad USB to the red charging side of the splitter. At least not consistently.

I read somewhere that the front USB ports are only active when the screen is on. Also, from the manual...

Model 3 Manual - Page 17
Note: Do not connect multiple devices using a
USB hub. This can prevent connected devices
from charging or from being recognized by
Media Player.

I purchased two of the splitter cables off Amazon. I plugged the two Nomad cables to the red side of the splitter cables. It worked briefly and I was able to test the Nomad charger. As soon as I left the car and when I came back, it stopped working. What is your experience so far with these splitter cables?
When you say "it stopped working" do you mean the nomad charger or the usb data port? I haven't had any power delivery issues with my nomad using these cables; but I have ocassionally lost my USB in the tesla interface which required me to stop the car then start it again before it would read the USB drive again. Only has happened once and I'm not convinced it was the splitter cable as the connection actually seems fine and I didn't replug it or anything for it to recover. I think it was probably a tesla bug.

You said you left the car... I think the USB ports stop working when you leave the car anyways. Could it be this behavior?

When you say "it stopped working" do you mean the nomad charger or the usb data port? I haven't had any power delivery issues with my nomad using these cables; but I have ocassionally lost my USB in the tesla interface which required me to stop the car then start it again before it would read the USB drive again. Only has happened once and I'm not convinced it was the splitter cable as the connection actually seems fine and I didn't replug it or anything for it to recover. I think it was probably a tesla bug.

You said you left the car... I think the USB ports stop working when you leave the car anyways. Could it be this behavior?

I plug in the Nomad USB cables into the two ports: works. Charges fine. I then unplug the Nomad USB cables, plug in the two splitters (I bought 2, one for each port), plug the Nomad USB cables into the red side of the splitters. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have to do a few unplugs and plugs and then it'll work. Once it works, I test by removing my phone off the charging pad back and forth, and it charges fine, doesn't skip a beat. I then get out of the car, close the car door, and the screen shuts off. I reopen the car door, waking up the car computer, then try to charge my phone again, and it doesn't work.

I don't think the splitter cable is faulty. I'm just not why it works then stops. I'm thinking the Software version that I'm on might play a role? We'll see. I won't stop trying.

i just cancelled my NOMAD order. I already have a JEDA PAD anyways but wanted to take advantage of the integrated battery of the NOMAD.

It seem like right now the NOMAD doesn't work reliably with just one USB attached so I will wait until either tesla has a fix where we dont have to use a USB stick... or NOMAD changes their software and truly allows the device to be used with one USB attached like their website currently advertises.

I wrote to them explaining the reason for my cancellation and they didn't seem to care.

Oh well... the JEDA PAD works great anyways.

Yeah, well the fact that you're getting charging off the splitter should mean it that side of the cable works at least. I wasn't even getting that consistently. I will retry later.

Confirmed yesterday that my Nomad works fine on V9 software with a single splitter cable on the right USB port with the Nomad on the power only cable and a USB stick for the dashcam on the data cable.

Reactions: preilly44