Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A REAL wireless charging pad for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d be nervous about having my phone just loose on the pad like that. If it had some way to keep the phone from moving around (other than the non-slip coating it says it has) then I might be interested. I’m perfectly fine with connecting my phone with the cable since that will help keep the phone in place.
We'll have 2 phones in that area so I'm not really concerned about sliding. Plus that area seems just a little larger than 2 phones. I don't think it can slide out of that area.

If the USB plug is only 1A each anyway, we wouldn't have a fast charging option like someone mentioned further up the thread. We would get max 1A per device. This would divide that into .5A. It would be helpful to confirm.

Honestly, it's less of a concern for me. This isn't intended to be the device that fully charges my phone. It's a convenience that I don't have to plug it in. I just lay it down and any time I need it I can just pick it up. Like on those long trips to CA when AP is active and I'm bored. :)

Reactions: MP3Mike
Anyone preorder and have any updates? I haven't heard any updates for a week or so, with production slated to start this month. Anyone receive any recent updates about delivery? I do see the website was updated and the product itself has been updated, and the Tesla logo removed.

Reactions: McFlurri
Anyone preorder and have any updates? I haven't heard any updates for a week or so, with production slated to start this month. Anyone receive any recent updates about delivery? I do see the website was updated and the product itself has been updated, and the Tesla logo removed.
I pre-ordered a few months ago. According to their twitter page they will be sending confirmation emails “in a matter of days.” That was from a day ago so hopefully this week.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pieter Knispel
Mind sharing what the issues are with the RPM pad? Was wondering if the surface area would be too small on those tiny chargers, making any phone movement result in loss of “contact?” Thanks!

My issue (your mileage may vary) is the charging pads are so small, if your phone moves the tiniest bit it stops charging. My phone seems to slide more with RPM's mat that goes over the charge pad than the stock Tesla mat.

My other issue is my wife's phone is a tiny bit smaller than my phone so the wireless charger is in a slightly different place. She can't get hers to work at all.

• Informative
Reactions: fseir and SpiceWare
My issue (your mileage may vary) is the charging pads are so small, if your phone moves the tiniest bit it stops charging. My phone seems to slide more with RPM's mat that goes over the charge pad than the stock Tesla mat.

My other issue is my wife's phone is a tiny bit smaller than my phone so the wireless charger is in a slightly different place. She can't get hers to work at all.
The RPM pad isn't wireless - it's got a puck that you stick behind it and put the pad over it. And that puck seems to be pretty small. Different phones have different heights and different locations for their wireless chargers. So I can see how this would not be too useful. Also, if you have a thick case, it might not charge well through that case (unless your case is a wireless charging case).

My pad from RPM just came in. I will install it this weekend and give feedback. I too am concerned with movement of the phone but I think that problem can be solved by adding a foam adhesive strip vertically on the pad to keep the phone in place. We will see.

Reactions: preilly44
Installed the RPM Wireless charger and am very surprised that the charging speed was the same as the front usb. I took my phone inside to check the speed on my main wireless charger on my Nightstand and got the same speed. Maybe TESLA recently upgraded the front usb output. No need to keep the RPM charger so I will return. Also, there IS a very small margin of error for placement on the pad for it to actually charge.

Reactions: preilly44
The RPM pad isn't wireless - it's got a puck that you stick behind it and put the pad over it. And that puck seems to be pretty small. Different phones have different heights and different locations for their wireless chargers. So I can see how this would not be too useful. Also, if you have a thick case, it might not charge well through that case (unless your case is a wireless charging case).

I realize it isn't a wireless charging mat but RPM gives you a mat that goes over the wireless charging pucks. I was trying to say that the RPM mat (which is thinner than the Tesla mat so it can charge better) doesn't keep the phone in place as well as the Tesla mat does.

I realize it isn't a wireless charging mat but RPM gives you a mat that goes over the wireless charging pucks. I was trying to say that the RPM mat (which is thinner than the Tesla mat so it can charge better) doesn't keep the phone in place as well as the Tesla mat does.
Sure. I was just trying to point out that the pad itself isn't where the wireless charge comes from, and that instead you get a very small puck that you have to figure out the best location to put it for your phone to charge. Especially a problem since phones have different "sweet spots" for charging. But yeah, I haven't actually tried the pads, so I didn't know how well the pads works for sliding.

Confirming 1.99A from the front ports with 2018.14.13 9e3b7ff (while charging an iPad). I used this same USB power meter previously and was seeing 1.4A, so this is new.

Attachments

• IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 149
Found this in their FAQ

What is the current input of the Jeda Wireless Pad for the model 3 ?
The Jeda Wireless Pad for the model 3 has been designed to work with the front dashboard USBs in the Model 3. While those USB ports will provide only a default 5W source of charge, the Wireless Pad is capable of outputting 15W and we’re working to make sure all capable phones can get all the power the pad can provide.

Current output 1 = 5v 1A
Current output 2 ( fast charge ) = 9v 1.65A

Technical slang aside, 5V 2A is the regular current of most phone charger manufacturers. The Jeda Wireless Pad will charge as fast of this kind of charger, which you are probably using.

I don't understand what current output 1 and 2 are referring to. Also, iPhones come with 1A chargers in the box, so this seems a bit misleading to say 5V 2A is what you'll be getting like "most manufacturers" give you.

Can someone interpret?

I don't understand what current output 1 and 2 are referring to. Also, iPhones come with 1A chargers in the box, so this seems a bit misleading to say 5V 2A is what you'll be getting like "most manufacturers" give you.

Can someone interpret?

As far as I understand the USB ports in the car are 'useless'. They claim much higher power for their product so I assume they are going into the 12 Volt system and get power from there.

The iPhone only comes with a 5 Volt 1 Amp charger but it is capable of charging much faster. Using an iPad charger you get a higher rate. Using a charger from the new MacBook the iPhone will charge even faster. Way to go Apple for making us pay $60 extra to get fast charging which comes with any Samsung for 4 years now. Anyways, wireless charging is a different animal, though. I haven't been able to do many tests yet. I'm using my old $10 charging pads and they work fine on with Samsung and iPhones. I don't care about charging speed with wireless much because I use those only over night. Wireless charging is always slower than a cable as it's less efficient.

I should mention that I tried putting a wireless pad in my car for convenience. It worked but it affected phone reception so I abandoned the idea.

FWIW -- I use an iPhone8 and have cheap 1A wireless charging pads everywhere. Because they are everywhere my phone is pretty much charged 100% most of the time. So I don't really need fast charging. If I really need to charge my phone fast, I just plug it in...

P.K.