Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A REAL wireless charging pad for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
* I use one of the USB ports below for my music stick. Does that mean that I can only charge one phone? Any way to have USB music, and charge two phones at a decent speed? I guess there's always the cigarette lighter plug...

* It gets awfully hot in the car. How do people feel about having the Nomad battery being exposed to those temperatures?

You would have to unplug one side of the Nomad to keep USB music going unfortunately.
Nomad tested to some extreme temperatures, it's one of the reasons I went with them of the other options. It's listed on their site what type of tests they do if you want more detail.

You would have to unplug one side of the Nomad to keep USB music going unfortunately.
Nomad tested to some extreme temperatures, it's one of the reasons I went with them of the other options. It's listed on their site what type of tests they do if you want more detail.

The Nomad website says it heat rated:
  • Rated to 65 °C (150 °F);)
But the inside of a car CAN get pretty hot!:eek:

I just ordered one today. Nomad is stating the end of October for delivery. They are still offering $20 off as early bird and then I got an additional discount code that popped up on the main page of the website for an additional 10% off bringing my total before shipping to $112

Received my Nomad yesterday and am very satisfied with it. Agree with all the previous comments. Very high quality build. Wish the cords were about an inch longer but I suppose they made them this way to prevent them from hanging down and potentially get tangled with things in the storage area. New iPhone XS Max fits fine although I suspect if it was fitted with a really bulky case it might not fit length-wise.

9C491420-3AC9-4C2C-80A0-F384085B5C2A.jpeg
F54A54C9-594F-42B0-91A3-AEB7E9B45560.jpeg F54A54C9-594F-42B0-91A3-AEB7E9B45560.jpeg 014747BD-8378-4320-B70B-953D8ECD1C9C.jpeg

Pictures, or it didn't happen! :)

No pictures unfortunately. Install was super easy, took maybe 5 minutes at most. The unit is nicely packaged in a sturdy black box that says "Nomad", I re-purposed the packaging to store the original Model 3 mat and cables.

I intentionally let my iPhone run down last night and then used the Nomad on my drive into work this morning. On my 25 minute drive my iPhone X went from about 50% charge to about 70% charge which is pretty good I'd say! The phone and charger were a little warm but nothing alarming. Nomad has built a lot of iPhone accessories so I have to trust them that they've done good level of testing on the batteries they are using.

As others mentioned the new charging base is thicker than the factory Tesla one, but there's still enough room to close the lid. Having the phone a centimeter or two higher up isn't bad since you can reach in and get it more easily. The Nomad is really grippy and on my drive it didn't move even a tiny bit even when I threw the car around a couple of corners to really try to shake it loose.

The charging lamps are nice too, they glow amber/orange when charging and go green if the phone is fully charged.

This is the solution that Tesla should have put into the Model 3 out of the gate, no question. I expect a refresh to the Model 3 that puts something similar in.

I don't have any experience with other charging solutions but it's hard to see how anyone could do it better than these Nomad guys are doing it... I would be especially leery of anyone who is doing this as their first rodeo.... Lithium Ion batteries need to be really tested thoroughly especially at higher temps for automotive use.

Last edited:
I really like the look of the Jeda. Waiting to hear back from them as to whether or not the phone will charge through a phone case (we both have thin ones on our phones). I gave them the case and phone info and they will respond tomorrow.

What are your impressions? Tesla Wireless Pad
I Have the Jeda and it charges fine though different style cases, not so thin cases as well

I really like the look of the Jeda. Waiting to hear back from them as to whether or not the phone will charge through a phone case (we both have thin ones on our phones). I gave them the case and phone info and they will respond tomorrow.

What are your impressions? Tesla Wireless Pad
My pad charged perfectly with the Olloclip slim case. I can't imagine most cases, outside of Otterbox (super thick), being an issue.

My only complaint with the jeda is the increased thickness of the pad without a built in lip, like the nomad, will let your phone slip into the storage well sometimes on hard acceleration. I read a rumor they are coming out with a v2 so maybe they are fixing this.