Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Recommendation For Those With (or thinking of buying) A Tesmanian (or other) Sun Shade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Just wanted to throw up a tip here.

The Tesmanian magnets that are included to prevent the center from sagging are, well, complete and utter useless garbage. They literally are not capable of holding on to each other in the slightest regard.

Like I'm not talking a bit weak, maybe if you put them in a better place they will hold better, I'm talking straight up throw them straight in the garbage bin. They won't stay attached to each other while sitting in the car, let alone when you hit a bump in the road.

I purchased this set of 6 neodymium magnets with included double sided tape from Amazon.
Link To Magnets

The beautiful thing about it is it provides you with 3 separate mounting spots, which in my experience does a lot better than 2 at removing the sag. 3 with double sided tape mounted on the roof, and 3 mounted under the shade to connect to them. The second benefit being that this double sided tape is MUCH easier to remove than the kind included with the Tesmanian version. Their double sided tape was so strong, that even after using a heat gun and a razor blade, I couldn't remove them easily. I didn't feel like putting much more effort into it considering the double sided tape section is a very thin flat piece of metal with the adhesive on the back, so simply adding the new double sided adhesive pads right on top of the metal was the easier option. In the winter I will put a bit more effort in and use some acetone with a blade to weaken the adhesive and a heat gun to properly get them off.

Anyways, yeah, these magnets are STRONG. They are not even comparable to the included Tesmanian ones, in fact you really should be cautious with them (as evidenced by several amazon reviewers who were injured while being careless with them).

They really do a fantastic job of holding up the shade, and another plus is I no longer get any shifting or noise from the shade with them installed.

The only "con" one might have is that they are silver. If this bothers you, simply use some sandpaper to create abrasion on the surface of the magnet, and spray paint it with a matte black paint. This is only necessary for one side of one of the magnets. It won't affect the integrity of the magnets in any way. I will be doing this personally once I have a little more time. A matte finish is probably best if you want them to blend, vs a gloss.

I'd also like to mention I purchased an additional set of 4 clips for the sun shade from Tesmanian, and I'm actually happy and pretty confident that they did add some additional support and rigidity to it.

Hopefully this helps anyone who has had issues with their Tesmanian (or other brand, as they're basically all the same stuff) sun shade sag that shipped with magnets so weak they can be pulled apart with a single flick of a finger.

Here are photos to show my setup:
IMG_8434.jpg