Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Redditer finally drives a P3D and is doing An AMA now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Acceleration:
Blown away. Acceleration is brutal, brutal - felt like I was gonna pass out on the one full stab from a standstill I did. Thankfully, being in the city, I let off as I zoomed past 45 MPH and blood returned to my head. The whole car felt amazing. I drive an F30 BMW MSport w/ H&R Sport Springs and the TM3 I drove handled at least as well, if not better -- but at much, much higher rates of acceleration.

I've driven many powerful cars, including lots of current gen BMW M3s and M4s, and have test driven the S P100D as well as the X S100D. While the following is 100% subjective, I'm not someone who's never been in a fast car before. With that said, I think it's within the realm of an X P100D in Ludicrous mode from a seat of the pants perspective, and feels way way faster than a BMW M3. The fact that it's not such a heavy car definitely imparts a very different feel to it's "fastness" than an X does.

Ride Comfort:
Very very good, was surprised given that it was on the 20" wheels. So surprised that I actually upgraded my car to the Performance Upgrade Package right after the test drive!

So my current car does ride what ppl who buy luxury cars might consider harsh (current gen BMW 3er tastefully lowered on H&R Sport springs). I personally don't find the ride harsh, I was just concerned that less sidewall on the 20s (vs the 18s on my BMW) would be a problem. After sampling it, my impression is that the TM3 w/ the 20s rides a no harsher than mine, which I have zero problem with -- it's more sporty than harsh. This was on Los Angeles streets, not the most horrible parts of town but far from perfect due to heavy construction in the Century City area.

So, if you're doing an article on acceleration, why don't you post Zero to sixty times? Telling us that it is "brutal" says absolutely nothing. Being "in the realm of" and X is quite a bit different from being "in the realm of" a Model S. And comparing it to a BMW-- Why? I have never driven a BMW, but I have driven an S, and X and a 3. I pass BMWs coming up the hill curves to my house. What your butt tells you about a P100D is also silly. Just a lot of drunk talk over a few beers after work. Why would anybody take your "report" seriously? I wouldn't. Sounds like you wrote it up five minutes to quitting time.

And then we get a reader who thinks this is "comprehensive" and "awesome"!! Which is the comprehensive part? Hey, my problem is that I own a 3. Oh, and an S, and my daughter has an X. Since I have to drive on normal roads, not a race track, I don't need "performance", either, though my Teslas will beat most anything (including Maseratis and Lamborghinis and Corvettes. The bright yellow Camaro wouldn't race me.)

Last edited:
So, if you're doing an article on acceleration, why don't you post Zero to sixty times? Telling us that it is "brutal" says absolutely nothing. Being "in the realm of" and X is quite a bit different from being "in the realm of" a Model S. And comparing it to a BMW-- Why? I have never driven a BMW, but I have driven an S, and X and a 3. I pass BMWs coming up the hill curves to my house. What your butt tells you about a P100D is also silly. Just a lot of drunk talk over a few beers after work. Why would anybody take your "report" seriously? I wouldn't. Sounds like you wrote it up five minutes to quitting time.

And then we get a reader who thinks this is "comprehensive" and "awesome"!! Which is the comprehensive part? Hey, my problem is that I own a 3. Oh, and an S, and my daughter has an X. Since I have to drive on normal roads, not a race track, I don't need "performance", either, though my Teslas will beat most anything (including Maseratis and Lamborghinis and Corvettes. The bright yellow Camaro wouldn't race me.)

Whoa buddy... did someone pee in your cheerios this morning?
First review by a regular joe and you want to get pissy because he didn't have a full suite of test equipment and hours to properly test and report back?

Yikes! Roblab, breathe dude. Calm blue ocean. CALM BLUE OCEAN!

Just to be clear, I did NOT test drive the P3D. I linked to an AMA from u/mastre over from Reddit, then posted his highlights he shared here for those that don’t have the app or didn’t want to leave this site. I think he did a fantastic job with his write up! Much more insightful than even WSJ did.

Bottom line, he was blown away with the P3D and he’s been in some pretty fast cars. I thought it was interesting he was so impressed with the ride on the 20” rims and suspension that he upgraded after the test drive.

I would update prior posts to help clear that up, but there is apparently a 60 minute time limit on editing prior posts.

Last edited:
The bright yellow Camaro wouldn't race me.
Probably because it was:

220px-BumblebeeHIRES.jpg