Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A road trip/range test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Road tripping in my LFP TM3. (Feb 25 2023)
My wife and I needed to do a grocery run and we combined it with a drive through Columbus NM. We drove from our home to Hwy 80 and thence to Hwy 9 and Columbus NM, where we turned north to arrive in Deming. After dinner we shopped at the local giant retail outlet. We had then driven 133 miles (214km) at an average 60 mph (98kmh) and our car reported exactly 50% battery charge remaining. We were actually parked right beside an EV charging station in the parking lot, but I would have had to interrupt my shopping to unplug the car, if we charged there. After loading the groceries in the car, we decided to drive to the Electrify America (EA) charging station in Lordsburg NM, via a 63 (101km) mile drive on the I-10 at an average 82mph (133kmh), on our route home. Upon arriving at the EA station, the car reported 17% battery charge remaining, after 193 miles (311km) of driving and the temperature was in the mid 40s F. To charge at an EA station, you typically use an EA cellphone app: You plug the car in via the CCS1 adapter, tell the app which charging stall you're connected to and swipe the charge bar in the app. The app verifies your account and then starts the charge and charges the session to the credit card you have on file. We charged for exactly 13 minutes (with a slightly cold HV battery), adding 21kwh of power, and went from 17% charge to 51% at a cost of $6.20usd. We then proceeded to get back on the I-10 and took the off-ramp to Hwy 338 and back to Portal AZ, after another 52 miles (84km) drive. We arrived home with 32% charge remaining. I then plugged the car into our garage's 240V (NEMA 6-20) outlet where it fully charged overnight. The total charging cost of the trip, including power consumed charging at home was about $12usd.