Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. . . actually we plan to DRIVE from Phoenix to the Quartzsite SuperCharger at Carl's Jr and hope to meet at 9:30 a.m. at the Costco at 10000 W. McDowell Road in Avondale. Let's connect at the NorthEast corner of the Costco lot, get some pix, and depart about 9:45.
SC-Q.jpg

A few facts:

When: Saturday, January 4
Distance from Phoenix Sky Harbor to Quartzsite: 134 miles
Distance from Costco-Avondale to Quartzsite: 111 miles
Route: West on I-10
Average January High Temp in Quartzsite: 65 degrees
Town Slogan: "RV Boondocking Capital of the World," but is also "Where the Sun Goes to Play."
How Quartzsite Got it's Name: Lots of quartz around & a spelling error that got repeated
Dining Establishments: Carl's Jr (duh!), Burger King (just next door), Silly Al's Pizza, Taco Mio, Mountain Quail Cafe and LOTS of fry bread at the gem & minerals shows.
What to Do & See: We can joke about Quartzsite as just a wide spot on the road to California, but the Gemstone, Mineral, and Rock shows are amazing! During our visit, two shows will be running and are worth seeing even if you thought you had no interest in rocks. There is also the Hi Jolly Monument, petroglyphs, palm canyon, the site where Patton's troops trained during WWII, a naked bookstore owner, and the world largest RV parking lot.
q-partingLot.jpg
hiJolly.jpg
gem.jpg

Quartzsite, AZ RV ATV Park, Show Listing
Rock Gem Show Jan 3th-12th, 2014
Sites to See
Flat Tire Kit: I will have one - I pray it never gets used!

Call or PM if you have any questions. Hope to see many of you again. Mark 6o2-98O-1875 cell.

Last edited:
Loop through Wickenburg!

Well now! We just might have to brush off the Welcome mat for the whole troop for either the outbound or inbound loop! Sean came through Wickenburg on the way out to the Quartzsite SpC dedication; to swing through our home specifically is barely out of the way and makes for a nice diversion from a straight out-and-back-on-the-same-route.

New Year's Cheers!

Xmas2013.jpg

Audie, Jenny, Aurora and Borealis

There's time yet to tweak this idea, but for the moment I think what may be best is that we would probably join in on the run to Q'site, and then discuss with everyone there how to meet up in W'burg on the run back. I'm not hugely keen on posting our exact location on open forum......

Am having a bit of trouble loading for here the google map you'll want to look at. If you want to come through Wickenburg after the Quartzsite run, however, it is 145 miles from the SpC back to the I-17/Carefree Hwy intersection, and that is via

I-10, 11 miles to Exit 31 to
Rte 60, 55 miles to just after Aguila to
Rte 71, 17 miles to the Kingman-Wickenburg run, aka
Rte 93, and 93-60, about 26 miles to
the Carefree Hwy. Heading back that way makes it extremely easy for the group to stop off at our AZ home. Getting to our AK home requires an additional 3,550 miles....

Sounds great! I've put it on my calendar and will plan to join. Adding Wickenburg would be fun too, or we can just play that by ear. I'm in N. Scottsdale like a few others, if anyone wants to meetup and head to Avondale together. I propose Paradise Bakery on Mayo/Scottsdale Rd, folks can get a quick breakfast/coffee if interested, and plan to head out of there around 8:45am (Avondale is about 35 miles). Open to other suggestions that may be more convenient for people. Thanks for organizing!!

UPDATE: Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it afterall. But looking forward to the next one!!! Drive safe and have fun!

Last edited:
Well now! We just might have to brush off the Welcome mat for the whole troop for either the outbound or inbound loop! Sean came through Wickenburg on the way out to the Quartzsite SpC dedication; to swing through our home specifically is barely out of the way and makes for a nice diversion from a straight out-and-back-on-the-same-route.

New Year's Cheers!

View attachment 37960
Audie, Jenny, Aurora and Borealis

Count me in, especially if I get to meet those two gorgeous pups in the frunk!!

Update: I'm unfortunately not going to be able to make the trip afterall. But looking forward to the next one!!! And tell the Pups I said Happy New Year!

Last edited:
What time are you planning to get to Quartzsite? From your meeting time in the Phoenix area I'm guessing around noon.

If we come, it'll be from Desert Hot Springs, and we'll want to know a good departure time.
Anyone else in the Palm Springs area thinking about going?
I think that we're apt to be at Carls Jr between 11:30 & 12:00, get some electrons, maybe a burger, and figure out what the group wants to do. Hope you'll join us. Mark

Two items:

#1. From the Palm Springs area to Quartzsite is about 130 miles, so we hope all in that neighborhood give a thought to joining us at the SpC on the 4th.

#2. This is not to hold anybody to a firm yea/nay commitment, but it would be a great help if Jenny and I could get a sense of how many vehicles + bodies may be coming through and joining us in Wickenburg afterwards. MarkR suggests a 3pm DEPARTURE FROM Q'SITE would be about right. We plan to be at the SpC along with the rest of you, so we'll not have anything elaborate at the house - I hope beer&brats doesn't sound too heavy after the long holiday feasting (more likely: those great Chicago hot dogs they sell at AJ's, to which J&I both are addicted...).

For planning purposes, tt's 96 miles from Quartzsite to here, and it's 48 miles from here to the Carefree Hwy/I-17 intersection.

I'm late to the party, but I'm game for the road trip on Saturday.

I had to have my high voltage battery replaced because of faulty connectors (my 12 volt battery died 3 different times). They put in an 85 kWh pack in instead of my purchased 60 kWh. They made a mistake, and told me to keep it until the car needs service again....which probably means Q4 2014!

I'm late to the party, but I'm game for the road trip on Saturday.

I had to have my high voltage battery replaced because of faulty connectors (my 12 volt battery died 3 different times). They put in an 85 kWh pack in instead of my purchased 60 kWh. They made a mistake, and told me to keep it until the car needs service again....which probably means Q4 2014!

What?!? Really??

I'll meet you all at Costco for a send-off, but I won't be making the Quartzite run -- been there twice already. You will enjoy though!!