Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sad cautionary tale of poor judgement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, i just read through this whole thread. I'm glad things have worked out ok for OP. I think the P85D is an easier car to "show off" without having to let anyone drive, because you just have to launch it for them and they are quite impressed. Also, the passenger feels the launch much more than the driver.

Also just read, first time. The request to turn traction control off stood out, to me. That red flag showed his intentions during the ride. In my judgement (not that it matters), your declining to turn it off is tantamount to "don't mess with sliding my car around". That said, leaving it on, sadly, makes sliding just about any car around even harder. I bet he knew this, but didn't care. I've borrowed other peoples track cars and gone out with the unwritten rule of making them whole, should I wreck. It goes with the territory of having the wisdom to explore turning things, like TC, off. That he knew to ask, makes him more responsible.

I encourage you to say what you have to, to represent yourself, and am glad some of this seems to be working itself out.

In what I expect should be the closing material update to this long sordid thread, the court case against the driver went to an appearance in the county court, and almost went to state court before being settled.

I spoke with an attorney before hand and was counseled that there was minimal risk to me and that I wouldn't need representation when I testify. Tort liability was almost non-existent since I was the only injured party, and New Hampshire doesn't have any case history for criminal negligent entrustment.

I met with the prosecution about an hour before the appointed time and shared all the details of the event. Prosecution was not aware that I had been injured in the accident, which gave them the option of raising the charges to a more serious offense. He used this point to attempt to plea bargain with the driver again, but the driver still refused to take a plea, so the prosecution decided to kick it up to the state court instead.

I was asked to provide a written statement to the prosecution along with any photos of the damage. I did so, and the state's victim counsel contacted me with a few updates as the case progressed. The most important question from them was whether I wanted to go after him for any of my medical costs. After a bit of consideration, I decided not to. My out of pocket expenses were mostly just therapy co-pays and a couple of deductibles, and I didn't want to get more involved than I already was.

Eventually, the state prosecutors contacted me again and told me that he had changed his mind and was willing to take the original plea bargain rather than having to go to the state court date. They asked if I was okay with that and I told them I was.

Several weeks later, I received a letter from the state indicating the proceedings were closed and providing a copy of the final sentencing. I never had to actually step into a courtroom and provide any testimony under oath.

Several weeks later, I received a letter from the state indicating the proceedings were closed and providing a copy of the final sentencing.

Which was? I assume it's a matter of public record anyway.

I never let anyone drive my cars but I didn't flesh out the full set of ramifications if something goes wrong, i.e. basically you end up suing your friends through your insurance and/or testifying against them. This would be a good cautionary tale anytime people ask. (and that will happen many times in the next 2 weeks)

That is what the police decided. He did not seem impaired when I was speaking with him before the drive, and he said he had not had anything to drink when I asked him before letting him drive (a standard question I always asked anyone).
Not uncommon in a case like this for the police to require a blood test or similar after a collision, it's possible something (alcohol, or drugs) was found that would not have been immediately obvious to you as an untrained observer.
The other possibility is that it was a plea to avoid a more serious charge, sometimes those aren't 100% accurate, but fit the gist of the incident.

That is what the police decided. He did not seem impaired when I was speaking with him before the drive, and he said he had not had anything to drink when I asked him before letting him drive (a standard question I always asked anyone).

Not uncommon in a case like this for the police to require a blood test or similar after a collision, it's possible something (alcohol, or drugs) was found that would not have been immediately obvious to you as an untrained observer.
The other possibility is that it was a plea to avoid a more serious charge, sometimes those aren't 100% accurate, but fit the gist of the incident.

It may be they are basically saying he is impaired vs being able to drive a supercar. :)

As in maybe he wasn't DUI for hopping in a ford superduty but he wasn't competent to drive a Tesla.

Seriously, thank you for the update. I assume one way or another you were paid out for the car and I hope you are back in a Model S having a good time driving! I will have you know that your story is partly why I have refused to even let my friends drive my car. There is only a couple people I would consider letting drive it, and that is because they already own high-performance vehicles and know how to handle them, that, and they wouldn't be reckless in my vehicle. But they have never really asked and I have never really offered.