Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sad tale of how not to sell cars (???)...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cardriver: Did you ask to speak with the store manager? Maybe just explain your situation and tell them you know test drives are typically reserved for reservation holders but you are serious about the Model S and your wife doesn't want to put down the deposit until after a test drive. Might be worth a try. Good luck.

^^ This is great advice. Also, you and your wife should know that this car is a DREAM to drive. Don't let one bad/strange experience get in your way of having this car. I know that Tesla needs to figure out how to get people behind the wheel of this thing but, frankly, if you go with anything else it'll be your loss. It's THAT good a car.

There has to be a way to limit those who want to test drive for the fun of it and have no real interest in buying. Can you imagine how many folks would line up for a test drive even if the could never afford one? I agree that once a reservation is made, a test drive should be available quickly (within a week).

Yes and no. There's this, but I also remember myself almost two years ago in Santana Row, asking to test drive a Roadster while being interested in the S. They explained in a long-winded way that they were very different cars, but I said I just wanted to drive something electric and that I wanted to see what the company could do before putting down my deposit. And they were very accommodating about letting me drive the Roadster although I had already told them I wasn't going to buy it. Well, shortly after I reserved an S, and a month ago I bought a fairly loaded car. If they had denied me the Roadster test drive back then I don't know if I would have made the reservation, at least not then.

The same story could apply for someone today with thoughts on GenIII. First impressions last. Just food for thought...

It looks like that 'test car' sits in the Fashion Island parking garage - it was a busy weekend, and didn't look like there was a line to use it - and it had like 200 miles left (I agree - that part is silly).

I'm assuming it was the same Blue/Tan car I was able to drive in December? Their retail/test drive set up is also a challenge because of the distance between the stores and parking garages in many of the locations. Test drives pull the employee out of the store for quite a while, which leaves them potentially short-staffed to answer walk-in questions if it gets busy. Perhaps having dedicated store employees and dedicated test drive employees would be more efficient, at least on the weekends and at these shopping mall locations during busier times. It'd free them up for more flexibility in their test drive scheduling. I don't object to the reservation system for test drives, but those without deposits should be able to get a slot within a day or two at most.

Beyond that, it's very hard to filter those without deposits down to determine who is 'serious' or an 'enthusiast' for without illegally discriminating. Think of it like an open house on your home...how do you decide if someone is a qualified buyer or a nosy neighbor before they walk through the door? You can't run their credit or check criminal records on the porch, which is why I don't like open houses and work almost solely on private showings in real estate. Even then, we don't ask people to put up a refundable deposit before they spend 30-60 minutes looking through a house they might buy, even if it costs 20x the price of a Model S. Perhaps some proof of funds or pre-approval letter before a showing on something very expensive or celebrity-owned to weed out the curious/unqualified, but never a deposit! I'm sure Tesla will figure all of this out as time goes on.

I'm with Tesla on this one. No reservation -- you don't deserve a test drive. this is a premium product. most of us bought this car before we ever drove it. Tesla doesn't need to beg for sales.

act as if.

Ummmm .... I don't think Tesla looks at this as who deserves or doesn't deserve a test drive. They use reservation status in determining priority, that's all. I'm sure they'd like to give everyone a test drive, if current logistics allowed.

I had a much better experience and scheduled a week-day test drive at the Santana Row showroom in San Jose prior to making a reservation (although I did make the reservation immediately after the test drive). Maybe the difference was that I originally contacted them through the web site and the initial response had been very carefully written. Or maybe I just dealt with a more skilled salesperson.

The gist of the initial email was that the test cars were in really short supply and existing reservation holders would get priority, but if you were just a test drive away from making a reservation then they would try and squeeze you in. This seemed totally reasonable to me and I was able to convince them that I was definitely willing to put down the $5,000 deposit if I liked the car after a test drive. They said the weekend slots were booked up for quite a while, but that a weekday slot was open a few days later so I signed up and snuck out of work a bit early that day.

The test drive was also more involved than a test drive at a normal car dealership. The saleswoman, Sylvia, was great. She answered all of our questions, gave a thorough explanation of the nav system, air suspension, regen, customizable screens on the display in front of the driver, etc., and then let both my wife and I drive both in town and on the freeway. Afterwards, she walked us through all the options, helped us through the reservation, took our picture holding the slightly goofy reservation sign, and emailed us the photo. All told, she spent a solid hour with us. So I think part of the long wait time for a test drive is that they want to take their time explaining all the features of the car rather than get people in and out as quickly as possible.

I diasagree with only being able to test drive the car if one puts down a deposit, and that you don't deserve a test drive if you have not put down a deposit. I can not tell you how many times I receive offers from Porsche, Caddy, MB and Lexus to perform extended (i.e., 2 to 3 day) test drives of their vehicles with no deposit and nothing more than providing a copy of my driver's license. No salesman accompanying me on the extended test drives. In fact, Porsche is even so nice as to bring the car to my office or home, so I do not have to go to the showroom.

Having said that, I should note that I have reservations on two Model S's, and have taken several test drives of the car. All I have done is call the DC store and schedule a day and time. However, a salesperson allways accompanies me on the test drive and I had to sign a release one time. I should also note that I test drove the Roadstor about 2 years ago; I really was not interested in the car but Tesla insisted that I try it and brought it to my law firm to spend several hours driving. A salesperson accompanied me but I never signed any release form (I was asked to sign a release form the second or third time I test drove the Model S). And in case anyone wonders why so many test drives of the Model S, they were to help me decide between the regular model and the performance model.

The DC store is accommodating. If it is Tesla's policy to limit test drives to those with reservations (and I am not sure that this is the case), the policy should be changed. People do stop in car stores to look and drive cars without necessarly buying at that moment, but intending to narrow down their choices. People want instant gratification. If one can not drive the car, Tesla runs the risk of losing sales. And that does not bode well for all us early adopters.

The Model S sells itself. All you have to do is drive it. I feel certain that if this IS policy Tesla will rethink it maybe even before they catch up on production. I'm getting the car. I would gladly give up any future test drive so they could sell another one.

Hmm...I'm expecting mine in Feb/March, 85, non-performance, air, pano, etc. I live in the Bay area and been to Santa Row store multiple times, but I have not had the time to test drive yet. This store is fairly busy on weekends, but during the week, they have lots of slots open. When I called, they had lots of test drive slots open during the week day.

As long as they have slots open, they should allow non-reservation holders to test drive on first come first serve basis--in my opinion.

Hmm...I'm expecting mine in Feb/March, 85, non-performance, air, pano, etc. I live in the Bay area and been to Santa Row store multiple times, but I have not had the time to test drive yet. This store is fairly busy on weekends, but during the week, they have lots of slots open. When I called, they had lots of test drive slots open during the week day.

As long as they have slots open, they should allow non-reservation holders to test drive on first come first serve basis--in my opinion.

Santana Row is one of the places that's good about letting you test drive. I stopped by on my way to work after reading a review of the Model S, and they let me take an immediate test drive because the car wasn't currently in use. Menlo Park seemed a bit stuffier.

I diasagree with only being able to test drive the car if one puts down a deposit, and that you don't deserve a test drive if you have not put down a deposit. I can not tell you how many times I receive offers from Porsche, Caddy, MB and Lexus to perform extended (i.e., 2 to 3 day) test drives of their vehicles with no deposit and nothing more than providing a copy of my driver's license. No salesman accompanying me on the extended test drives. In fact, Porsche is even so nice as to bring the car to my office or home, so I do not have to go to the showroom.

Having said that, I should note that I have reservations on two Model S's, and have taken several test drives of the car. All I have done is call the DC store and schedule a day and time. However, a salesperson allways accompanies me on the test drive and I had to sign a release one time. I should also note that I test drove the Roadstor about 2 years ago; I really was not interested in the car but Tesla insisted that I try it and brought it to my law firm to spend several hours driving. A salesperson accompanied me but I never signed any release form (I was asked to sign a release form the second or third time I test drove the Model S). And in case anyone wonders why so many test drives of the Model S, they were to help me decide between the regular model and the performance model.

The DC store is accommodating. If it is Tesla's policy to limit test drives to those with reservations (and I am not sure that this is the case), the policy should be changed. People do stop in car stores to look and drive cars without necessarly buying at that moment, but intending to narrow down their choices. People want instant gratification. If one can not drive the car, Tesla runs the risk of losing sales. And that does not bode well for all us early adopters.

I agree with swegman (an I don't often agree with lawyers), but many people are not adventurous early adopters, they want to know what they are buying, and, this is understandable, especially at this price. I doubt that I would have reserved without a drive, had there been demos available when I did so. I think that this is just another example of TM not having figured out the logistics yet. I know delivery numbers are very important to the finance side, but, TM, remember, in the long term, so are sales. Invest a few cars and sell a lot. I for one want you to do so that you will be there for me when I need service and when I want my next cars.

Not to say that they are the same but you don't get to test drive a new Ferrari at all (to correct an earlier post).

There are certain Ferrari customers who do get test drives. With Ferrari, the issue is whether they will let you buy the car, even if you have the money. When a new, highly anticipated model is released, there is a long standing pecking order in the U.S., with priority given to customers who have purchased multiple Ferraris over a period of years.

Santana Row is one of the places that's good about letting you test drive. I stopped by on my way to work after reading a review of the Model S, and they let me take an immediate test drive because the car wasn't currently in use. Menlo Park seemed a bit stuffier.

I was in the Menlo Park store in mid-December and asked for a test drive. I was told only reservation holders are allowed test drives, and that there is a two-month waiting list.

What if Tesla had inventory on-hand that could be purchased on-the-spot. Let's just say ~10 cars/week off the production line initially. Buyers would have to pay a premium for these cars; the market will dictate the price, but it's probably around $20K in the US right now. If a reservation holder wants to buy it, they can; maybe they get first dibs.

OR

Suppose a walk-in customer is ready to buy a certain configuration. (This assumes they allow a test drive!) Tesla identifies matching cars coming off the production line and asks the reservation holder if they would accept some amount of money in exchange for being "bumped". Reservation holders with configurations could have already specified, in their accounts, the "bump me" price (kind of like Zillow's "make me move" price), so Tesla would just accept your offer automatically if there's another party wiling to buy your car. Win-win-win situation?

I had a similar experience. In October, I stopped by the store and unknowingly talked to the assistant manager. We chatted about several things: range anxiety, superchargers, and how wide the car was. She gave me her card and said to email her for a test drive. Got a test drive the next weekend and that sealed the deal.

In Chi-town (Oak Brook / Old Orchard), if nobody is currently using the car (basically during weekdays), then they will give you a test drive. Doesn't matter if you have a reservation or not. If it is a busier time (weekends), then priority goes to reservation holders. I stopped by the charging station by one of the stores during a weekday (holiday season) and they were giving test rides to non-reservation holders. So it's really just supply and demand from a timing and test mule availability standpoint.

Side note - if anyone wants to test drive a Model S and you're in the Chi-town area, just PM me and I'll do my best to oblige (with my Model S). However, it might cost you a minor gratuity (I-talian beef sandwhich comes to mind!)

If they had denied me the Roadster test drive back then I don't know if I would have made the reservation, at least not then.

The same story could apply for someone today with thoughts on GenIII. First impressions last. Just food for thought...

I was at a party the other day where people were talking about Model S and I told them I'm a reservation holder. The host asked if I could arrange a test drive for him, which I was able to do. Santana Row store scheduled a test drive for him in the late hours a couple of days later. This was mid December.

He didn't have a reservation, nor the urge to get one--he just wanted to experience it. After the test drive, he told the co-pilot that the car was too big for him, that he likes mid-size cars better. I could tell she was a little surprised. But first impressions definitely last--I have no doubt my friend will be among the first to put money down for a Gen III.

I was in the Menlo Park store in mid-December and asked for a test drive. I was told only reservation holders are allowed test drives, and that there is a two-month waiting list.

What if Tesla had inventory on-hand that could be purchased on-the-spot. Let's just say ~10 cars/week off the production line initially. Buyers would have to pay a premium for these cars; the market will dictate the price, but it's probably around $20K in the US right now. If a reservation holder wants to buy it, they can; maybe they get first dibs.

OR

Suppose a walk-in customer is ready to buy a certain configuration. (This assumes they allow a test drive!) Tesla identifies matching cars coming off the production line and asks the reservation holder if they would accept some amount of money in exchange for being "bumped". Reservation holders with configurations could have already specified, in their accounts, the "bump me" price (kind of like Zillow's "make me move" price), so Tesla would just accept your offer automatically if there's another party wiling to buy your car. Win-win-win situation?

Short-term win, long-term lose. The revolutionary and nice part about Tesla is the simplicity. Everybody knows how much the car is, no negotiation, no hassles, no guesswork. Even the demo Roadster cars were simple (deduct $1/mile from list price).

I think this is all very refreshing for the car industry. What you suggest would throw it all out the window. Sorry to come down on an idea, but this would come back and bite them.

Last edited:
I find it strange that you got a ride in the car but couldn't have a test drive for two months...especially for clearly serious shoppers. Perhaps it depends some on where you are. I actually got two test drives (a fluke, but nice). After I made my reservation, the store gave me an appointment for a test drive the next week.

In the meantime I realized I was going to be near another store in a day. I gave them a call, explained I was a reservation holder and wondered if there was an opening for a test drive. There was and I drove. (I didn't cancel my original test drive appointment :>)

I have only great things to say about the tests. The routes showed the car off in all situations and I was allowed to play with all the controls (plug in my music with USB to test sound system, etc.)

It is too bad that the very way the car is sold at least in some locations, results in a no sale.