Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sales path for X -> Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love our X, but it is a bit more vehicle than we need. The Y will be a good option right around the time our X turns 5, but I'm concerned about it being a downgrade on creature comforts.

The first look last night suggested the Y will be on the same spartan trim level as the 3. Is there any word about premium (non-performance) features like air suspension, cold weather package, and power doors?

No word, and any would be speculation...so let's begin

Air suspension--I see this as a definite possibility, either as an option or included with AWD.
Cold Weather Package--Already has heated seats (don't know about rear row), so you're just asking about the addition of a heated steering wheel. I'd give this a maybe. An optional battery warmer would be another thing that wouldn't surprise me, though unlikely.
Power doors--no way. Those are definitely a Model X luxury.

Whether they add these features will depend on how competitive the car is in 20 months vs their manufacturing capability.

Add all the features to the Y and you get an X. Part of some people's allure to the Model 3 is the spartan interior.

I don't think that you'll see it. Many of those decisions was deliberate, to get the price down to another neighborhood.

Went to the event. Very interested in the Y but mixed feelings.

Pro:
300 mile range. Hope it’s closer to the 3s predicted range and not the X’s fantasy range.
7 seater even if its snug.
Not clear if anybody confirmed it’s a hatchback but I’m assuming it is.
Still hopeful it has a tow package.

Cons:
Looks - disappointed. Maybe asking too much but I really liked the 3. Was hoping for another Franz masterpiece and not a stretched out 3. Totally subjective.
Also was hoping for less of a hatch slope to increase the useful cargo area. I think this affects range/aerodynamics though so guess you can’t have it all.

I’m thinking a used X > Y at this point. Depreciation has really lowered the entry point.

There definitely won’t be power doors as the entire design is based on re-using 70% of the 3’s components. The 3’s doors are a key part of that - though at least the Y ditches the chrome look we’ve all got!

Cold weather wasn’t mentioned, but it’s on the order page for heated front seats, rear seats, and mirrors.I was also hoping for air suspension, but it’s not mentioned and (again) since it’s based on the 3 I think very unlikely. No Christmas light show of course. :)

So I don’t think a good replacement for our X. I love gadgets...and the X is nothing if not the best gadget out there.