Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A "scary" trip from Davis CA to Los Angeles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, probably not. My Wh/mile so far gives me about 2/3rds rated range. Or, stated another way, increase actual distance by 50% to get the range I'd need. So 270 * 1.5 = 405. I'd only have 265+108 = 372. I won't make it :(. I also wanted to drive to places nearby as we sight see, maybe 50 miles of driving.

Your conditions may be different (for example due to elevation changes), but others are getting 200 miles at *70 mph* with outside temperatures at 50 degrees and range heating to (I think) above 70 degrees.

200 miles is about 75% of 265, so at that rate, you'd need 360. Which means with 372, you'd have a very small buffer, but driving at 65 mph should give you an additional 25 miles buffer, so a total surplus of 37 miles range. If I got these numbers right.

What Tesla is not telling owners is, don't stretch the range! Given that Tesla is not telling owners this (in their defense, no other automaker does either), I am trying to get the word out so people don't encounter close calls like you did. That's how my trip to Davis was so comfortable. I never plan any trip over 177 miles without charging, you can see how I chose that number HERE.

Chad, that is great advice! Thanks for continuing to promote safe and sane road tripping. It will save Model S owners from disappointment - or worse.

ChadS makes a great point. But further, there's no rule that you can only charge at Superchargers. The route from Harris Ranch to Davis passes very close to charging stations in Volta, Patterson, Stockton, and Sacramento. If you were running a bit tight, you could have spent an hour charging, getting 20-30 extra miles of range.

I figure the time I spend charging occasionally on the road is offset by the time I don't spend driving to gas stations.

Having put >2K miles on my S, as expected, I've found that the S is a great day-tripping car if you're within its range envelope or right on the edge and there's convenient charging available. The S can be used as a road-tripping car but you've got to be really careful with it.

The things I think need to be kept in mind when planning trips with the S:

1) cold really makes a difference and the major drivers are battery pack heating (keeping itself warm) and defroster if you have to use it. I see 370+ watts / mile if it's cold -- like 40 degrees cold -- at highway speeds. Worse if I have to run the defroster to any reasonable degree. Whereas I see 335 watts / mile or better in the middle of the day (50-60 degrees) when the battery pack is warmer.

2) air resistance makes a big difference which means high speeds really cuts into your range. Driving in fairly heavy traffic helps a lot. Driving fast mostly solo in cold weather (thicker air) really sucks.

3) be conservative until you really understand the range you'll get on your trip. When you push the range on an S and you screw up, the penalties are much much higher than an ICE car. It's usually not that hard to find a gas station and the time to fill up is a few minutes. Chargers are scarcer and the time required to recharge is much higher. So until you get a good feel for the car, trip (terrain, weather, etc.) and your driving, be conservative in planning and/or driving.

Then maybe Elon should throttle back the hype, since he is setting the expectations:

"300 mile battery"
"Add 150 miles of range in 30 minutes"
"Not just the best EV, the best car"

+1

EV Range is like stereo amplifier power ratings in the 1970s where they used instantaneous peak to peak ratings instead of steady state RMS. We're all better off that manufacturers don't rate amps like that anymore.

Your conditions may be different (for example due to elevation changes), but others are getting 200 miles at *70 mph* with outside temperatures at 50 degrees and range heating to (I think) above 70 degrees.
Yea, I've got some significant mountains to cross in the form of the Oregon Coast range. The biggest problem is Hwy 101 in Oregon has large gaps in EV charging coverage and the chargers that exist aren't quite within walking distance of where I want to go (specifically, Lincoln City's outlet mall doesn't have any). My destination is smack in the middle of a gap. We'll probably end up taking my wife's ICE for the trip.

...I never plan any trip over 177 miles without charging; you can see how I chose that number HERE. It means that I can drive at the speed I want, and use climate control all I want, and never have to worry about making it to my destination.

^This

Every comment, every scenario, every bit of advice, every calculation.. toss it all. If you bought an 85kWh battery; 177 miles is your real range… don't sweat it, don't complain, it is what it is; plan for it, enjoy your car, enjoy your life.

^This

Every comment, every scenario, every bit of advice, every calculation.. toss it all. If you bought an 85kWh battery; 177 miles is your real range… don't sweat it, don't complain, it is what it is; plan for it, enjoy your car, enjoy your life.

I think this is a great guideline, and if you wish to extend beyond the "don't think about it all range", you can do so with some minor planning.

I lived this way with my Roadster for four years, and it was not a problem at all.

. As a fellow owner told me of his successful SF-LA round trip, "it was interesting, but I probably won't do it again".

My experience was quite the opposite, I'd do SF-LA (OC, in my case) again, any time. I did nearly 400 miles, my first day picking up from Fremont and driving down to Orange County. I had a another Blue Model S tagging along on his way to San Diego.

As the OP found out, speed eats KW as does the HVAC. There's a definite mindset change about economizing to maximize the range. On short trips, drive like you stole it, but don't expect 300 miles at 70mph.

If anything the watt/mi charts are what the DS needs to explain to customers. It makes sense once you understand the principles and strategies to maximize range when you need to.

The other day I was driving all around LA and the Hawthorne supercharger was out of order :eek:, I ended up on a chargepoint for few hours but left with exactly the miles I needed to get home. Since traffic was getting bad, I was getting 225w/mi for nearly 40 miles. I arrived home with more than 20 miles to spare. I had the heat seaters on 1, radio was on, tried to keep the car constantly moving slowly versus complete stop and go. Even though it was slow I didn't dare get off the freeway and move onto city streets. I get far worse mileage on the streets than I do coasting on the freeway.

The other day I was driving all around LA and the Hawthorne supercharger was out of order :eek:, I ended up on a chargepoint for few hours but left with exactly the miles I needed to get home. Since traffic was getting bad, I was getting 225w/mi for nearly 40 miles. I arrived home with more than 20 miles to spare. I had the heat seaters on 1, radio was on, tried to keep the car constantly moving slowly versus complete stop and go. Even though it was slow I didn't dare get off the freeway and move onto city streets. I get far worse mileage on the streets than I do coasting on the freeway.

Off-topic comment... We really need an app or website where we can look up a supercharger's current status - operational, non-operational, occupied (bonus points for estimate until done), etc...

Definitely need Supercharger status in the Tesla App. It was fine since I had plenty of options within LA. However, arrive in Harris Ranch with 12 miles left, you'd better hope it's working. If it's not, I hope you brought your UMC charger and your toothbrush.

I figure the time I spend charging occasionally on the road is offset by the time I don't spend driving to gas stations.

Nitpick: How so? 10 minutes In a gas station once per week vs how many hours at chargers over the course of a week?

-------

Heh, based on that graph earlier, I thought I could realistically make it to ny and back if I drove around 70ish. Turns out even at that speed I needed to charge for quite a while to make it back. Granted, it's in the 40's, but still.

Anywho, I agree with another poster above re: setting expectations. The reality of owning an S, for me at least, has not lived up to the hype. It's a fine car to be sure, but its definitely not hitting all the lofty goals elon has touted.

What is CC? I feel ignorant...

On Dec 27th I drove from Napa to Harris Ranch (209 miles) starting with a "range" charge of 269 miles rated. I drove consistently at 5 mph under the speed limit and made it with 45 miles to spare. I found no problem doing 65 on I-5 as the trucks are theoretically limited at 55mph. My biggest concern was Alta Mont pass, but the up was pretty much paid for with the down. And I used the "Range" setting for the cabin. Also, used CC 99% of the time. That really helped.

Don't forget about charging in RV parks

Yea, I've got some significant mountains to cross in the form of the Oregon Coast range. The biggest problem is Hwy 101 in Oregon has large gaps in EV charging coverage and the chargers that exist aren't quite within walking distance of where I want to go (specifically, Lincoln City's outlet mall doesn't have any). My destination is smack in the middle of a gap. We'll probably end up taking my wife's ICE for the trip.

Even if there are no standard j1772 EV charging stations where you are driving, there are perhaps some RV parks. You can charge on a nema 14-50 at the vast majority of RV parks and gain 25+ miles of range per hour. RV parks are kind of the "secret" charging possibility. If there aren't any rv parks, then I give up :)

Two things I'd like to add from my own personal experience:

1) I recently took a "trip" to test the Model S range and get a feel for driving long distances in an EV. Because I was driving in an area with lots of level 2 stations and fully expected I would make the trip with no problem, I only charged in standard mode. I left with 238 indicated miles, drove 103 miles, stopped for lunch for 50 minutes (approx. 15 miles of charge accumulated), then drove 103 miles back (I had some errands to run on the way home, so my return milage was actually a bit higher, but I forgot to note the actual milage traveled). At any rate, I drove around 206 (probably closer to 210) miles with no issue driving between 65 and 75 mph (as speed limits and traffic allowed), in temperatures varying between 42 deg F and 50 deg F. I drove comfortably in the cabin, as I would with an ICE (well, not quite. I find the seat heaters in the Tesla more effective than anything I've ever used, so I tend to only use those...but I had to use the defroster a couple of times). I arrived home with 14 miles rated range left (strangely enough, when I got off the freeway I actually had 34 miles left...after stopping for my errand, I returned to the car with 22 miles left. I lost 12 miles rated range as the battery cooled sitting in the parking lot, so my continual driving range would have probably been slightly different). The moral of the story is that I found the rated range to be within 10% of the EPA rated range (which is on par with my Prius (EPA estimated 51 mpg in the city...I've been getting more like 46 in our recent cold weather...).

2) Perhaps more importantly, because Model S is an electric vehicle, the immediate focus becomes the range. "How far does it go?" is the most common question I receive when people find out the Model S is electric. I've never once been asked that by someone regarding my gas car. People will ask "What kind of gas mileage do you get?", but never do I get "How far can you go?". It just isn't how we've learned to ask questions about cars. 50 MPG means something to people. 300 Wh/mi means nothing to most people (myself included until I started driving the car), so, instead, car manufacturers have to put a mileage number on the range of the car. With gas cars, people drive at high speeds on the freeway and don't think about the impact it has on the range of their vehicle because of the abundance of gas stations. While there are far more plugs than gas stations, not all plugs are available for charging the car, so a little crafting is necessary with EV driving (at least, until the supercharger network is built out). My Model S replaced my Lexus RX450h. I regularly got 400 miles on a tank of gas in that car with my average daily driving. However, on a recent road trip I took in that car, it was full of stuff, I had a car topper on it, and I was driving at a rather healthy speed :wink:. I was able to get about 270 miles on a tank, at best. My fuel economy went from my usual 26-28 mpg to a nasty 19-21. I didn't find myself faulting Lexus for faulty advertisements or lofty goals. I recognized that my fuel economy was suffering and, in order to recover it I could a) slow down, b) unload some stuff, or c) remove the car topper. Since none of those options were things I wanted to do, I elected to pay more money in gas for the trip. Instead of making the trip in 4 gas stops like I had planned...I had to make 7 or 8. So my choices for driving the car made the price of my trip go from about $200 in gas to $400. The same idea applies to Model S. If you aren't achieving the fuel economy you want, you have to modify the way you are driving or charge more often.

As long as I can remember, the 300 mile range always came with the 55 mph disclaimer. To me, that says for real driving, I'm going to get less. Same with EPA numbers. I shoot to achieve them when I drive, but I'm not surprised if I don't. I do find it unfortunate that this information isn't slightly more publicly available from Tesla (thanks to ChadS for what he has put together on this forum), but at the same time, it isn't all that different than ICE vehicles. Whether fueled by oil or electrons, you only have a certain number of Joules worth of energy in your "tank." Your burn rate will let you know how far you can go (MPG or Wh/mi). It's a matter of all of us newbie EV drivers getting accustomed to a new unit system and how to plan based of the information the car is giving us.

32629779.jpg