Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Sig Perf reservation holder's take away from the conference call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S is too simplistic with its lack of rear seat lights:

What do you do at night time when you need to grab some item that was dropped in the back seat and you need to see?
It's never happened to me...

At night in the rear seat, how do you see the handles of the grocery bags so you know where to pick them up?
Put your groceries where they belong, at the back or in the frunk...

Are you going to take out your phone, enter its PIN, then turn on the flashlight app?
Just pressing the button on my phone usually generates enough light for my to see in the dark...

You are obviously quite agitated about what you feel are the shortcomings of the Model S...+1 to Tommy's advice of quiet diplomacy and contacting George B right away...I'd think that's your best shot of getting out of this situation asap...

Good luck & I hope this all works out for you! :smile:

The Model S is too simplistic with its lack of rear seat lights:

What do you do at night time when you need to grab some item that was dropped in the back seat and you need to see? At night in the rear seat, how do you see the handles of the grocery bags so you know where to pick them up? Are you going to take out your phone, enter its PIN, then turn on the flashlight app?

Tesla is making some big mistakes here in my opinion.

Also, I rarely need cup holders in the back seat but when I do need them, I just do dammit!

What is Tesla thinking? Who is approving these decisions? I think they are big mistakes!

You are obviously quite agitated about what you feel are the shortcomings

Looking at the situation, this was a fairly common problem for the early Prius owners (and probably Volt, Fisker, and Leaf owners as well) and some got so upset that they returned the car after purchase. The Model S (or any other car) is not a panacea, it's just a car. It will have problems and shortcomings. Are any of the cars mentioned better cars than most? If they fit with your lifestyle and you think so, then yes. But in the end they are just cars and only a certain amount of emotional attachment should be invested in them.

Out, blasphemer!!! :)

Of course you're right. It is just a car.
That's what my friends keep telling me - right after "will you shut up about this car already?"
They are planning an intervention....

like my wife :biggrin:
how was my day?
well, the stock is down and there are some more S's on the road and there was a Test drive event at...

'oh, of course you're talking about Tesla'

but it really iS just a car?

isn't it? ( I don't need or want a new car...... but)

and my take away from the conference call + stock down = more stock for me
but really, Andy is spot on (just wait till you give them a ride and they'll understand)

It's never happened to me...

Put your groceries where they belong, at the back or in the frunk...

Just pressing the button on my phone usually generates enough light for my to see in the dark...

MNX, can't you see that these are not the answers that 20,000 buyers per year will accept?

People who spend this much on a vehicle aren't going to be open to a vehicle that requires workarounds. Do you honestly think the existing 10,000 reservation holders, those who don't read these forums and most likely are blissfully ignorant to these issues, will be inclined to continue on with their purchase once they hear about this stuff in reviews? If you think so that's fine as you're entitled to opinion just as I am, but I completely disagree. I can't see non-enthusiasts outside of this forum spending this much money on something that is lacking such basic amenities, ESPECIALLY given Elon's billing of it. They are going to expect near perfection, and no amount of Tesla spin is going to part a person with that much money when it's time to buy.

Last edited:
People who spend this much on a vehicle aren't going to be open to a vehicle that requires workarounds. Do you honestly think the existing 10,000 reservation holders, those who don't read these forums and most likely are blissfully ignorant to these issues, will be inclined to continue on with their purchase once they hear about this stuff in reviews? If you think so that's fine as you're entitled to opinion just as I am, but I completely disagree. I can't see non-enthusiasts outside of this forum spending this much money on something that is lacking such basic amenities, ESPECIALLY given Elon's billing of it. They are going to expect near perfection, and no amount of Tesla spin is going to part a person with that much money when it's time to buy.

You know, a lot of us really do not care about those amenities, forum readers or not. After reading these threads, it occured to me that I actually did not know if our two existing cars (VW Touran & Nissan Leaf) had lighted mirrors, rear cupholders or rear reading lights. Turns out they both have lighted mirrors and flimsy, near-useless rear cupholders, but only the VW had rear reading lights.

Since I didn't know this, obviously they have never been used either and thus is not needed. So I simply don't care. I wouldn't pay $50 for them f it was a separate option.

My opinion is that there are a few things going on here:

1. Because no one has seen a final production car yet, there is a lot of uncertainty and doubt. In a way this is Tesla's fault for being as open as they are--not that I think that they should be closed, but given the way people are, the more information given, the more information wanted.

2. People who read the forums are sensitized to the issues. This is similar to the Sony Trinitron CRTs. They had two wires which held a screen in place against the front glass. You never saw them unless they were pointed out to you--then you never stopped seeing them.

3. Out of the list of unfulfilled wants, needs, and unsure-of items:

Safety related

spare tire
whiplash protection
LED headlights
radar pre-collision
lane-keep
driver alertness alerting
brake override

Energy related

heated steering wheel
heated seats
cooled seats
sun screen
aero wheels

Convenience

cup holders
driver storage
door storage
lighted vanity mirrors
rear reading lights
automatic mirrors
proximity sensor
adaptive cruise control
self-parking

Cost

21" rebate
Roadster HPC adapter
tire/wheel size in general

Fit and finish

fabric colour range
leather colour range
trim material choices
rear headroom
audio system performance
gaps and illusions
size

Legal and crime prevention

front license plate holder
valet option configuration screen
PDF manual

And no doubt there are others that I have missed. Everyone has multiple items which are important to them with two to four being very important. The problem is that the top items are different for different people and they change over time--sometimes because as things become known the item is either solved or becomes minor and sometimes because someone discovers something new and it becomes a hot topic.

Now it's obvious that the best car in the world would have all these things--plus the longer list of things that everyone likes (at least I sure hope it's a longer list)--and be less than $30,000, but we all know that's not a realistic goal. It's also obvious that Tesla isn't going to be able to address every one of them in the first or even second versions. My thought is that five or six of the items will become non-issues as the Model S starts rolling into production and more is known. A few, such as headroom, aren't going to be changed ever and if that's a show stopper then a Model X or Bluestar are the way to go for those folks. If we're lucky about five of the remaining items will be part of the initial release and another five will be put in after the first 1000 or so cars have been produced (and perhaps some will be retrofitted to the first 1000).

Also looking over the list, a number of them look like feeping creatures.

My opinion is that there are a few things going on here:

3. Out of the list of unfulfilled wants, needs, and unsure-of items:

Also looking over the list, a number of them look like feeping creatures.

Excellent list! You're perfectly right to not even attempt to prioritize them. that's an exercise for each one of us to do for ourselves.
I'm planning to take your list, maybe add a couple to it, and do my own soul-searching to make sure this is the car I want. (spoiler alert: yes, it is.)

Good point Andy...just how many cupholder's will the Dragon's Mars Rover have? :confused:

Maybe TMC needs to get some SpaceX design folks to help them out a bit...:biggrin:

I'll tell you if the Rover has more cupholders than the Model S, I might be forced to rethink my order... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I wonder if this debate will continue when Dragon is prepped for Mars landings...

Are you being serious with this comment Jim, or tongue in cheek?

TMC forum has under 3,000 members with under 1,000 being active...

Some folks are concerned far too much about "value proposition" and what "their" version of a $100,000 car should / shouldn't have as equipment, should / shouldn't be a certain size, etc.

It seems to me that folks are failing to appreciate the fact that you will be driving one of the coolest cars on the planet, and you will be the envy of practically all drivers out there on the street (a la Roadster).

MNX, can't you see that these are not the answers that 20,000 buyers per year will accept?

Last edited:
Forgive me, but then what exactly are the cars they've already delivered? How many times will Tesla change their definition of "in production"?

My definition would be when P cars first start getting delivered at an 80 per day rate. Before that I expect frequent tweaks--perhaps even daily ones.

Yep, and cupholders are also needed for adults. The other day we went through a drive-through. My wife was in the back with the baby and I handed her her food. Baby started to cry and since she was sitting in the center seat (where the cupholders usually fold down) she had to ask me to take the cup up front (into the front cupholders) while she put him back to sleep. This is just one of many scenarios in which a rear seat passenger might need cupholders.

I also have no problem with food in my cars, so if someone's in back eating a #1, where do they put their drink whilst munching on the fries?

So what I'm hearing is, the fold-down cupholders that many want aren't a panacea after all? ;-) ;-) ;-) j/k (mostly)