Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A simple resolution for having multiple custom lightshows at any time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you can only have one light show per USB device, I figured I might as well have a bunch of USBs for when I wanna demonstrate and or keep my favorite custom lightshows on hand! I got a combo of a usb case and 10 512mb USB sticks for about $30 on Amazon.

Hopefully this inspires someone else!
image.jpg

Here is what I did.

#1 create a folder in my iCloud named LightShows that contains all my lightshows.

#2 made an iOS shortcut and put an icon on the homepage to run the lightshows shortcut.

#3 connect my storage device (SD Card) to my iPhone and run the short cut. It will pop up a list of all the lightshow folders in my iCloud and I just choose the one I want and then it delets the current lightshow files on the memory card and replaces them with the lightshow I selected.

#4 put the memory card back into the tesla to play the show. It all takes only like 10 seconds to pull the card, load a new show and pop it back in.

I also agree that it would be great if we could just stick the drive in with everything on it and get a list to choose from on the tesla itself.

OK, I have a weird problem. I have Lightshow working on multiple drives with different show on each. I also have a small key tag attached to each so I know what show is on the drive.
I tried to create a partition on my thumb drive for LIGHTSHOW/LightShow but while that worked I saw the the Teslacam would not access the videos and Dashcam has an X. So gave up on that since Dashcam has to be priority.

Now here's the weird problem that has me stumped.
Yesterday, I decided to download the Auld_Lang_Syne show and it played just fine. Made a great video for the family. Now that Auld Lang Syne show it primary on my list and I can't delete it. I can still play the other custom shows on multiple flash drives by selecting the custom show and they play fine.

One theory is that I also received an update 2022.44.30.5 that was downloaded last evening and after the update installed, that's when I saw Auld Lang Syne was at the top of the Show list. Coincidentally, maybe Tesla has that show in the last update to play for the NewYears.

If you all also have Auld Lang Syne after getting the latest update 2022.44.30.5 then that solves my mysterious sticky show. BTW- it also plays with no USB thumb drive plugged in so that's why I believe it was embedded in the update.

Edit-
Mystery solved. I just read the release notes for the update and it confirms: Celebrate New Year's with the Auld Lang Syne What a coincidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmy4x4
For those of us with Android phone, the latest os supports reading exFat usb directly so should be able to plug in USB to phone and use a file manager app to copy necessary files right from a directory on the phone instead of using icloud.