Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sincere effort from a hater to adapt to living in a world with Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background on myself, OP - I have 6 cars in the current stable. 2020 Model 3 (daily commuter, replaced my 2014 Prius), 6.2 liter Yukon (wife and kid hauler), 650hp C6 Z06, JK Jeep on 38s, F250, and just recently a Mercedes Sprinter. Have been a car nut all my life - owned and built a bagged mini truck as well in college and wash into that scene for a few years. I practice my 2A rights, like many Georgians do.

I purchase cars for their use. EVs have very low operational cost, and when that is paired with Tesla’s supercharger network, the Tesla Model 3 can’t be beaten for those of us with long commutes or jobs that require a lot of mileage. The comfort and advanced driver assist features is well worth the price of admission and cost premium.

RE:Subsidies - I completely understand, and this goes against my own personal beliefs. So what did I do? I waited to buy my Model 3s (I’ve had two) until it dwindled away, then I bought. Many on here will say that’s stupid and a waste of money - sure, but to some of us, the principle is more important.

You know what I’ve got a problem with? The state of Georgia charging me a flat rate of $218 a year as a “road tax” for having an EV. At $0.28/gallon of fuel excise tax in Georgia, that equates to 778 gallons of fuel…which is 38,000 miles per year @ 49mpg I averaged on my previous Prius commuter. I average 20-25,000 miles per year. Sure it’s peanuts, but it’s the principle.

Teslas are great cars. There have been less and less unprovoked road rage incidents when I’m in my Model 3 versus my Z06 or my hauler - maybe folks are getting tired, maybe they’re coming around.

I hope you find your peace.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Background on myself, OP - I have 6 cars in the current stable. 2020 Model 3 (daily commuter, replaced my 2014 Prius), 6.2 liter Yukon (wife and kid hauler), 650hp C6 Z06, JK Jeep on 38s, F250, and just recently a Mercedes Sprinter. Have been a car nut all my life - owned and built a bagged mini truck as well in college and wash into that scene for a few years. I practice my 2A rights, like many Georgians do.

I purchase cars for their use. EVs have very low operational cost, and when that is paired with Tesla’s supercharger network, the Tesla Model 3 can’t be beaten for those of us with long commutes or jobs that require a lot of mileage. The comfort and advanced driver assist features is well worth the price of admission and cost premium.

RE:Subsidies - I completely understand, and this goes against my own personal beliefs. So what did I do? I waited to buy my Model 3s (I’ve had two) until it dwindled away, then I bought. Many on here will say that’s stupid and a waste of money - sure, but to some of us, the principle is more important.

You know what I’ve got a problem with? The state of Georgia charging me a flat rate of $218 a year as a “road tax” for having an EV. At $0.28/gallon of fuel excise tax in Georgia, that equates to 778 gallons of fuel…which is 38,000 miles per year @ 49mpg I averaged on my previous Prius commuter. I average 20-25,000 miles per year. Sure it’s peanuts, but it’s the principle.

Teslas are great cars. There have been less and less unprovoked road rage incidents when I’m in my Model 3 versus my Z06 or my hauler - maybe folks are getting tired, maybe they’re coming around.

I hope you find your peace.
Thanks for taking the time to contribute your two cents pl8.

Getting to know Tesla owners, some of which have philosophies which overlap my own, is helpful.

If I had a long commute, and/or lived in an area with traffic, I could easily see the use for an electric car. I can also see the benefit for people who (unlike you and me and others here) don't care about cars and just want to get to work and home with the least expense and trouble.

My outward adverse behavior towards Teslas is resolved, partly thanks to the contributors of this thread.

I pray for the day I notice them no more than Sentras and Elantras, just another car and not a personal affront at all.

Again thanks to all who contribute

You do me AND your community a service.

I honestly thought it would be helpful to the readers to better understand some of the hate the car community has regarding Teslas and EVs in general.

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Suspect even Ford will need bail-out this time (in this decade). Interesting to see what happens
Ford has been making some seriously bad long term decisions, in the US market at least, and has had some seriously bad luck on a few of their recent releases.

Their 'Mustang' is OK but a bit underwhelming, and the choice in name alienated many/most people who would ordinarily be attracted to the Mustang name.

Other than the Ford name, interior, price, dealer network, and looks (beauty being in the eye of the beholder of course) the Model Y is probably a better choice for many people

Reactions: Big Earl and Brando
Legacy ICE lobbied and still lobbying for those
In fact, GM was the biggest lobbyist to Bush Jr (W) for the original EV tax deduction, back in the EV1 days of the '90's. Tesla certainly took full advantage of the money but you can't blame them.
To the OP:
I came to EVs a bit differently. I've always believed in sustainability (spent teen years waiting in gas lines). We know we'll really run out of oil eventually, whether it is our generation or our great-great-grandkids' generation. We might as well solve the problems today, though, while oil is cheap and life is good, not after consumption of our resources has driven the world's economy into the ground like the residents of Easter Island. Also, I started in the military, then became an engineer (with nearly as good academic credentials as you). In grad school, I learned about the potential of EVs. I could not see why we were wasting so much money defending our access to oil when I saw the potential EVs gave to preserve the great car performance. I've always liked performance but didn't like leaving us vulnerable to needing access to this finite resource.
You can run EVs off of any energy source (in the early '90's I thought coal was the answer until I started seeing the temperature data)
Their performance is awesome
They have no emissions
They're extremely smooth.
They enable extremely safe vehicle design because there's no engine block to protect passengers from, or fuel tank to protect from impact/explosion.
What's really not to like?
Don't like Musk? Neither do Tesla's original Founders. I don't particularly like the guy as a person either and he probably wouldn't like me either - we've been cordial at parties but don't party together. I do, however, sincerely appreciate that he's put his money where it can accomplish the same mission I'd put mine toward if I has struck it as rich as he did. They like Tesla but not Musk. You can too. There's a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in Tesla and it isn't all Musk's.
Or you can try to find a better EV or keep enjoying your ICE. There are plenty of folks for whom an EV is the optimal car.
ps. I don't like tax subsidies to EVs, nor do I like punishment taxes on them. The government should just stay out of things that politicians can't comprehend.

Thanks for your contribution Earl.

You bring up some interesting points.

We must be about the same age; you are maybe 10 years older than me.

I need to continue to work on figuring out the source of my anger. Clearly is multifactorial.

Is it EV's per se? Probably not. As I have mentioned I recognize they do have certain advantages and I suspect in 10 years I will buy an EQS or Taycan or Lucid or whatever makes sense in 10 years time.

Is it the culture of EV's? I suspect this is a lot of it. I do not share some others concerns for global warming, fossil fuel availability, or sustainability. As we have discussed earlier in this thread much of my exposure to Tesla owners has been through mainstream car websites and social media that are typically and severely anti-Tesla. I also loathe Musk. So my opinion about the car was biased.

Aside from this group I have had little contact with actual people, so this is helpful for me to better understand the range of people Tesla drivers represent, and that I have things in common with some of them.

Riding into work today (on the Moto Guzzi, for the win!) I was pondering how I would feel if Teslas were exactly what they are, but made by Mazda or Mercedes or Volvo.

The truth is I would probably not object. Any dislike would be on quality, paint and finish, interior and exterior styling but nothing philosophical.

Ergo the problem is me.

I'm working on it.

Thanks for your contribution Earl.

You bring up some interesting points.

We must be about the same age; you are maybe 10 years older than me.

I need to continue to work on figuring out the source of my anger. Clearly is multifactorial.

Is it EV's per se? Probably not. As I have mentioned I recognize they do have certain advantages and I suspect in 10 years I will buy an EQS or Taycan or Lucid or whatever makes sense in 10 years time.

Is it the culture of EV's? I suspect this is a lot of it. I do not share some others concerns for global warming, fossil fuel availability, or sustainability. As we have discussed earlier in this thread much of my exposure to Tesla owners has been through mainstream car websites and social media that are typically and severely anti-Tesla. I also loathe Musk. So my opinion about the car was biased.

Aside from this group I have had little contact with actual people, so this is helpful for me to better understand the range of people Tesla drivers represent, and that I have things in common with some of them.

Riding into work today (on the Moto Guzzi, for the win!) I was pondering how I would feel if Teslas were exactly what they are, but made by Mazda or Mercedes or Volvo.

The truth is I would probably not object. Any dislike would be on quality, paint and finish, interior and exterior styling but nothing philosophical.

Ergo the problem is me.

I'm working on it.
It could still simply be that Elon is a giant D-bag.

Ergo the problem is me.
I don't believe it is just you nor is it necessarily a problem.

I've known a lot of rabid EV supporters and advocates who loved nothing more than to drive their wimpy Nissan Leafs in the left lane at 50 mph (65 mph speed limit and average speed closer to 70 mph) while smugly bragging they could get 100 miles of range out of it. In one forum I got into an argument, with such a person, whom I knew personally but he didn't know it was me on the forum. I suggested that, by driving so slowly and causing congestion, he could be giving everyone else on that freeway (busiest in the nation) the impression that EVs were slow and not viable for their needs. He at least had the decency to remain in the slow lane. I suggested that driving the speed limit might be more appropriate. He became enraged. He brought in friends to the forum (including a former city councilman) who began calling for me and 'my type' to be put in jail because. They claimed I was a threat to society by calling for dangerous behavior (the speed limit? - I didn't even suggest he be like me and ensure nobody ever passes me in my Leaf :). They started openly calling for a ban on ICE, maximum speed limits of 50 mph or so, etc. Just to shut down menaces like me.
When he finally did learn it was me, he immediately posted my home address on the forum and called for action against me personally. Fortunately, the forum owner was a friend of mine and responded quickly to my text and took down the post (actually, he killed the whole thread) and no harm came to me.

They, of course, naively (stupidly?) believe that the statement being made by driving slowly in their EVs would encourage others to adopt their lifestyle.

Who was the problem here?

I unfortunately, understand this guy and never hated him myself. He meant well but not everyone is smart enough to be able to comprehend the consequences of their actions. He has done a lot of good things in the promotion of EVs. Much more positive than negative. I, personally, forgive him of this episode where he let his passion cloud his judgement and action. We do talk again now but avoid that episode in our lives.

The behavior of this guy and his ilk could certainly justify your anger if that's your view of EV drivers and supporters.

This guy and his crowd truly can be dangerous if allowed to start passing stupid laws forcing their way. It's probably wise for you to at least be wary of some EVangelists and other over-the-top environmentalists. Over-zealous belief in one's righteousness can be a dangerous thing.

I encourage you to dig deeper into EVs and learn the truth so that you can separate the truth from the nonsense and come up with your own conclusions.

What an odd incident with your friend/forum member.

We sometimes get over-passionate about this stuff.

Its a car (maybe lifestyle) not a religion.

Even if it was a religion you want to bring people in not push them away.

I will continually remind myself of what I just said there next time I'm getting agitated.

I actually know a lot about EV's, I'd wager more than most people who own them.

I've only driven two however so far and that was a couple years ago.

What an odd incident with your friend/forum member.

We sometimes get over-passionate about this stuff.

Its a car (maybe lifestyle) not a religion.

Even if it was a religion you want to bring people in not push them away.

I will continually remind myself of what I just said there next time I'm getting agitated.

I actually know a lot about EV's, I'd wager more than most people who own them.

I've only driven two however so far and that was a couple years ago.

Ah, interesting that you have driven a couple. I was going to recommend that you test drive a Tesla, or maybe do a Turo for one to get a real feel for what it's all about. As an interesting science/anthropology/personal-growth experiment, not necessarily to buy.

The reason I suggest that is because you are clearly a "car-guy," like you have found a lot of us are here on the TMC forums. My previous car that I just sold was a Porsche Boxster, and I've had BMWs, and for the really deep car-guys, I bought GMC Typhoon new. I'm a car-guy first and foremost, and I absolutely love the Model 3 off the line performance, and like the cornering and handling well (not up to Boxster spec, but damn good for a car this big.) And my car is the piddly cheap-o version the SR, not even SR+, let alone the actual Performance model 3. I'd skip the Model Y, in terms of car-guy/performance, too many drawbacks.

Anyway, I think that even as a car guy, you might find the Model 3 an interesting ride.

Nice to talk with you bo3bdar

I have driven two Tesla‘s; there are no Tesla dealerships where I live in Eastern Washington, but when I was at a medical conference in San Diego a couple of years ago I checked a few out.

I drove a model S, and a Model 3 Performance. I thought the S was quite nice. Comfortable, fairly quiet, and driven conservatively a very nice ride. Pushed into corners, I thought it was ponderous, but for the most part a pretty nice car.

The Model 3 Performance was interesting. It certainly had good acceleration, but an overly firm and choppy ride. Probably at least partially because of a very low profile tires and it’s weight.

I went over both cars with a fine tooth comb. I did indeed find the usual issues that people comment on. Blems in the paint, misaligned trim, and a very annoying squeak/rattle in somewhere in the drivers door of the Model 3.

The S was put together a little bit better. I was impressed with the cruise control/lane keeping features. I thought that it worked pretty well, and if I lived in a place that had a lot of traffic I would’ve considered that to be a major blessing.

…..My outward adverse behavior towards Teslas is resolved, partly thanks to the contributors of this thread……
I’m so happy to read this. When I read your first post I was genuinely worried about you, and almost stopped reading any further. I normally try to stay away from negativity, but your ability to further discussion is an admirable quality, and kept me engaged. Congratulations. Admission of a problem is the first step, looking from an alternative viewpoint is always helpful, and in my view, the best way to understand the universe. Your contribution to this forum, has been a positive for me and I thank you for that.

Everyone has different hobbies and we should not begrudge anyone else the freedom of their hobbies. I’ve never been interested in cars, so it’s hard for me to understand such passion, but I don’t judge others for theirs. Everyone should be granted freedom for their hobbies, and knowledge to realize when a hobby crosses the line into an obsession.

FWIW, I learned to drive in my sub-teens in a 57 Chevy, eventually driving it legally to our local dump through much of my formidable years. Now, that particular vehicle is a garage queen, after a costly restoration, which in my opinion serves little purpose to society. Again, I don’t begrudge the owner’s hobby, but feel that the car has served better in it’s original work days. Cars are tools to get a job done that couldn’t be done otherwise. Once we remember/realize this fact, clarity is obtained. Otherwise, it’s just a big pair of antlers that get hauled around to show off to the others.

Living in the highly conservative side of WA, I try to focus on the national security aspect of EVs, so as to not alienate others. EVs are the future, and for most uses, are the present. EVs do not do “everything,” but instead are great alternatives to gasoline vehicles because of time saving (charging at home vs weekly trips to gas station/Costco), daily preheating, cost savings vs gas, and the reduced maintenance (I’ve done essentially no maintenance in 10 years except wipers and tires). For daily driving, there is nothing better than an EV, and it is my first choice for vehicular driving.

In reality, no single vehicle does every job perfectly and EVs are best suited for short, in-town trips, and commuting, essentially 90% of driving needs. Driving a F350 to get smokes or a slushy a half mile away just seems, well, sad. Towing 1000+ miles into the Alaskan bush just isn’t possible with an EV, but it doesn’t make the vehicle “bad.” High mileage users will see the best financial savings, especially in lower electrical cost areas, like WA. FWIW, I’ve driven an EV across the west, into British Columbia, Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arizona, and California.

Perhaps a little known fact, every dollar not spent on gasoline stays in the local community (city, state, nation) much longer. WA state has no oil wells, so every oil dollar leaves the state economy. In contrast, WA state is awash in hydroelectric power, and must sell it to CA for pennies. Seems perfectly business oriented to me.

FYI, to see where I’m coming from, attached is a picture on the wall at a local HS, and a letterman’s jacket (Richland Bombers). I doubt there are many other HS in the nation with “bombers” as their mascot. National security is the very core of this community, which was literally formed in WWII to produce plutonium for the war effort. For the past few decades, national security has centered around petroleum resources, which are mostly imported from the Middle East. Together we can reduce our reliance on those resources.

1Moriguchi%20and%20Bomber_Hero.png

5dff01db5acb8a854ef5ec4576a8aea6.jpg

Reactions: Canyonero
I love old cars, owned 30 odd clunkers, favorites were the '76 2002, 86 Land Cruiser (Ursa, rusty, cried a bit when she drove off), and the 65 Volvo 122 we still have.

But no way will I ever buy another ICE car new. My number 1 motivation is to reduce my carbon footprint as fast as I can afford to. After owning a Y for a week and a half, I may only buy Teslas from now on.

We keep cars for 10-15 years. Our last car was a 2012 Outback, that the Tesla replaced (ok, actually the 2014 that insurance bought for us after the 12 was totaled by a texting teenager). Next in line for replacement is the 2004 Forester that my dad bought new. Probably wait for the smaller rumored Tesla.

I just drove a friend's 2 year old BMW X3, and wow, not impressed. Nice, but not that nice. Now where near the quiet power and handling of the Y. Way too complicated controls. Ugly dash. Slow.

IDK, I'm just REALLY furious that we've done as much intentional damage as we have to the planet. Our sweet little cabin on a lake in N Idaho is basically uninhabitable for most of July and/or August with the smoke. I know my driving a Tesla is not going to solve anything, but if the planet's going to burn, f--- it, I'm having fun with the time we have left.

There is a Tesla dealer in Spokane, one coming soon in Liberty Lake. You can drive one there. The newer ones have better build quality (mostly) than years ago.

I also don't really blame anyone for the mess we're in, outside the proven conspiracy in the first half of the 20th century to rip out all the local rail systems to sell more cars, and the big oil companies for sitting on their own research that showed we'd kill the planet if we kept burning oil.

It's complicated. I still love old cars, and will always own a few, just as antiques at least, eventually barely drive them.
ICE cars are not clean.Every gallon of gas burned in a new car puts the same amount of carbon in the air as a gallon burned in a 1961 Cadillac. We collectively burn more gas than ever, regardless of the efficiency of any single car.

So you can be sad for the end of a century old technology the should have been killed 50 years ago. I'm sad for the end of summers with breathable air and lakes with water in them in California.

I’m so happy to read this. When I read your first post I was genuinely worried about you, and almost stopped reading any further. I normally try to stay away from negativity, but your ability to further discussion is an admirable quality, and kept me engaged. Congratulations. Admission of a problem is the first step, looking from an alternative viewpoint is always helpful, and in my view, the best way to understand the universe. Your contribution to this forum, has been a positive for me and I thank you for that.

Everyone has different hobbies and we should not begrudge anyone else the freedom of their hobbies. I’ve never been interested in cars, so it’s hard for me to understand such passion, but I don’t judge others for theirs. Everyone should be granted freedom for their hobbies, and knowledge to realize when a hobby crosses the line into an obsession.

FWIW, I learned to drive in my sub-teens in a 57 Chevy, eventually driving it legally to our local dump through much of my formidable years. Now, that particular vehicle is a garage queen, after a costly restoration, which in my opinion serves little purpose to society. Again, I don’t begrudge the owner’s hobby, but feel that the car has served better in it’s original work days. Cars are tools to get a job done that couldn’t be done otherwise. Once we remember/realize this fact, clarity is obtained. Otherwise, it’s just a big pair of antlers that get hauled around to show off to the others.

Living in the highly conservative side of WA, I try to focus on the national security aspect of EVs, so as to not alienate others. EVs are the future, and for most uses, are the present. EVs do not do “everything,” but instead are great alternatives to gasoline vehicles because of time saving (charging at home vs weekly trips to gas station/Costco), daily preheating, cost savings vs gas, and the reduced maintenance (I’ve done essentially no maintenance in 10 years except wipers and tires). For daily driving, there is nothing better than an EV, and it is my first choice for vehicular driving.

In reality, no single vehicle does every job perfectly and EVs are best suited for short, in-town trips, and commuting, essentially 90% of driving needs. Driving a F350 to get smokes or a slushy a half mile away just seems, well, sad. Towing 1000+ miles into the Alaskan bush just isn’t possible with an EV, but it doesn’t make the vehicle “bad.” High mileage users will see the best financial savings, especially in lower electrical cost areas, like WA. FWIW, I’ve driven an EV across the west, into British Columbia, Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arizona, and California.

Perhaps a little known fact, every dollar not spent on gasoline stays in the local community (city, state, nation) much longer. WA state has no oil wells, so every oil dollar leaves the state economy. In contrast, WA state is awash in hydroelectric power, and must sell it to CA for pennies. Seems perfectly business oriented to me.

FYI, to see where I’m coming from, attached is a picture on the wall at a local HS, and a letterman’s jacket (Richland Bombers). I doubt there are many other HS in the nation with “bombers” as their mascot. National security is the very core of this community, which was literally formed in WWII to produce plutonium for the war effort. For the past few decades, national security has centered around petroleum resources, which are mostly imported from the Middle East. Together we can reduce our reliance on those resources.

1Moriguchi%20and%20Bomber_Hero.png

5dff01db5acb8a854ef5ec4576a8aea6.jpg
Good morning Reddy.

We are neighbors!

I greatly appreciate your understanding and patience with me and your contribution to this thread.

It would mean a lot to me if someday you could show me your car and chat a bit with me.

I could trade you a local flight in my airplane :)

I'm with Kadlec and keep my plane at Richland.

I love old cars, owned 30 odd clunkers, favorites were the '76 2002, 86 Land Cruiser (Ursa, rusty, cried a bit when she drove off), and the 65 Volvo 122 we still have.

But no way will I ever buy another ICE car new. My number 1 motivation is to reduce my carbon footprint as fast as I can afford to. After owning a Y for a week and a half, I may only buy Teslas from now on.

We keep cars for 10-15 years. Our last car was a 2012 Outback, that the Tesla replaced (ok, actually the 2014 that insurance bought for us after the 12 was totaled by a texting teenager). Next in line for replacement is the 2004 Forester that my dad bought new. Probably wait for the smaller rumored Tesla.

I just drove a friend's 2 year old BMW X3, and wow, not impressed. Nice, but not that nice. Now where near the quiet power and handling of the Y. Way too complicated controls. Ugly dash. Slow.

IDK, I'm just REALLY furious that we've done as much intentional damage as we have to the planet. Our sweet little cabin on a lake in N Idaho is basically uninhabitable for most of July and/or August with the smoke. I know my driving a Tesla is not going to solve anything, but if the planet's going to burn, f--- it, I'm having fun with the time we have left.

There is a Tesla dealer in Spokane, one coming soon in Liberty Lake. You can drive one there. The newer ones have better build quality (mostly) than years ago.

I also don't really blame anyone for the mess we're in, outside the proven conspiracy in the first half of the 20th century to rip out all the local rail systems to sell more cars, and the big oil companies for sitting on their own research that showed we'd kill the planet if we kept burning oil.

It's complicated. I still love old cars, and will always own a few, just as antiques at least, eventually barely drive them.
ICE cars are not clean.Every gallon of gas burned in a new car puts the same amount of carbon in the air as a gallon burned in a 1961 Cadillac. We collectively burn more gas than ever, regardless of the efficiency of any single car.

So you can be sad for the end of a century old technology the should have been killed 50 years ago. I'm sad for the end of summers with breathable air and lakes with water in them in California.
I share your feelings on the X3. Not a quality effort on BMWs part and a poor off roader as well. Overall I've not been impressed by BMW for many years, although my girlfriend/SO has an M3. It's OK.

I'm just south of you in the Tri Cities.

Where is your cabin?

Hayden Lake?
CDA?
Sandpoint?
Priest Lake? (my personal favorite on the list)

I also am bothered by the smoke. A couple weeks last summer were a bear and conditions trapped me with my plane in Redding on a trip back from real estate shopping on the central California coast. Had to leave the plane there and drive a rental home and fly back with a friend to retrieve the pane a month later. Stressful PIA and $$$ too.

With that said I am not concerned about global warming per se or CO2 and that would not affect my car buying decisions.

Much like you said, ' I know my driving a Tesla is not going to solve anything, but if the planet's going to burn, f--- it, I'm having fun with the time we have left.'

Me too!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. It helps me.

Reactions: OxBrew
I share your feelings on the X3. Not a quality effort on BMWs part and a poor off roader as well. Overall I've not been impressed by BMW for many years, although my girlfriend/SO has an M3. It's OK.

I'm just south of you in the Tri Cities.

Where is your cabin?

Hayden Lake?
CDA?
Sandpoint?
Priest Lake? (my personal favorite on the list)

I also am bothered by the smoke. A couple weeks last summer were a bear and conditions trapped me with my plane in Redding on a trip back from real estate shopping on the central California coast. Had to leave the plane there and drive a rental home and fly back with a friend to retrieve the pane a month later. Stressful PIA and $$$ too.

With that said I am not concerned about global warming per se or CO2 and that would not affect my car buying decisions.

Much like you said, ' I know my driving a Tesla is not going to solve anything, but if the planet's going to burn, f--- it, I'm having fun with the time we have left.'

Me too!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. It helps me.
Lake Pend Oreille