Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A solution for smelly Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To prevent smelly air in my MS, I have been turning off the AC and fan on level 7 for a few minutes to dry out the condenser after each trip. I was thinking that it would be nice if Tesla could make that automated with software. Basically an option to turn AC off with fan running for 5 minutes after exiting the car.
Anyone have experience requesting features?
Cheers!

Move out of Indiana?

Some poor devils.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: dark cloud
Never had the issue in my S, but known issue in the Y (including my Wifes). Solution is to remove the cabin filters (apparently the root cause is location of these filters from factory), spray this into the filter location area, spraying towards firewall, let dry, replace with new filters.

and I did read somewhere were Tesla did update software to keep fans running for X amount of time after you left the car. But not sure when the update came out, and for which models, whether it was effective at solving the issue, etc

Last edited:
Yes, i change the cabin filter yearly, as well as spraying foam condenser cleaner up the drain tube annually. But the smell came back after several months in the summer (just when the ac first starts, then it goes away). Running the fan with AC off for a few minutes after leaving the car mitigated that, but somewhat annoying and forget sometimes.

Yes, i change the cabin filter yearly, as well as spraying foam condenser cleaner up the drain tube annually. But the smell came back after several months in the summer (just when the ac first starts, then it goes away). Running the fan with AC off for a few minutes after leaving the car mitigated that, but somewhat annoying and forget sometimes.
On the Y, key is to spray the foam directly onto the evaporator, (more effective than via drain tube?) which is apparently reachable from inside the cabin filter compartment.

Last edited:
For the MS, remove the frunk tub and you will see a drain tube near the firewall center. Insert the spray cleaner nozzle up the drain tube until it bottoms out, then empty the cleaner. Wait for maybe 15 minutes for it turn into liquid and drains out. Run the fan for a few minutes to dry out.
Is this for the refreshed MS or the version made prior to 1/2021?

Revisiting this thread..on my 2022 refresh S, I've yet to have the smell at all.
It did return on my wifes Y, but it goes away within about..15 seconds after getting into the car/car powers up/AC turns on.