Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A specific washer fluid needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not about stopping the screenwash from freezing, it's about enabling it to help de-ice the screen in very cold weather. Last time I had the heated screenwash gadget fitted to a car it was great for quickly de-icing the screen, and less hassle than either using a spray or waiting for the demister to impart enough warmth to the screen to melt the ice.

On a Model 3 though that would mean dragging the windscreen wipers across a frozen screen. A good way to knacker the wiper blades.

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
The Tesla does allow easy pre condition so you can get to the car and its already defrosted - in very damp and cold conditions this is a necessity as the door handles can freeze shut as water gets behind them and that creates a frozen bond that requires an uncomfortable amount of force to break.

Unfortunately pre conditioning takes a lot of energy which can zap your range (even if on shore power as it can draw more power than the electrical hookup can deliver) and is often at a time when the electricity grid is in its less environmentally friendly production.

So we use it very sparingly unless we think the door handles are frozen so will need a considerable duration.

If 7.5kW of shore power is available for pre-conditioning, I find it difficult to believe any additional battery draw will have a greater impact on range than warming up the car purely from the battery after setting off. Is this what is being suggested? I fully accept that total power consumption is likely to be higher if pre-conditioning though x but it is nice to drive off with a nice warm car!

If 7.5kW of shore power is available for pre-conditioning, I find it difficult to believe any additional battery draw will have a greater impact on range than warming up the car purely from the battery after setting off. Is this what is being suggested?

Not sure on your interpretation. But the point is that pulling 7kW (say 2-1/2kWh total) [plus the shortfall from battery] from the grid at 7am is often not as kind to the grid as pulling everything from the battery at 7am having added an extra 2-1/2kWh to the battery at a time when grid had lower carbon footprint. If you don't need the range, its not a huge issue taking it from battery - imho, additional regen from warming battery is not a huge impact under most circumstances.

Not a good example as overnight is bad tonight, but not normally the case. Tomorrow afternoon and especially evening is a good time over next 24 hours. Source Carbon Intensity
upload_2020-11-19_22-10-49.png

Last edited:
It's probably been known to everyone but me, but I've only just found the reason most of my washer jets were blocked was because I have been using dilute washing-up detergent and apparently there's silicone added to some of these which gels and blocks the jets. One jet is impossible to clear. Just saying.

Up here in North Eastern Scotland where I have seen temperatures down to the minus 20'sC occasionally and more commonly the minus teens. ( although not in th last 2 or 3 years) I begin putting neat -25C washer fluid in to the car from late November and then just add diluted from March.
About 5 years ago Lidl stopped selling a great -30C screenwash which always sold out. That never froze when neat.

I've had the model 3 for 15 months, driven 12K miles and not filled the screenwash yet.

14 months here ... I thought I should top up in late winter last year .... turns out I'd hardly used any but put in as much as it would take just to be sure (barely more than a dribble!) ... anyway, since then I've not even looked and it's still got fluid when I press the button! If there were prizes for efficient use of washer fluid the Model 3 would win hands down. When I first used wash/wipe I did wonder about this idea of the parsimonious dispensing from the wiper itself but I have to admit that it seems to be enough to do the job. Thankfully I don't need to do nose to tail driving on busy roads very often as I imagine you still go through it in those conditions.

It's probably been known to everyone but me, but I've only just found the reason most of my washer jets were blocked was because I have been using dilute washing-up detergent and apparently there's silicone added to some of these which gels and blocks the jets. One jet is impossible to clear. Just saying.
It’s also important that you don’t just use water, say during the summer.

I did that several years ago on a Kia C’eed and after a few months both jets were blocked. I had it diagnosed at the local Kia dealer, had to pay a diagnosis charge, only to be told that they recommended replacing the whole window-washer system - reservoir, pump, pipe work and nozzles. They said that plain water causes algae to build up in the pipes, blocking the system.

Baulking at the dealer quote, my neighbour and I eventually cleared the blockages with the use of bleach and finally, an air compressor!

Ever since then I’ve always used proper screen wash all year round. Usually the gallon containers of the blue stuff at Aldi ;)

The Tesla does allow easy pre condition so you can get to the car and its already defrosted - in very damp and cold conditions this is a necessity as the door handles can freeze shut as water gets behind them and that creates a frozen bond that requires an uncomfortable amount of force to break.

Unfortunately pre conditioning takes a lot of energy which can zap your range (even if on shore power as it can draw more power than the electrical hookup can deliver) and is often at a time when the electricity grid is in its less environmentally friendly production.

So we use it very sparingly unless we think the door handles are frozen so will need a considerable duration.
Preconditioning the car is one of the favourite perks for me. Happy to burn some e on defrosting the windows and warming up the cabin before I get in it!

This reminds me of a time, in a previous life, (2003-2006) when I had a part time job delivering demonstrator cars, primarily Renault, out of the Southampton docks.
We'd turn up at 6am for a long run and go out with 5 cars with one car being used as a taxi until the last car had been dropped off and other cars had been picked up. Then the taxi car would be dropped off and one of the others would take the "Taxi" driver to his pick up car and all head back to Southampton.
This particular morning we were in 5 Renault Senics heading for garages and companies in Wales. It was a couple of degrees above freezing when we left the docks but soon dropped below and by the time we got onto the M4 at about 0730 it was a hard frost.
We'd all done the checks beore leaving the docks an that included washer fluid. By the time we were on the M4 all the cars spray nozzles bar one had frozen up and the salt on the motorway made it night impossible to see out of the windscreen so we each took it in turn driving behind the lead car, who must have had proper screenwash instead of our water, and he sprayed his washersover each of us in turn, with each of us catching a small amount of overspray, giving enough visibility for us to continue. Just one of some crazy stories from that time.

• Funny
Reactions: Zakalwe